• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carolnnc
    The Guild President
    • Oct 2015

Random Thought on meet ups

Have you physically met a person/people from the forum? If more than one person then how many people? How did you decide you wanted to meet someone? Have you invited someone to your home? Have you declined a meet up and why? Do you have a meet up on a regular basis with one or more people? Have you met someone who's become a really good friend that you travel to see?
    :icon_happy:

sigpic
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Random Thought on meet ups

When I first joined the forum I met up with a member. We joined up at a restaurant with her friends. It was a taco beer night. It was fun but sort of awkward. She isn't here anymore that I know of and we never spoke again.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MayinJerset
      Missouri Star
      • May 2012

Only M* forum member I've met in person is quiltingtrish - we met quite a few years ago when a group of quilters from Alex Anderson's forum began meeting at the Lancaster show every year. She and I have also been to Howdy's annual Hoedowns mostly just for the challenge display and dinner with the other gals and guys. A few of the others have become close friends and although we live in different states we keep in touch.

I used to be leery of meeting others for the first time so meeting at a quilt show or shop or place to eat was a good experience.

Funny story how I met my best quilting buddy. She had posted on the Alex Anderson forum that it was her BDay and they were having a cake and every one was invited. I replied since we both lived in Jersey I'd be right over and asked what town did she live in. Well to my surprise she lived 10 minutes away from me! I didn't go to have cake but when I became involved through that forum in making and distributing quilts for the families of 9/11 victims she came over and helped me with them. We began going to Lancaster together to meet with the others and even socialized in our homes and so began a nice friendship.
      Last edited by MayinJerset; September 11, 2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• pcbatiks
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

I have met two forum friends so far. The first was Trish (aliaslaceygreen) at the Houston Quilt show a few years ago. We called each other from the show and met. We talked for a while took a picture together and then she showed us some of her photography that was displayed at the quilt show. It was fun meeting her.

The 2nd person I'v met was Beth (MBCA). She was in town for a Row By Row Shop Hop. We decided to meet at the shop and talked while we looked at fabric. Then we went to a sandwich shop close by and visited and laughed for a good while. Had a great time.

I hope to meet more forum friends someday. I've made some good friends here on the forum and it would be fun to meet them too.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Navy Wife
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2013

I haven't met anyone from this forum, but have several friends from other forums. We usually meet at a shop and then go to lunch. Some of the groups have retreats, and I have been to quite a few of those. The most active group as far as get togethers is the former HGTV forum. They have a retreat every year in a different part of the country. I have been to Charlotte,NC, Branson, Clearwater, FL. They have also met in New Hampshire, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and next year in Seattle. From that, a smaller group of us meet for a 4 day sew-in in Alabama once or twice a year. I have met quilters from Quilting Haven also. We have met at shows and had lunch.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
            Missouri Star
            • May 2013

I've met quite a few by going to the forum gathering in 2014 & 2015. Although I will miss seeing some that won't make it this year I will be happy to meet some others who will be there this year. I've gotten closest to the gals who I've socialized with while staying at the hotel, though. Conversations were light and we've gotten to know one another by talking and laughing about things other than fabric & quilting. My husband Steve takes me every year as my birthday present and keeps us entertained with is unique sense of humor.

Sharyn and I met for brunch one day in a Chicago 'burb - I live in Chicago part time. She presented me with the most beautiful purse! Hope to get up with her again this next trip too.

If the routing works out I hope to take a little side trip to meet GrammaTerry on the way to the retreat.
            Last edited by Judy, USMC; September 11, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

I've met so many, and it is such fun to meet in person! Some live near me, as Auntiemern ( Marilyn Enlow) and Mom23(Robin Westendorf), some near Hamilton, ( too many to mention!), some at the forum retreats, and some as I traveled abroad and to other states. I mentioned last summer that I was going to be in a Paris for a few days, who would want to share a croissant under the Eiffel Tower with me, and Andrea said she would like to do that! Sure enough, we spent a delightful afternoon and evening with Andrea and her husband Thomas in Paris, and now they will be coming to Hamilton and St. Louis in a little over a week! I'm so excited! And there are my Canadian besties, Nan and Vicki! And my sweet dear friend Klasien from the Netherlands, who will be visiting me next spring for the third time as guest in my home! I could go on and on, I met Turina Williams in Portland, Kathy Crowfoot came to STL a couple of years ago to meet Marilyn and I, and we were so privileged to have two of our Aussie friends at the forum retreat last year, Nidan07 (Lenore) And Sue Porteus! I hope I didn't leave out anyone, you are all so special to me! It is wonderful to put a name and a face together!

