PDA

View Full Version : East Indian cooking recipe ?

Hulamoon
September 17th, 2016, 12:30 AM
I want to make a vegetarian Tikka Marsala dish. I found several I like, but I'm confused with one part in some. A few call for garam masala which contains all the main spices. But then it calls for all the spices that are in it.

Why use it then? Anyone make this before?

Sylvia H
September 17th, 2016, 12:48 AM
LOL! I have come across this in a few Italian recipes too. They call for Italian seasoning, then go on to add more marjoram, thyme, whatever. My "guess" is that the additional separate seasonings are to further bring out those flavors. In the mixture, you might be getting the same amount of each seasoning, whereas, in the recipe some seasonings should be more prominent. Hope I make sense.

BTW - the last time I needed Italian seasoning, I didn't have any, so I just improvized with what I had. In your situation, if you don't have the garam masala, then I'd just use what I had. Vice versa, if the garam masala is all that you have, and you don't want to buy more seasonings, then go with that and see if you like it. Not the most gourmet approach, I know - but a $$$ practical one.

Hulamoon
September 17th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Sylvia that is a perfect comparison! I run across those too, but usually ignore it. Never making indian food before I don't want to go over board on buying a lot of stuff. There is a spice shop about an hour away by my dd's house. I'm going to ask her to get some for me, otherwise I'm just going to leave it out.

Thanks!