PDA

View Full Version : Thought for today... food combinations

Mimi_Howard
September 10th, 2016, 04:09 PM
As I was out picking the tomatoes this morning I thought how others turn their nose up at my lunchtime sandwich... Mayo and tomato on white bread...

And I also like mayo and banana combo and I also put potato chips in my bologna sandwich.

Do you like food combinations that friends and family think are weird?

Mimi_Howard
September 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Tried to edit.. should have also included chili over spaghetti instead of sauce.. Yummo!

shirleyknot
September 10th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I prefer to pour my chili over shredded lettuce and top with shredded cheese.

Sandy Navas
September 10th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Cold pork 'n' beans (MUST be VanCamps) with cottage cheese!!!!!!!!!!

am2901
September 10th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I prefer to pour my chili over shredded lettuce and top with shredded cheese.

I'm glad to see this idea. I recently had a bag of chopped lettuce that I got for free at the grocery store, and all I could think of to use it for was salad and sandwiches (I did wonder if it could be used in a hot vegetable soup, but never got around to trying that). To top the lettuce with chili and grated cheese does sound good. Thanks, Shirley!

Mimi_Howard
September 10th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Cold pork 'n' beans (MUST be VanCamps) with cottage cheese!!!!!!!!!!

Love both of these and now I have to try this combo!!

bakermom
September 10th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I like my chili over Fritos instead of crackers. No other odd combos that I can think of.
when I was growing up, my mom's family used to "shoot szalona". For the non-Hungarians here- you take slab bacon, cut crosshatches on the fatty side and hold it over an open fire. The grease is then dripped onto bread(preferably rye), sliced peppers and onions. then eaten. Yeah, that's right -bacon grease on bread! First time my DH witnessed this I though he was going to die.

Carolnnc
September 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=Mimi_Howard;906264]As I was out picking the tomatoes this morning I thought how others turn their nose up at my lunchtime sandwich... Mayo and tomato on white bread...QUOTE]

The only time I eat white bread is in the summer when tomatoes are fresh. Duke's mayo, sliced tomatoes, salt and as much pepper as the bread will hold. In the south that is "high dining"! With spaghetti we have slaw instead of a salad which my DH found odd at first but now loves.

Carlie Wolf
September 10th, 2016, 05:19 PM
cucumber, mayo, salt and pepper on white bread is my summer staple. I get tons of cucumbers in my garden. I like tomato, mayo, S&P on white too but it doesn't always like me. (acid reflux). This year I did plant some Brandywine tomatoes (they are very large) and they are low acid and sweet. I was able to eat them though.

Hulamoon
September 10th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Kimchi and scrambled eggs. You can't buy any brand of kimchi I found out. One I threw out the first bite. Now I have a favorite.

Lori63
September 10th, 2016, 06:12 PM
As I was out picking the tomatoes this morning I thought how others turn their nose up at my lunchtime sandwich... Mayo and tomato on white bread...

And I also like mayo and banana combo and I also put potato chips in my bologna sandwich.

I don't eat bologna sandwiches very often but when I do, I HAVE to have potato chips on it! I don't think I eat weird combinations anymore, but when I was younger I liked putting ketchup on my corn, although I think I liked the red and yellow together more than the taste!

KarenC
September 10th, 2016, 06:21 PM
I grew up with those tomato sandwiches. We had to go pick the tomatoes right off the bush and either eat it as you described or just bite into it like an apple. Also had the chips on the sandwiches in high school. Added just the right amount of crunch. I can't think of anything weird that I have eaten in the past or now. I do try to explore new foods occasionally. Had fried asparagus a few weeks ago. That was different.

mommadeb
September 10th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I also put potato chips in my bologna sandwich.

I put chips on my bologna sandwiches too! I also LOVE peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches.

K. McEuen
September 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Chili on a baked potato is really good too. As kids we would eat peanut butter and bologna sandwiches, or peanut butter and dill pickle. Not sure I could do that anymore. My oldest sister used to eat grape jelly on Velveeta cheese. That made the rest of us gag just seeing it. Hubby said they ate peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.

PatinValrico
September 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Can we hear our arteries slamming shut?? Just kidding, bet it is yummy!!

pcbatiks
September 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I do like chips on sandwiches......like with chicken salad.

Not so sure about most of the combos mentioned so far :D .........yikes.........grape jelly & velvetta! :D

I guess I'm pretty boring.......I can't think of any weird combos that gross out my family.

Well, one thing that my DH thinks is weird is.........I used to eat pudding on toast when I was younger. I learned that from my cousins......it pretty good! :D

PatinValrico
September 10th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Octopus and squid on a stick...Yumm:D

Carah
September 10th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Ketchup on scrambled eggs.
Peanut butter on pancakes
Chips on sandwiches

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 07:18 PM
I think I have caught MM's nauseousness...you know, like sympathetic morning sickness. My stomach is icky, I got a sudden migraine and I'm thinking that I should not have read this post as I'm getting kind of queasy!

