PDA

View Full Version : It's Tuesday and I am back home!

Monique
September 20th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Good morning friends. Yes, I am back, got home around 6 pm last night, safe and sound and without incident. WOW!! What a beautiful country we live in. From the Badlands of Alberta, to the flat lands of Saskatchewan and Manitoba to the Rockies in British Columbia, the humungous trees on Vancouver Island, spectacular. Ontario has beautiful forests and lakes. If you haven't experienced these you have to at least once in your lifetime. Sleeping in the van was really cool too. We spent 2 nights in a cabin, 2 nights in a hotel/motel room, 1 night at my brother's and the rest in the van. Campsites are relatively inexpensive. BBQ just about every night with a bonfire under the stars. I got to see where Greg used to live in Lake Cowichan and meet his neighbours who took good care of him while he was there. I got to see my brother after 6 years and my two nephews, one I haven't seen in 30 years. I got a brief look at Victoria. Beautiful.

The badlands of Alberta showed us where the dinasaurs lived. Thunder Bay showed us the monument to Terry Fox, which we did not know existed. Duncan, BC showed us the biggest hockey stick in the world, Wawa gave us a Goose. BC offered us spectacular views of snow capped mountains. Jasper was exceptional, with elk and mountain sheep and such clear lakes. One road in particular scared the sh***t out of both of us. NEVER AGAIN!! This supposed highway was death defying to say the least. At one point high above the ground, probably a thousand feet or so, no guardrails, construction going on, hair pinned curves, going downhill, meeting motor homes with no lines on the road, smelling the rubber from the brakes and praying to get to the bottom safely. Not much scares Les, but he was scared at this point. We rented a cabin that night for our frayed nerves.

Being above the clouds one morning and going downhill for 13km or 8 miles on a 13% slope. You hoped that the breaks would not fail or we were dead. I prayed lots to my Dad to keep us safe and he did.

I haven't had time to take the pictures off my camera yet. That alone may take a day, I took so many.

I only had the opportunity to visit one quilt shop and that was in Drumheller and the last day for the free pattern for Row by Row.

It was a wonderful experience but I am not sure if I would do it again. The only thing missing was having my son on the West Coast to greet us. He is currently on the East Coast on training.

It's good to be home. I have missed you all.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Your trip sounds fantastic! So glad you got to see so much and are back home safe and sound! And of course, we missed you while you were gone! Welcome home!

Bubby
September 20th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Welcome home Monique!! So glad to hear you had a wonderful trip. Jeff and I would love to ride the train through Canada. You certainly do live in a glorious country.

It's possible that sweet Olive will get to come home this evening. They are doing an infusion as a preventive measure for future UTIs.

I have some housework and laundry today. I'm waiting on some fabric for our Christmas quilt.

Wishing everyone a great Tuesday.

Ginny B
September 20th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Good morning all and welcome home Monique! That sounds like an absolutely awesome trip! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Barb, I hope Olive gets to come home today.

Have a super Tuesday everyone.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
September 20th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Welcome Monike, it seems that the trip has been wonderfull, so many amazing things to see, your country is so large and with so many differences I do not think I can never know so I will be satisfied with seeing your photos and take a virtual tour of all those places have you liked him so much, I hope you now rest in his home and his bed though things you´ve already seen the family was able to visit would never forget. Bubby hope your Oliva this good and have no more problems, we care so much when our children are sick. I wish all forum a nice day

seaturtle
September 20th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Wow, Monique, that sounds fabulous (all except the hairpin curves going downhill!). I'm glad you had such a great trip and made it home safely. We're anxious to see the photos. I've never been to Canada. Missed your posts here on the forum.

Bubby, so glad to hear that little Olive may be home today. Try to catch Dottie's response on film for us. I'll bet she be thrilled to see her.

Need to try to wrap up my packing for the retreat. Very excited - we leave Thursday morning so we can catch some of the birthday bash. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Have a great day, everyone.

WendyI
September 20th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Monique! Welcome back!! Sounds like you had an absolutely amazing trip...scary hills aside. Can't wait to see all the pics!

Barb, so glad to hear Olive will get to come home! Dottie will be so excited!

Nothing new here today. I was so tired after work yesterday from the insomnia the night before so nothing got accomplished. Tonight I will be doing groceries (UHG) and hopefully shampooing carpets on the main floor. If not, will do them tomorrow. Work is really dull right now...not much going on and I hate that...much prefer to be busy!

Sending love and hugs to those who need them! xoxox

peggiep
September 20th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Welcome home Monique! We missed you! We did the same trip a few years ago and it was MAGNIFICENT!

Barb, welcome home to Olive and hope she stays well.

Wendy, I know how you feel about not being busy at work. It seems the day will never end.

Off to lunch with the bowling team and then bowling this aft. Have to finish my last Secret Santa gift today when I get home.

