PDA

View Full Version : The Children

Alana
December 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
They huddled inside the storm door-two children in ragged outgrown coats.
"Any old papers, Lady?"
I was very busy, I wanted to say no, until I looked down at their feet. Thin little sandals, sopped with sleet. "Come on in and I'll make you a cup of cocoa." There was no conversation. Their soggy sandals left marks on the clean hearthstone.
Cocoa and cake would fortify against the chill outside. After serving them, I went back to the kitchen and started on my household budget as the sat enjoying the warmth.
After a few minutes, the silence in the front room struck through to me. I looked in.
The girl held the empty cup in her hands looking at it. The boy asked in a flat voice, "Are you rich lady?"
"Am I rich? Mercy no!" I looked at my shabby slipcovers.
The girl put her cup back in its saucer carefully. "Your cups match your saucers." Her voice was old with a hunger that was not of the stomach.
They left then, holding their bundles of papers against the wind. They hadn't said thank you, they didn't need to. They had done more than that. Plain blue pottery cups and saucers - but they matched. I tested the potatoes and stirred the gravy. Potatoes and brown gravy, a roof over our heads, my husband with a good steady job--these things matched too.
I moved the chairs back from the fire and tidied the living room. The muddy prints of small sandals were still set upon my hearth, I let them be. I want them there in case I ever forget how very rich I am.
Anonymous

stitching woman
December 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM
We forget how truly rich we are if we have a roof over our head and our health. What more can we ask for? May God bless each and everyone of you. Thanks Alana for reminding us we are truly blessed.

sewmuchjan
December 18th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you Alana. May God Bless you all and fill you with joy and peace this Christmas. Love your friend Jan G. I am truly Blessed to have all of you here and that makes me as rich as Rockerfella!!!

Merry Christmas one and all!!!

meemeecyn
December 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Beautiful. Thank you for the reminder......great story!

Sharon G
December 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Wonderful story Alana, and of course a timely reminder of just how lucky we are.

A very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas to all !

Shaz

Blondie
December 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Good morning, Alana
Thank you for such a great reminder that blessings come in all shapes, sizes, and at this time of year, it is always a blessing to remember those who have so little.
Blessings to you!
ps - love your siggie line.

Blondie

quilter.martha
December 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
A beautiful story, thanks so much for sharing. We are truly blessed--may we never forget to give thanks to Him who is the provider of all good things.

Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Bubby
December 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you for sharing that, Alana, and isn't it so true? I thank the Lord every day for the multitude of blessings in our lives.

Merry Christmas and God Bless you All!

CrazyMtnLady
December 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM
What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

My God bless all of you with warmth and happiness this Christmas and throughout the new year.

janluna
December 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
We also are blessed! We have good friends in all of you. We have a home and food and warmth on the coldest night. We have our Savior, the most Blessed gift from Our Father in Heaven. We live in a wonderful country. We are truly Blessed. We have been given the gift of prayer for our Granddaughter. And we give thanks for that.
May you all be Blest with the Love of Christ, sent from Heaven above, to save us sinners here below. Have a Merry Christmas and a new and wonderful 2012. And Thank You All for the love and support you have shown for this family. Yours in Christ, Jan L.

Nena
December 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Nicely said. Thank you for sharing. It is good to be reminded every now and then on how lucky and fortunate we are. I feel very blessed and am thankful for all of my blessings. It is good to share----Blessings to everyone.

Monique
December 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Alana, an inspiring story. Thanks.

I never dreamed that when I joined this forum, just how much more than quilting it is. You have made me cry, made me laugh, picked me up when I was down, you have given me courage to quilt more, and you have let me into your lives. I have never seen a negative comment. You may not realize how much you have come to mean to me. So I feel very blessed to have you all in my life. Although the miles separate us, I feel close to you all.

God bless you all.