I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with potato chips or fritos in it. When I was growing up, my mom used to quarter bananas and smear them w/mayo and roll them in bran flakes and I remember really liking them! Wonder if I still would?

Sandy Navas
September 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM
We used to do spearmint leaves on Wonder bread with mayo and salt and pepper. Also nasturtium leaves the same way.

Mom used to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but I preferred peanut butter with bread and butter pickles.

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 08:15 PM
We used to do spearmint leaves on Wonder bread with mayo and salt and pepper. Also nasturtium leaves the same way.

Mom used to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but I preferred peanut butter with bread and butter pickles.

I like peanut butter with dill pickles......or celery sticks w/peanut butter!!

shirleyknot
September 10th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Ketchup on scrambled eggs.
Peanut butter on pancakes
Chips on sandwiches

I STILL eat peanut butter on pancakes!

jjkaiser
September 10th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Well when I was a kid I ate peanut butter and mayo on white bread, that would make me gag today! My husband used to take onion dip sandwiches on white bread to school in his lunchbox. Is that gross or what. I like chili over elbow Mac.

Mimi_Howard
September 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM
II like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with potato chips or fritos in it. When I was growing up, my mom used to quarter bananas and smear them w/mayo and roll them in bran flakes and I remember really liking them! Wonder if I still would?

So by rolling the bananas in bran flakes make it much more healthier .... I am IN !!!! Get my bran!:icon_heh:

Vonnie
September 10th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Chocolate chips in a peanut butter sandwich! Yum!

DH loves sweet pickles in a peanut butter sandwich.

When I was a kid, I liked Salami and potato chip sandwiches.

I also like to crumble up a nutri-grain bar into greek yogurt and put cool whip on top. That's delish too.

MayinJerset
September 10th, 2016, 10:37 PM
I have no really odd combos that I eat or have eaten as a kid. My brother Jim and I used to crumble Ritz crackers in our soft boiled eggs. Crunching some potato chips on sandwiches sounds good. Certain sandwiches have to have the right bread like BLT's need toasted Wonder Bread.

When DS#3 was a kid his friend Matt was at our house every day so of course I included him at lunch time and for a chubby kid he ate very little. Mentioned that to his mom. turns out he didn't like most of what I served, our PB was crunchy, our jam had lumps (strawberries), he hated scrambled eggs, tuna fish salad, ham, etc., etc. His fave sandwich was smooth PB with grape jelly and baloney, cheese and mayo combo. Gross. After that he brought his lunch over.

Bubby
September 11th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I also love tomato sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Whenever I eat beef stew give it a good dousing with apple cider vinegar. Jeff thinks this is strange. I also love dipping green bell peppers into peanut butter for a snack.

Cathy F
September 11th, 2016, 07:12 AM
love tomato and mayo sandwiches in the summer with those fresh picked tomatoes, and I like some potato chips on some sandwiches for the extra crunch.

Carol336
September 11th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Peanut butter and banana
scrambles eggs with salsa and a few dashes of Franks Hot Sauce
Tomato, mayo and onion on toasted bread

shirleyknot
September 11th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I like to slice a big tomato and eat it with a little mayo, no bread.

bubba
September 11th, 2016, 02:05 PM
It did not occur to me this might be strange, until someone mentioned vinegar. Homemade Navy bean soup w/some vinegar stirred in! That is how I've always eaten it, because my dad did. MM can't stand it!

toggpine
September 11th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Cheddar cheese, Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onion slab, Miracle Whip, all on Oatnut bread. The guys at work were appalled that there was no meat. The onions had to be in season though.
Pickled okra. Potato chips (Ruffles) on tuna sandwiches.

Bjvarizona
September 12th, 2016, 02:31 AM
My husband thinks I am wierd because I enjoy peanut butter, dill pickles and lettuce sandwiches. Learned to eat them in the 7th grade because that's what was offered at my best friend's house. I still enjoy them, load up on the lettuce and not the peanut butter to save calories. But now that I've read these posts I know I'm perfectly normal!!

pcbatiks
September 12th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Cheddar cheese, Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onion slab, Miracle Whip, all on Oatnut bread. The guys at work were appalled that there was no meat. The onions had to be in season though.
Pickled okra. Potato chips (Ruffles) on tuna sandwiches.

Pickled okra AND tuna...........Yikes! :D

dizzyLiz
September 12th, 2016, 09:24 AM
This may be a southern thing. Take a biscuit, large slice of vine fresh tomato, and add some cold fried okra. Wonderful

WendyI
September 12th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I can't eat this very often anymore but I love cheese whiz and peanut butter on white bread with a huge glass of milk...oh and lots of ice in my milk. I could LIVE on it! Also, rye bread toasted with butter, cheese whiz and strawberry or raspberry jam. Or any cheddar cheese with jam. YUM!

These are like treats to me now but I still love them. I also chew a lot of ice.