PDA

View Full Version : for those who live in the area of M*......

bubba
September 19th, 2016, 05:11 PM
This time of year, is it still capri and sandal weather? Sleeveless....tshirts?

Oh, and who is going to take me in search of lightening bugs?

RiverMomm
September 19th, 2016, 05:20 PM
I lived in St Louis for many years. This time of the year is still very much capri and sandal weather. Yep to summer shirts too.

Simply Quilting
September 19th, 2016, 05:25 PM
It is still summer weather here. Currently, it is 92 degrees with the heat index making it 102. The evenings and morning are getting on the cooler side so you might consider bringing along a jacket and a pair of jeans just in case you get chilly. During the retreat the weather is suppose to be a little cooler.

bubba
September 19th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Oh!!! Most important thing to know....is there free Wi-Fi there??

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2016, 06:57 PM
At the retreat center, yes, free wifi.

Sandy Navas
September 19th, 2016, 08:09 PM
And I volunteer to take you searching for lightening bugs (aka fireflies). Bring chigger spray!

bubba
September 19th, 2016, 10:21 PM
And I volunteer to take you searching for lightening bugs (aka fireflies). Bring chigger spray!

I don't even know what a chigger is!!!

Monique
September 19th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I don't even know what a chigger is!!!

EWWWW I looked them up. BRING LOTS OF SPRAY.

bubba
September 19th, 2016, 10:42 PM
EWWWW I looked them up. BRING LOTS OF SPRAY.

I can't use bug spray because of allergies!!!!! Are they like mosquitos?

SuzyQue
September 19th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Itch a lot worse than mosquitoes! Generally only on ankles. Stay out of grassy areas and you should be fine.

K. McEuen
September 19th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Chiggers are little no-seeums that like to bite where ever they are stopped on your body. Elastic stops them, so along the lines of undies and bras are a favorite biting spot too.

bubba
September 19th, 2016, 11:34 PM
:hoping you can see fireflies from a car with closed windows!:

mischiefkat
September 19th, 2016, 11:55 PM
Chiggers.......what was the name of that stuff in the little bottle that you used to put on after you got ate up with chiggers? It was like clear nail polish but not nail polish. Kathy

JCY
September 20th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Lightning bugs are harmless. When I was growing up in MI, I used to catch them & put them in a jar & watch their little lights blink. It's fun to see all those little twinkles at night. I don't remember chiggers, but we sure had mosquitos & the no-seeums.

K. McEuen
September 20th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Chiggers.......what was the name of that stuff in the little bottle that you used to put on after you got ate up with chiggers? It was like clear nail polish but not nail polish. Kathy

Chigger-rid or something like that

GaGa
September 20th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Chiggers are hideous creatures that cause intense itching. They burrow under the skin usually where you have tight clothing - elastic underwear bands, waist bands, tight sock tops, etc. They are worse in spring and early summer and I don't think you'd find too many (if any) lightening bugs now. They are usually out from mid-May through July. At least that's how it is here which a little north and east of Hamilton. You might be better to catch up on your sleep😀!

amartin24
September 20th, 2016, 10:41 AM
We have fireflies or lightning bugs in NJ. You don't have them in Washington? I just assumed everyone saw them in the summer.

Bubby
September 20th, 2016, 11:47 AM
You can hunt for lightning bugs but they are gone for this year. June/July is their time. There will be plenty of other things to find.

SuzyQue
September 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Good news, bad news.......hubby says chiggers don't go much past 36 highway......where Hamilton is located. Bad news.....you are too late for lightening bugs this year.

kensington
September 20th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I live in the country and I have no chiggers. LOL We do pull a frog out of the pool almost every day.

SuzyQue
September 20th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Sorry to say our local news reported on oak tree mites tonight. They said they itch worse than chiggers or mosquitoes. Don't scratch is all they advised! Great!

sherriequilts
September 21st, 2016, 01:02 AM
Hi Bubba,
This week we've had a real hot spell, heat index near 100. However the weather folks are predicting rain and a cool front to move in Sunday. Highs 70/72 with lows 55/59.. rain Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If you google Channel 41 news you'll be able to see their weather predictions as the week goes on. They are based out of Kansas City, Missouri but it's close enough to give you a reasonable forecast for Hamilton.
Sherrie

LauraP
September 21st, 2016, 06:58 AM
to all those worrying about the bugs, don't! Unless you do something really stupid like take a hike out through the cow pasture you shouldn't have any problems.

toggpine
September 23rd, 2016, 02:31 AM
The cow pasture is where all of the best stuff happens! Bonfires, beer, hotdogs, s'mores, cow tipping, and snipe hunts.

LauraP
September 23rd, 2016, 03:56 AM
and fishing and bug hunting and flower collecting. But if you don't like bugs (or cows), it's probably best to stay out of the pasture.

MRoy
September 23rd, 2016, 08:16 AM
Sandy, maybe you could take her snipe hunting too. :)