Hugs to all

MayinJerset
September 20th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Welcome Home Monique, You and your DH have had a wonderful vacation except for that mountain road. Phew, your description made me remember the time DH and I rode down a road like that, felt like we wanted to kiss the ground when we were off it.

Miss Olive is very missed at home and I hope she gets well and back home ASAP.

What started as a cloudy day with some rain has changed in a bright sunshiny one, woke up feeling bad and hope the sunshine perks me up. Taking 2 Advil in case the sunshine doesn't work.

So many gals getting ready for the M* retreat - there is going to be a great time in Hamilton beginning this week.

JCY
September 20th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Narrow road & hair pinned curves & deep cliffs -- the scariest road we ever traveled was "Going to the Sun" road through Glacier National Park years ago. DH said never again! Meeting those travel trailers, etc. on such a narrow road was very scary. Beautiful, but very scary. Glad you're safely home, Monique & had a wonderful trip. Barb hope Olive gets to come home & will be ok.

I spent most of yest. doing laundry. It was hot (97 deg.) & breezy outside to finish drying things after they were fluffed in the dryer. The guest bed is re-made. Hopefully the last of the fragrance will dissipate soon. Today I need to finish my BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) lesson for tomorrow. The new study began last Wed.

Time to eat breakfast.

Lyndaj
September 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Good morning everyone and welcome home Monique.

Sounds like you had a stellar trip. I'm kind of surprised to hear that you didn't know about the Terry Fox statue in Thunder Bay where he had to end his Marathon of Hope. I thought everybody in Canada knew about that...guess not.

I'm still contemplating what to sew next. I have some UFOs and other things that are kitted and ready to go. Have decided that I really need to figure out where the scant 1/4" seam is on both my Janome and my vintage Bernina. I'm so sick of blocks not turning out the correct size. Once I get that straight, I will have to figure out what's next.

I'm back to physio tomorrow with somebody new. I have tendonitis and a small tear in my patellar tendon (which runs over your knee). Hoping this goes well as I'm very sick of not being able to run.

Have a great day peeps.

Monique
September 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Good morning everyone and welcome home Monique.

Sounds like you had a stellar trip. I'm kind of surprised to hear that you didn't know about the Terry Fox statue in Thunder Bay where he had to end his Marathon of Hope. I thought everybody in Canada knew about that...guess not.

I'm still contemplating what to sew next. I have some UFOs and other things that are kitted and ready to go. Have decided that I really need to figure out where the scant 1/4" seam is on both my Janome and my vintage Bernina. I'm so sick of blocks not turning out the correct size. Once I get that straight, I will have to figure out what's next.

I'm back to physio tomorrow with somebody new. I have tendonitis and a small tear in my patellar tendon (which runs over your knee). Hoping this goes well as I'm very sick of not being able to run.

Have a great day peeps.

No I knew nothing so it was such a wonderful surprise to see it. Gives you goose bumps.

Monique
September 20th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Narrow road & hair pinned curves & deep cliffs -- the scariest road we ever traveled was "Going to the Sun" road through Glacier National Park years ago. DH said never again! Meeting those travel trailers, etc. on such a narrow road was very scary. Beautiful, but very scary. Glad you're safely home, Monique & had a wonderful trip. Barb hope Olive gets to come home & will be ok.

I spent most of yest. doing laundry. It was hot (97 deg.) & breezy outside to finish drying things after they were fluffed in the dryer. The guest bed is re-made. Hopefully the last of the fragrance will dissipate soon. Today I need to finish my BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) lesson for tomorrow. The new study began last Wed.

Time to eat breakfast.

We took the Sea-to-Sky Highway Route 99 but continued this route to the end. We should have veered off at Pemberton but the tourist girl never told us what the the highway was like unfortunately or we would not have gone this way. OH WELL, we may it safely at least.

sewluvit
September 20th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Monique, sounds like you and your hubby had a wonderful adventure! We love road trips too and I was terrified on the Beartooth pass and the Logan pass both in Montana. Poor hubby had to drive while I freaked out beside him. Those trips sure make for some awesome memories!

RockinLou
September 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I'm glad you had a great adventure!!! It's late here and Tuesday has about done me in... off to dreamland for me...

bubba
September 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
There is nothing like a good road trip! We used to camp in Canada (BC) a lot. It was much cheaper than camping down here, plus you got free firewood and free hot showers!!

I agree, Vancouver Island is beautiful!! Love the ferry ride to get there. The last time went, a huge school of porpoise swam next to the ferry for miles.

Dollyquilts
September 20th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Monique, it sounds like a grand adventure. Glad you and Les are home safe and sound.

Barb, I know you'll be happy to get Olive home. I can just envision the joyful reunion between Olive and Dottie.