Oh, how can I forget the crazy times at Paducah with Rhonda Free! She is a blast to be with! And we met up with Jim's Queenie one year! And Ruby ( Hands Off Its Mine) when I went to Atlanta. I need to work out a time in upper NY to get to meet Monique when I go to see Vicky and Nan. We're going to have our own quilt retreat up there!

So, I say, reach out to your forum members for face to face meetings, you will form friendships that stretch across the miles and sometimes the oceans! You all are my BFFs for sure!

Comment

• toggpine
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2009

I tried a meet up, but for whatever reason we missed.

Pat (Bubba) and I should probably have bumped into each other by now. We live close enough that our paths cross , but we never seem to be in the same place at the same time!
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Cathy F
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

I met Klasien and her family. She was my secret Santa in one of Christmas exchanges. She came to the states the following year for vacation with her family and they came out to our house and we spent the day with them. So very nice to meet a forum member!

I'm hoping to meet Bubby in the coming year. Hopefully we will be making a road trip to M*, and I definitely want to meet her. We keep in touch on a regular basis.
                  Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• snippet
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2012

Other than meeting at the forum retreat, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting anyone. And there are plenty of forum people in my area too.

But I have made some long lasting friend on another forum - a forum devoted to those with long hair of all things! We have met in San Antonio, Austin and have made several trips to Dallas at a hair salon. It's been great fun being with these ladies.

I've made three friends from another forum I was on a while back. I visited with one gal when she lived in Maryland, and when she moved to Nevada, and have lunch with her now that we are both living in San Antonio. A fellow from Australia went to England on holiday and passed through San Antonio on his way back. My kids and I showed him around the city for a week. And I dated another guy on that same forum for over 10 years before we just decided to remain friends. He lives in Austin and we still talk.

Comment

• LauraP
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

I hope to meet quite a few of the members when I go spend Sat and Sun at the hotel in Hamilton at the beginning of the retreat this next week. I can't stay for the whole week but I will take what I can get. Next time I go to see nieces in STL maybe I can meet Jean Sewing Machine and her group.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                        I hope to meet quite a few of the members when I go spend Sat and Sun at the hotel in Hamilton at the beginning of the retreat this next week. I can't stay for the whole week but I will take what I can get. Next time I go to see nieces in STL maybe I can meet Jean Sewing Machine and her group.
                        Yes, Laura, you should do that! Looking forward to meeting you!

Comment

• grammaterry
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

Let me know what day you might be in Marshall NC and I'll make sure we have a room for you. I have PM'D you with details.
                          Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                          I've met quite a few by going to the forum gathering in 2014 & 2015. Although I will miss seeing some that won't make it this year I will be happy to meet some others who will be there this year. I've gotten closest to the gals who I've socialized with while staying at the hotel, though. Conversations were light and we've gotten to know one another by talking and laughing about things other than fabric & quilting. My husband Steve takes me every year as my birthday present and keeps us entertained with is unique sense of humor.

Sharyn and I met for brunch one day in a Chicago 'burb - I live in Chicago part time. She presented me with the most beautiful purse! Hope to get up with her again this next trip too.

If the routing works out I hope to take a little side trip to meet GrammaTerry on the way to the retreat.
                          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                          Terry of NC

Comment

• shermur
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2013

Meeting up with other quilters who share my passion was one of the reasons I joined the forum. There have been a few phone calls (very few), intentions of meeting up and sewing/creating with others and for whatever reason(s), the timing just never was there. I did get there great opportunity to meet several members at the very first MSCQ Fall Fun Get Together, 2013. I only attended the one day (Saturday) and was very up-prepared to meet expectations.

I do long to meet other forum members.....from my research, there are not that many in my area. And finding the time is almost impossible, unless it's on the weekend. Believe it or not, there is a lot of quilters in my area and still are ignorant of who MSQC is. I do try to let my light shine when I see other quilters in the local quilt shops.
                            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• peggiep
                              Applique Angel
                              • Oct 2015

I have not yet met anyone from the forum, although I have tried. Monique and I were scheduled to meet in May at the Ottawa Quilt show but the timings were off and she left just as I arrived. Also, Bouse in Scotland and I were supposed to get together while we were there this summer, but unfortunately Bouse was not well enough.
                              Hope to meet Monique soon...maybe I can get in on the retreat in NY with Jean Sewing Machine, Nan and Vicki! We'll see,
                              Peggiep
                              "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

Working...
                              X