PDA

View Full Version : A handyman and a beauty queen

HandsomeRyan
September 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Let me start by saying, I know it is 2016 and long gone are the "traditional gender roles" where girls are just nice to look at and guys do stuff with tools. Since I'm a (relatively) young guy who participates on a quilting forum I hope I get a pass as obviously I think people should participate in whatever activities make them happy without regard for gender.

With that disclaimer out of the way- over the weekend I built my son a child-sized workbench so he can play with tools like daddy does. I remembered that I had inherited a small bench vice from my grandfather which I never had use for (I own several other vices). I dug through some boxes in the garage and found it and the scale of it is perfect for my son's new workbench. He may not appreciate it yet but I think it is cool that he can play with his great-grandfather's vice. Who wouldn't want a handsome handyman like this to come fix their stuff?!

Here is a better pic of the entire workbench. It is nicer than my actual workbench in the garage.

Now we didn't spend all weekend building stuff. My sweet little Baby Daisy competed in the state fair beauty pageant. She won best smile, best personality, and 1st Alternate Queen (aka: second place). I don't think we will probably do more pageants but it was fun to try it once and all of the little girls genuinely appeared to be having a good time getting dressed up in the puffy gowns.

songbird857
September 13th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Ryan,
They are both so adorable! Thanks for sharing pics of your kiddos :)

Mom23
September 13th, 2016, 09:26 AM
What a wonderful start to my day!!! They are just too darn cute.

Sandy Navas
September 13th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Don't forget, Ryan - come back and show us the pictures of beautiful Daisy chasing Connor away so she can use the work bench!!

Thanks for sharing!

seaturtle
September 13th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Your children are adorable! Congrats on the workbench and 1st Alternate award. Great memories!

WendyI
September 13th, 2016, 10:03 AM
So nice to hear from you Ryan! Wow! CanNOT believe how big Wiggles is now! Both of them in fact! They just grow far to quickly! Awesome job on the workbench! He's gonna get a lot of mileage out of that and great grandads vice is a fantastic touch! Kids really do make our life so much more complete.

Lori63
September 13th, 2016, 10:28 AM
What cuties! You did an amazing job on the workbench! Is there anything you can't do???

MayinJerset
September 13th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Does your handyman make out of state house calls? We sure could use his help.

Won't be surprised when Miss Daisy begins using those tools and work bench, I spent many happy hours banging away on my grandfather's work bench.

Monique
September 13th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Grandma G
September 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Your children are gorgeous! As for gender toys - I'm guessing that at some point your little princess will push Wiggles out of the way at the work bench. I have a ridiculous amount of toys at my house for my three grandchildren. My two granddaughters gravitate to my grandson's toys all the time. They are fascinated by the noises that the Bat Cave makes as well as all the hero figures. Maybe because at their house it's all princesses and doll houses. Either way, they enjoy all the toys.

BTW - you did a great job on the workbench!!

grammaterry
September 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Yip! I think it is really cool he has grandpas work bench and baby Daisy is a sweetie. I think one pageant win in a little girls life is plenty.

Let me start by saying, I know it is 2016 and long gone are the "traditional gender roles" where girls are just nice to look at and guys do stuff with tools. Since I'm a (relatively) young guy who participates on a quilting forum I hope I get a pass as obviously I think people should participate in whatever activities make them happy without regard for gender.

With that disclaimer out of the way- over the weekend I built my son a child-sized workbench so he can play with tools like daddy does. I remembered that I had inherited a small bench vice from my grandfather which I never had use for (I own several other vices). I dug through some boxes in the garage and found it and the scale of it is perfect for my son's new workbench. He may not appreciate it yet but I think it is cool that he can play with his great-grandfather's vice. Who wouldn't want a handsome handyman like this to come fix their stuff?!

Here is a better pic of the entire workbench. It is nicer than my actual workbench in the garage.

Now we didn't spend all weekend building stuff. My sweet little Baby Daisy competed in the state fair beauty pageant. She won best smile, best personality, and 1st Alternate Queen (aka: second place). I don't think we will probably do more pageants but it was fun to try it once and all of the little girls genuinely appeared to be having a good time getting dressed up in the puffy gowns.

amartin24
September 13th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the update Dad! Your kids are beautiful!

GaGa
September 13th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Your kiddos are absolutely adorable!!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Your children are so handsome and beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with all these adopted aunties and Grammies, and an occasional uncle and grandpa too!

Kgrammiecaz
September 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I love your updates and pics. They are growing so fast it seems. Cant wait for that pic of them using the sewing machine.

Hulamoon
September 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Such cute kids! Love your bench too! Have you ever seen the kids kitchens from old entertainment furniture. Looks like a fun project.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=kids%20kitchens%20from%20entertainment%20centers&etslf=26603&eq=kids%20kitchens%20&term_meta[]=kids%7Cautocomplete%7C1&term_meta[]=kitchens%7Cautocomplete%7C1&term_meta[]=from%7Cautocomplete%7C1&term_meta[]=entertainment%7Cautocomplete%7C1&term_meta[]=centers%7Cautocomplete%7C1

Cokie
September 13th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for sharing the pix of your kids - they are both adorable. Made my day to see those sweet faces. I think they're lucky to have such a great dad!

Ginny B
September 13th, 2016, 09:49 PM
They are some cuties that's for sure. Thanks for sharing.

KarenC
September 13th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Nice family and workbench. Thanks for sharing.

JCY
September 13th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Wow, how those kids have grown. So handsome & beautiful. Congrats. all the way around. Thanks for sharing them with us.

SallyO'Sews
September 13th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Great to hear from you, Ryan! Your children are beautiful - and that bench is wonderful!

snippet
September 14th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Great work Ryan. I think it's awesome that your son has a piece of ggrandfather's work. I'm sure Miss Daisy might be taking it over for a tea party with brother or maybe they can use it for Playdoh fun.

Congrats to you for making a great bench and congrats to Daisy for her well deserved winnings.

sherriequilts
September 14th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Oh Ryan .. I don't think you need to explain anything .. Your children are beautiful and you seem to be a person who is very comfortable in their own skin. Your kids will absolutely pick up on that from you and choose their own toys.. Perfect:) I think it's awesome you have something to pass on to your kids from their great grandfather. Your son is now old enough to enjoy playing with it and soon your daughter will too .. :)
Sherrie