PDA

View Full Version : AWOL Again

csarina
September 15th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I have not been doing any sewing recently. DB was in hospital for 5 weeks. He came home 3 weeks ago and I have had the cap and apron on again. He has been walking with two elbow crutches, but is now only using one outside, he is walking normally in the house.

I was hoping to get the wet room done before he came out, however it was the Wednesday after the August bank holiday before they started. If has been finished just over a week. There is a seat for DB so he does not have to stand. It has been very warm here over the last few weeks, it's great to press a button and have cool water slosh over you.

We are now waiting for the storage radiators to be taken out and gas central heating put in, just like n time for the winter.

I am ok, get very tired and cannot walk fast, but plodding along. It's over 12 months since I got my pacemaker, on 6 monthly checks and after the next one should be on once a year.

I am out of touch with what's been going on, had better read some posts and catch up

Claire Hallman
September 15th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Glad you are back. Don't know what a wet room is, could you clue us here in the US what that is.
Glad your DB is improving [you too] and the heat is being updated, you should enjoy the gas heat this winter.

songbird857
September 15th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Good to hear from you Csarina :) Is a wet room like a big shower??

Jean Sewing Machine
September 15th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Hope you and your DH can get back to normal, so you can get back to sewing and quilting!

jjkaiser
September 15th, 2016, 09:39 PM
It sounds like there is sure a lot going on in your life but everything is almost complete. That's great & it means getting back to normal soon. I also do not know what a wet room is. A bathroom? A place to leave your overcoat and boots, like a mudroom here in the U.S.?

GuitarGramma
September 15th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hi csarina,

I'm so sorry to hear of the health woes you have been facing. It's good to see you back, and I hope we'll be seeing lots of you here on the forum.

And please do tell all of us Americans just what a wet room is!

Judy, USMC
September 15th, 2016, 10:17 PM
csarina - It's nice to hear that you are doing well and your DB is getting better. Sounds like you are making substantial upgrades to your house, too.

I googled the wet room and found it interesting. The main way in which wet rooms differ to ‘traditional’ bathrooms is that rather than having a built-in, enclosed shower cubicle, they room itself effectively acts as the enclosure. This means that wet rooms have to be fully waterproofed to prevent leaks. Interesting because I had a wet room when I lived in town when stationed on Okinawa in 1976. There was no tub and the entire floor of the bathroom sloped to the center of the room where the drain was located.

Very please to see you back on the forum! Please continue to keep us updated.

csarina
September 16th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Yes folks Judy is right. We had the midget bath taken out, the floor was then altered so it sloped towards the back wall of the bathroom, special flooring was put down which goes 6 inches up all the walls, the three walls were tiled,there is a drain in the middle of the actual shower area, so the water drains away. It's brilliant, no more having to climb into the bath, kneel down and slosh water around. That's what we had been doing since we moved in 15 months ago. I managed to get things brought forward because if OH's condition. It has all been done by the council, we live in what they call 'supported' housing. Our rent will go up a bit, but I am not complaining. We have storage heaters at the moment, these are to be replaced by gas central heating in the near future, we are waiting for the council to give the installers the go ahead.

KarenC
September 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Welcome back. Glad to hear health woes are improving.