PDA

View Full Version : :knocking on wood:

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM
It's day two post the first chemo treatment and all seems to be going well. During the treatment, he got a tingly tongue, then a metal taste, but that was to be expected and both went away quickly. Since then, he has been taking his meds faithfully and drinking all the fluid he needs to and seems to be doing fine. He wanted to go to the lake this weekend, but I told him I was not comfortable being so far (okay, it's just 1.5 hours) from the doctors, so he sighed heavily at me and agreed.

And now we are off....he wants to go shoe shopping!

pcbatiks
September 10th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Wow ...... He wants to go shoe shopping! Are you sure that's not one of the side effects? :D

Glad to hear he is doing well so far.

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Well, I may have spoke too soon! I don't remember him having any coke yesterday. He likes coke like people love Starbucks. Does not taste good today.....

Sandy Navas
September 10th, 2016, 04:23 PM
A man who wants to go shoe shopping is a man worth taking to the store!!!!!!!!!!!!

pcbatiks
September 10th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Pat, when my DH had chemo treatment (years ago) it messed up his sense of taste........No comments from Sandy! :D Foods that he liked just didn't taste right for a while. But after some time......his taste buds were back to normal.

sewlucky
September 10th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Good news. Hope he continues to feel well.

Terri

klgls
September 10th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Well, I may have spoke too soon! I don't remember him having any coke yesterday. He likes coke like people love Starbucks. Does not taste good today.....

That's a pretty normal side effect. My coffee did not taste right for quite a while.

Caroline T.
September 10th, 2016, 06:00 PM
My mother experienced that metal taste thing too, and foods tasted off for her as well. Using plastic forks and not serving any foods or drinks that came in a can (plastic or glass was ok) helped alot. But there were still some foods that tasted wierd.

Lori63
September 10th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Glad to hear he's doing well! And if he want's to go shoe shopping, by all means go...maybe you can pick a pair for you too!

K. McEuen
September 10th, 2016, 06:35 PM
The whole wanting to go shoe shopping thing scares me ...

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 07:41 PM
So far, it's ketchup and coca cola that does not taste good to him. He isn't happy about either one!

The shoes were not for either of us. They were for a high school boy we do not know, who is homeless, and went to school the first week in sandals a couple sizes too small. He will now be sporting Nikes and Vans and twelve new pairs of socks (six pair each of white and black) come Monday. We dropped them off to a friend who will deliver them to the boy later this afternoon. MM truly has a soft spot in him.

GaGa
September 10th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Your hubby sounds like a wonderful person (in fact you both do) and I'm glad he is doing so well!!

MayinJerset
September 10th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Good for MM, he is putting this trying time to good use buying shoes and socks for that poor kid.

I used to take my sister Louise for chemo and it never affected her appetite or sense of taste, on the way home after her treatments she made me stop at an Italian shop where she picked up a big bag or prepared foods.

bubba
September 10th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Your hubby sounds like a wonderful person (in fact you both do) and I'm glad he is doing so well!!

We try to help when we are able. I have been saving my pennies for the retreat, but I made and exception and bought one of the pairs. I picked black Nike hightops and he picked all black Vans. That style Vans was all Tyler would wear when he was that age, and I consulted a young man on the pair I picked!!

I wish we could see the smile on his face when he gets them. We got gift receipts in case they aren't his style.

K. McEuen
September 10th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Ketchup and Coke are both very high in acid, I wonder if that has something to do with them not tasting right to him now.

Grandma G
September 10th, 2016, 11:06 PM
You and MM are very special people!! As for food not tasting the same - my nephew who is battling lung cancer has had several rounds of chemo. He has lost his sense of taste, hopefully not for forever. And hopefully that won't happen to MM.

Simply Quilting
September 11th, 2016, 12:04 AM
It is wonderful to hear that MM is doing great with his treatments and is feeling good. How nice to get shoes and socks for the young man.

stationarymom
September 11th, 2016, 02:12 AM
Glad to hear that things are still going well.

Bubby
September 11th, 2016, 03:23 AM
My husband Mike lost his taste for coffee when he was taking treatments. There will be a lot of little blips like this along the way.

WendyI
September 12th, 2016, 10:39 AM
It's good that he lost his taste for pop...it's so bad for you! The only thing we usually drink in our house is water and milk....and pop (soda) is a treat.

You and MM are darling to do this for someone who is obviously so deserving. Going to school while homeless...amazing kid.