PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin' Blocks Night Owl

kimsophia
November 20th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Oh owie, the Bulls led the Clippers for three quarters and then fell apart in the fourth... I set up my rotary mat on the dining room table and cut out this crazy quilt pattern during the game.

http://gladcreationsquilts.blogspot.com/2014/06/scrap-crazy-6.html

It was so simple that I was able to make my own 6 inch block templates on some mylar plastic I had on hand. I think I have 29 blocks cut out but I'm not sure...I'm kinda thinkin' of makin' a Kaffe table runner for Thanksgiving...so how are the other owls tonight? :icon_wave: Hoot hoot!

bubba
November 20th, 2016, 04:18 AM
I'm pooped and trying to make it thru the news. Got a Seahawks wallet made today and tomorrow will be making a Mariners.

We've been running the gas fireplace the past few days as MM gets chilly. Yoda normally lays on the couch in the TV room where the fireplace is, but he's moved himself out to the other room tonight as it's too warm for him! MM almost made it to 9pm before he went to bed tonight....he did not take a nap today, so that was pretty good for him! The chemo still has his tummy upset this week, and the aroma, we like to call funk, came back again. That almost puts me over the edge! I got a whiff of that and headed to the sewing studio. I could not even describe what it smells like, except for funk! Those chemicals really have a mind of their own. I'm just hoping they are doing what they are supposed to be doing!

Granny Judy
November 20th, 2016, 04:37 AM
I'm up and here checking the DD.. Got to finish piecing a top (orphan blocks) and get it sandwiched. I'm at the making rows part, so will soon have another flimsy to work with.

Bubba, it is hard to get thru some days when your loved one is going thru Chemo... Often I would have to take a walk... and have a little talk with the "man upstairs". I found doing nutri - bullet drinks helped my DD with the stomach problems. Lots of Plain yogurt was added to them. Along with honey and oranges. You can make a good drink with a blender if you have one.

Some day I want to do a Crazy Quilt... there are so many notions and nic nacs you can add.. But alas it will have to wait and go to the bottom on my "TO DO" list. I have a friend who wants me to put together a top that HER G/mother started.. It's a paying gig, so I will be kept busy with that project. Waiting for her to drop off the fabric/kit/ project. Still don't know what the pattern is.

I swore I wouldn't do another vintage piecing after the one from the Paternal Greats since they were hand sewn and they never squared up anything. They tied quilts so didn't have to worry about the fabric laying flat...smooth. I'm just hoping this one isn't the same way... each project has it's own set of challenges.

Judy, USMC
November 20th, 2016, 05:32 AM
It got downright cold here tonight! I'm sitting here in sweats ... and (pardon the image) Steve is in his shorts and shirtless. One of us has a broken thermostat for sure. Been following MM's progress, Pat, even though I don't post very much. Just know you both are often in my thoughts.

Kim - I've discovered some crazy quilt methods on the Caron and other sites. They are larger than 6" so I will be investigating them for doing next year. Uncovered a tote I had from my ribbon weaving days so I do have some materials to work with along with some pearl cotton and beads. So I have the materials ... just need the right method and time.

Judy - here's congrats on the paying gig and fingers crossed they give you flat blocks to work with.

Y'all stay comfy!

bubba
November 20th, 2016, 05:57 AM
You know, I'd love to make him drinks w/the yogurt in them because I think it would settle his stomach down, however, he will not partake of yogurt in any way/shape/form!

kimsophia
November 20th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Well, these are the blocks I've cut, but they seem too wide for a table runner to me...what do you think?137268137269

LauraP
November 20th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Bubba, use acidophilus instead. It comes in liquid or pill form and basically it's all the good stuff out of the yogurt. Keefer milk is another option. If you don't replace the bacteria in the stomach and intestines that the chemicals kill, he will end up with thrush. My MIL is fighting that and it's not pretty. It has now spread from her mouth down her throat. We finally convinced her to try yogurt and she says it isn't hurting as much.

LauraP
November 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM
How about just two blocks wide on the runner? I like your colors.

grammaterry
November 20th, 2016, 11:33 AM
They're not too big. If you still think so when you finish...get a bigger table. lol
Well, these are the blocks I've cut, but they seem too wide for a table runner to me...what do you think?137268137269

Claire Hallman
November 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Very pretty colors.
They will shrink when the rows are sewn. Overlap them a bit so you get a better idea of the size or sew two rows together first, then decide.

kimsophia
November 21st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Grammaterry: new table, ha ha! :D

Claire: well I don't know what I did wrong but these are so off-kilter when I sew them together that I have to trim them to five inch blocks, so they don't look too big now...but they sure are cute charm blocks! I wonder if Kaffe would ever put out cheater quilt fabric for less talented quilters (like me)! :P