PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls - what is a normal sleep cycle?

Judy, USMC
September 17th, 2016, 12:49 AM
Hooting to all the night owls. So getting ready to switch to a more daylight centric lifestyle for the next 2 weeks.

So how easy is it for you to switch from being a night owl to an early bird? And how long can you keep the early bird schedule going ? Looks like I will have a 2 week stretch of being up and gone by 8:30am. That is going to be difficult for me.

Snip Snip
September 17th, 2016, 01:03 AM
You just have to power through those first few days without taking a nap or going off schedule. If you are accustomed to being up very late, you might start taking a small dose of melatonin about 1.5 hours before bedtime. It is supposed to sync your sleep cycle with the natural day/night rhythm.

K. McEuen
September 17th, 2016, 01:04 AM
I probably sleep the best from about 2 am until 9 am no matter how early I try going to bed. I can get up earlier if I have to, but I do miss my sleep after a few days of that.

kimsophia
September 17th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Hoot hoot! I have good luck with taking a 25 mg. Unisom tablet and half a 50 mg. Trazodone washed down with a swig of Cayman Jack. That can knock me out for 12 hours. So I would do that 12 hours prior to needing to be awake early. But my doctor doesn't like me mixing trazodone and booze, even just one swig to wash down the pills, so I'm not recommending it. I would just do that for emergency situations such as resetting my clock for a one-time early appointment. I've never tried to keep it going for two weeks, sorry... :(

I did more single-thread stitching on the Trick or Treat sampler on the scary house part at the top. I have most of the house and the hill done. I still will need to do the moon and trees, though. I kept myself for ordering a Christmas sampler today from this designer until I'm done with all my other sewing projects, including quilting.

I also got some cheap new towels that I'm machine embroidering a little bit to fancy them up for new kitchen towels. Nothing major, just trying out some of the pretty decorative stitches on my machine as cuffs. That machine can do what would be several evenings of hand stitching in about two minutes. :/ But I do enjoy the process of hand sewing.

Hope everybody is feeling well!

RockinLou
September 17th, 2016, 01:52 AM
When we travel it's a 10 or 11 hour time change, it takes me about 7 days to feel human again and a full 2 weeks to kick the jet lag completely.... that's pretty much the same thing. I do it without medications, but I've been known to give my kids a Benadryl to help them sleep through the 4 am wake up that seems impossible to escape. I hear the best approach is to begin adjusting about a week before, 1/2 an hour to an hour adjustment per day.... but I don't have the time for that!!

All I'm hoping to sew today is cloth napkins, but the kids are wanting to do 300 other things, so we'll see....

stationarymom
September 17th, 2016, 01:54 AM
I've never been an early bird by choice ,but when I have to I can and do get up. If i'm busy it's easy to stay up and go to bed at an early hour.If you still have time you might try going to bed an hour earlier each night to try to switch your sleep schedule to earlier hours.I usually sleep from 3am to 8:30 but do get tired during the day after a couple of days.Good luck with the change.
Kim did you finish your Xmas sampler yet? You have really gotten into xstitching for now.I hand stitched my first two quilts and quilted them by hand ,it was a slow process but I really like hand stitching also.

MayinJerset
September 17th, 2016, 05:43 AM
If I fall asleep after 10:30 I usually can sleep til 7, falling asleep earlier usually has me wide awake around 3 or so and I end up hanging in my night owl tree.

Disappointed our town's parade isn't going to pass our house this morning around 9:30, it's turning on my street's other corner.
DH is awake so I told him we should get dressed and get a good spot along the parade's route before everyone gets there. Gee, he said since it's only 5am he doesn't think that's a good idea , what a party pooper.

TMP
September 17th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I have had company for the last week. They don't sleep at all. When they left dh and I both went to bed.

For the last couple of years I have been going thru this thing of wanting to sleep all the time only getting up for the bathroom. I have to force myself to stay up and I am exhausted all the time. So the times that I am awake are really strange . Like now. It was suggested to me that I have a thyroid test done that has to do with a autoimmune disorders. Have any of you had this done?

kimsophia
September 17th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I've had a thyroid hormone level test done just as part of a blood panel at my physical...I don't know about the autoimmune disorder part. I would recommend you get checked out by a doctor...constant exhaustion isn't normal...

kimsophia
September 17th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Kim did you finish your Xmas sampler yet? You have really gotten into xstitching for now.I hand stitched my first two quilts and quilted them by hand ,it was a slow process but I really like hand stitching also.

Nope. I bought a frame for it and then I thought maybe it would look better with another row of Santas, so I'm debating whether to take on the additional work.

Midge
September 17th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I have had company for the last week. They don't sleep at all. When they left dh and I both went to bed.

For the last couple of years I have been going thru this thing of wanting to sleep all the time only getting up for the bathroom. I have to force myself to stay up and I am exhausted all the time. So the times that I am awake are really strange . Like now. It was suggested to me that I have a thyroid test done that has to do with a autoimmune disorders. Have any of you had this done?

As a retired nurse practitioner, I can tell you that your exhaustion should definitely be evaluated. Sooner rather than later. There are many causes underlying extreme fatigue, but a thyroid study is part of a first round of tests. As we get older it's more likely that things go awry. You need a physical exam along with lab work. Your provider will physically examine your thyroid as part of the exam to feel for enlargement and/or nodules. That doesn't hurt, and is step one. Good luck, and let us know what happens. I've had all this done as well as radiologic testing of the thyroid because I had radiation as a kid. I've had lifelong monitoring.

jjkaiser
September 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Hooting to all the night owls. So getting ready to switch to a more daylight centric lifestyle for the next 2 weeks.

So how easy is it for you to switch from being a night owl to an early bird? And how long can you keep the early bird schedule going ? Looks like I will have a 2 week stretch of being up and gone by 8:30am. That is going to be difficult for me.

Well I am in your boat now .com about to find out on Monday. After working second shift for 18 years I find myself suddenly to be at work on the JOB at 6 am which means getting up at 4:30. The only two times I ever got up that early was once to catch a plane and the other time when my dd was in labor. Good think I drink coffee...

bakermom
September 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
You probably don't want to hear this..............I worked graveyard for over 20 years. Now retired I still have trouble adapting to a normal sleep pattern. Now if I have to be up and active I can do it, but I find myself struggling to stay awake at times.