• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Longstocking
    Applique Angel
    • Mar 2011

Vinyl for Dog Door

My husband built our outdoor dog an insulated dog house. It still needs a door. An actual pet door is at least $80. How about a mud flap? $60 for the two we would need! So, I'm stumped. We need this as inexpensive as possible. Hoping for under $30. Any idea if there's heavy duty thick plastic or vinyl that's still flexible?
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: Vinyl for Dog Door

Yes, check joanne's in the upholstery fabric section. Last time I bought some it was about $10 per yard, and chances are you won't need that much.

Comment

• Granny Judy
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2011

I remember seeing those vinyl strips on the door ways when visiting/touring a meat packers factory... would something like that help??
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

• stationarymom
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2013

would something like a vinyl runner for the floor work? You should be able to cut the amount you need.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• TMP
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2014

I also think the clear vinyl floor runner stuff ( they sell it at Home Depot and Lowes by the foot). It has a nice thickness to it. I think they had two types one that was smooth on both sides and one that has pointy things on it. I also think Walmart (in the sewing section) has clear vinyl but I don't think it is as thick as the floor runner stuff. I use the smooth for shelve lining in my kitchen cabinets.
          Teresa
          Pelham, Alabama
          War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Claire Hallman
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

How about a wooden door with small hinges? Will the dog push through any of these? Is s/he used to a doggie door? When my dad would build dog houses he would put a short wall just inside the door as a windbreak. The dog would go in the door and turn left then go around the windbreak to curl up and sleep.
            Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• shirleyknot
              Banned
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2014

I used an old rug, folded in half over a wooden bar, then screwed the wood on above the door. Works great, lasts long and cost me nothing.

Comment

• bakermom
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                How about a wooden door with small hinges? Will the dog push through any of these? Is s/he used to a doggie door? When my dad would build dog houses he would put a short wall just inside the door as a windbreak. The dog would go in the door and turn left then go around the windbreak to curl up and sleep.
                That's what my dad did too. He also put burlap over the door opening. Seemed to work pretty well.
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• snippet
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2012

What about a vinyl tablecloth or canvas from the home dec section? Add magnets to the sides and bottom like the screen door commercial so they snap close.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

I was going to mention the windbreak too. I've seen a lot of people use that for their outdoor dogs in the winter. A good layer of hay on the floor inside works nice too to keep them warm.

I purchased a bolt of heavy outdoor canvas type of material to redo a couch out side but never got around to sewing it. The couch has since been tossed. It would probably work well for a door flap and the price would be right (free). PM me if you'd like me to mail it to you. Just let me know the size of the fabric you'd need (maybe make it double thickness). This is very wide fabric, it's light greys with yellow flowers and some white. I'm thinking you could also place some type of weights in a bottom hem that would help keep the door flexible but closed.
                    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• meliswan
                      Applique Angel
                      • Apr 2014

What about a doormat?
                      Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X