PDA

View Full Version : Which childhood songs?

LauraP
September 18th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I was thinking about songs that made me remember my childhood. For me it would be Yakety Yak, don't talk back; Little Blue Man and Purple People Eater. I was thinking of making a memory quilt for my sister using songs. What would you put in yours?

bakermom
September 18th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Purple people eater for sure! probably the first one I really remember. I was the youngest but I can remember watching American Bandstand with my brother and sister. Wish I could think of more songs from those days

LauraP
September 18th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I'm Henry the Eighth by Herman's Hermits. Used to sing it going down Hwy 1 in San Diego sitting in the back of a pick-up singing at the top of our lungs. Couldn't ride that way now!

Hulamoon
September 18th, 2016, 09:21 PM
If your talking real young it would be 'She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain'.

cv quilter
September 18th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm thinking about "Scotch and Soda" by S and G. I still absolutely love that song! Get all melancholy. Also love "The Wonderful World of the Young" by Andy Williams. I was 17 as I recall, and loved that song so much I wrote all the words down and still have them in my wallet.....I think I'm telling my age.

shirleyknot
September 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Mares eat Oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy......My grandmother used to play it on the piano when I was little, and I still remember all the words.

CraftySweetPeas
September 18th, 2016, 10:06 PM
"The Streak", "Stayin' Alive", "Play That Funky Music", "I Will Survive", "My Sharona" come to mind right away...THAT would be one funky quilt, huh?!

Hulamoon
September 18th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Mares eat Oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy......My grandmother used to play it on the piano when I was little, and I still remember all the words.
My mom used to sing that to me and I forgot about it! That's a good memory. :)

seaturtle
September 18th, 2016, 10:52 PM
My dad bought me a 45 of "those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, the days of soda and pretzels and beer" when I was about 5. I played it non-stop on my new record player. It was a little red box with a white lid, I think. Drove my mom crazy.

bkthomas
September 18th, 2016, 10:54 PM
This is odd, but I always remember learning to sing
"Go Tell Aunt Rhody" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vxDJKjoBI

But if I were to use a song in a quilt (and I will do this) it would be "I Hope You Dance"
for my DD - I have a special quilt in mind for her.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw

snippet
September 18th, 2016, 11:04 PM
The songs that go through my head when I think of my childhood are
Sound of Silence
I Got You Babe
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
ABC 123
Joy to the World
If I Had a Hammer
most any Johnny Cash song (Ring of Fire, Walk the Line, A Boy Named Sue),
King of the Road,
Yellow Rose of Texas,
a bunch of cowboy songs (Get Along Little Dogies, Home on the Range, San Antonio Rose, Tumbling Tumbleweeds)
and any Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass songs (The Lonely Bull, Love Potion #9, A Taste of Honey, Spanish Flea) because my dad LOVED them and he played their records all the time when we lived in Turkey

jjkaiser
September 18th, 2016, 11:16 PM

What?? Are you kidding? All these years I thought the words were Mairzy dotes and dozey dotes--which I always thought were nonsense words but wouldn't be the first song to have words that didn't make sense!

TMP
September 19th, 2016, 05:45 AM
What?? Are you kidding? All these years I thought the words were Mairzy dotes and dozey dotes--which I always thought were nonsense words but wouldn't be the first song to have words that didn't make sense!

I am with you jjkaiser , I thought the same thing.
This isn't really related but my gd thought Santa was going to bring her "a cold" if she was bad not "coal".

shirleyknot
September 19th, 2016, 08:55 AM

If you listen to the whole song, it tells you......

peggiep
September 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was the first one that popped into my head...then others just rolled in....Leader of the Pack, They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ahab the Arab, Wooly Bully, Town Without Pity, Sounds of Silence....make them stop....brain overload and ear worms for the next week! :icon_bigsmile:

Carlie Wolf
September 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
The first music I remember listening to and really loving was Swan Lake. I was around 4 or 5 in the early 50's and I'd dance to it. I was a ballerina in my mind, I'd spin around and around, doing my little leaps and hand/arm movements :-) I remember realizing at one point my parents were laughing and mocking me and me being devastated. Then in my mind I thought..no, it's ok, don't pay attention to them, THEY don't realize I AM the music. Sad but true but oh my what a creative mind for such a young child.

shirleyknot
September 19th, 2016, 10:49 AM
The first music I remember listening to and really loving was Swan Lake. I was around 4 or 5 in the early 50's and I'd dance to it. I was a ballerina in my mind, I'd spin around and around, doing my little leaps and hand/arm movements :-) I remember realizing at one point my parents were laughing and mocking me and me being devastated. Then in my mind I thought..no, it's ok, don't pay attention to them, THEY don't realize I AM the music. Sad but true but oh my what a creative mind for such a young child.

Well , shame on them! A parent should never stifle creativity, especially not with ridicule.

Carolnnc
September 19th, 2016, 01:17 PM
A song no one seems to know called Green Door. My uncle had the 45 which he gave to me when I was around seven. The youngest memories were LPs by Floyd Cramer and Elvis that we kids played all the time.

JCY
September 19th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Further back to my childhood, listening to Big John & Sparky on the radio, "If you go down in the woods today..." -- (The Teddy Bears Picnic song.) During my teen years, I loved the Everly Brothers' songs.

Hulamoon
September 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
When I was in junior high a boy that liked me took my year book and wrote all the lyrics to Cherish on the back inside cover. That will be a song I never forget!

shirleyknot
September 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
A song no one seems to know called Green Door. My uncle had the 45 which he gave to me when I was around seven. The youngest memories were LPs by Floyd Cramer and Elvis that we kids played all the time.

I remember Green Door.......

Cool Breeze Quilter
September 19th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Snippet I remember singing Joy to the World with friends as a kid. And remember listening to King of the Road with my father as a kid and to this day that song always makes me think of him. Then there is You Are My Sunshine. I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing, Let Their be Peace on Earth (sang that in the school choir as a kid).

Angelia
September 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Sixteen Tons--I heard it on the radio the other day!

Navy Wife
September 19th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Goodness, I must be old! Sixteen Tons was the song my first year in College! We sang it all the time. I remember the songs of WWII, like Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition and Paper Doll. My children remember most of the ones y'all remember! What a fun topic!

Carlie Wolf
September 19th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Oh my goodness. I remember 16 tons too. I can remember singing it and I still remember the lyrics of the first stanza. I remember my parents playing the record. I remember Paper Dolls playing in the background but for some reason I hated that song LOL