PDA

View Full Version : Friday, Dec 16th.

Blondie
December 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Good Friday morning everyone!
Wow, what a fast and crazy week this has been. Last night was a dinner with hubby's co workers, Monday night we got to see Trans Siberian Orchestra. Two events in a week which is a Wow for this couple. LOL.

Folks, we have decided on no new puppy at the present time. I am disappointed but hubs is pretty firm on this. One of my friends got one of those bassie pups so I will have visitation rights since I told her about them.

Gotta go and get caught up on yesterday's reading.

Ladies, once again I may not be here over the weekend. Sis and I are planning a weekend with Mom to do some marathon cookie baking. Oh, is it ever going to smell wonderful on the Hill.

Sandy, hoping that you are feeling more like yourself today. S.A.D. is a terrible condition. My Sis suffers mightily from it in years past. I generally have to slap it out of her.I think you have done a LOT with the grands, and your cold and then the fall have not helped you in the holiday cheer department. Here's a glass of eggnog lifted to you !

Prayers dispatched already this morning for everyone needing an extra touch. Hope everyone beats the distractions that cause us such angst during this special time of year. I revel in my imperfections.

EsGrandma
December 16th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Good Morning! Can't believe that I am up this early, but am excited to start baking. Family coming into town and can hardly wait - Prayers going out to all - know that this time of year can be especially hard - please, be gentle on yourselves. Linda

quilter.martha
December 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Good morning all!

Here is what I got to work on yesterday. Acutally, this is the one I made and ended up giving to a DF (pulled it off the wall when I learned they were popping in for a quick visit)--her's was on my sewing machine as a work in progress. Anyway, I stole this idea from someone here on the forum but I can't remember who! I say THANK YOU to everyone who shares their projects for us to get inspiration from.

PS--my DH made the wire hanger!

MRoy
December 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Good morning! Martha, the wall hanging is so cute. Your DH did a great job on the hanger too! Blondie, enjoy your baking, etc.

TGIF!!

Bubby
December 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Good Morning! Martha, your snowman is awesome cute..and the hanger is the perfect accent!!! Blondie, enjoy your baking day with Mom and Sis. I did my marathon cookie baking Wednesday and it was so enjoyable with Christmas carols playing, a light snow falling and Molly at my feet hoping I would drop a tray of cookies for her to scarf up (anything that lands on the floor is HERS!)

Today is going to be a sewing day for me....YAY! I hope you all have a wonderful day! Hugs, Barb

Beakkmom
December 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Good morning Quilty friends~ Blondie I can almost smell the fragrance of your cookies! Martha, the snowman is sooo cute! Mom is stable for now so I shall begin my Christmas shopping today! DH said he'd shop for everyone at Bass Pro....oh my...... Each morning I look forward to meeting up with you girls as I sip my coffee. I have felt your prayers, and offer prayers for little ones and quilty sisters with need. Hugs to all.

Blessings this Joyous time of year,

Lin

Monique
December 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Good morning everyone.

Woohoo, made the final 3 totes yesterday. I made a mother-daughter set. I will get pics up soon.

I just got word yesterday that my oldest son, who is in the navy on the west coast, that next summer he is moving to either Montreal or Ottawa. He would really not rather go to Montreal because his wife does not speak French and it would be difficult for her to find work. She is an optician. Either way, he will be either 3 hours from us or 1 hour from us. Wow to have him close again. I am already thinking of next Christmas. To have all my family around me would be the best gift EVER!!

So I am in a wonderful mood today. I do have one more bag to make for Ruby, and I know she is not in a rush. Working to get the black and white quilt finished before Christmas, YIKES!!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Sandy Navas
December 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Good Morning, all my wonderful Quilty Friends! I rolled out of bed with eager thoughts of completing at least another project today. Ah, will I make it, will I make it? Almost there. Finished Emily's portfolio yesterday - I need to get Al to take pictures for me since I'm such a lousy photographer. Three down and two smaller ones to go. Still have a couple outside presents to pick up and the cookies to bake next week. I'll make it one way or the other. Maybe Saturday we can find a live tree - we'll be hoping. What is with the trees? Living overseas I guess I missed out but I do remember the Boy Scouts having trees for sale on every corner with bells ringing and lights flashing. Not even the big box stores have live trees any more. Guess it is a drive into the country to find a tree farm.

Have two girls showing up sometime today to do a couple projects on the embroidery machine - they want to make in-the-hoop zippered bags . . . basically they pick the fabrics and Nana does the project while they watch. Funny thing is we have to separate them as they are making them for each other. This should be fun. Next week it is just cookies, cookies, cookies.

I'm taking everyone's suggestions to heart and just maybe I'll get a little glam and glitter showing here and there. I think more than anything I'm just feeling L A Z Y!!

Sending prayers to those in need. Especially remembering those friends who have children whose health is in jeopardy. Remembering those who are facing chemo and radiation. Remembering all those who have family members with ailing health. Remembering those who have lost loved ones, those who need a helping hand, those who have lost their faith, all those who need a bit of warmth and love in their lives. Sending hugs to those who mean so much to me . . . as I love our daily contacts. God Speed to all those who are traveling, having loved ones traveling, and who are looking forward to the next year with eager anticipation of great things. As Ernest Hemingway said: "Salud, amor, y pesitas, y el tiempo para gastarlas." (For those who don't translate: "Health, Love, and Money! And all the time in which to spend them."

rebeccas-sewing
December 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Martha - Did you have to practice a lot to get the FMQ technique mastered? Yours looks so good!

Hey Sandy! So glad you're feeling a bit more chipper today! There's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling lazy now and then. Just as long as that's all it is I'm not going to worry about you. I'm really dragging my heels on finishing up a couple of projects. I think I'm off for a cup of hot chocolate. Maybe it'll light a fire under my keister.

Have fun, ladies, with your holiday baking and holiday traditions. It's a very special time of year!

Blondie - Sorry the pup is off the table. At least you've got your little lap doggie!

Catch ya later!

janluna
December 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone, Sandy, I hope you feel better soon. Blondie, I know you had your heart set on the puppy for LL, thank goodness for Gracie.
I'm praying for all those in pain and suffering, and those who have problems.
Please remember Emily today as she is at this moment getting another emergency blood transfusion to be followed by another Bone Marrow biopsy. She is such a brave child who has matured beyond her 11 years. Her birthday is the 14th of January. Here's praying for a better year for her 12th. Although at the moment, her future is not looking so good. They think she has Leukemia now and that the Aplastic Anemia is back. She had an emergency transfusion last Friday because her platelet count was down to 900 and her ANC level was down to 700. This is extremely dangerous. Thank you for your prayers.
Ruby, your postcard is in her backpack. She took it to school and is taking it to the hospital today to show her nurses and Doctor.
Blessings on you all, in this season of remembering our Lord's birth. Thank God for sending His Son to save us. Hugs and Love, Jan L.

CrazyMtnLady
December 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Good morning to all from the Sunny Ozarks! I hope everyone is feeling better that has been ill. My prayers are with Emily. No child should have to go through such trials.
My day will be busy packing my DH's truck up for his gun show in Arkansas this weekend. I won't have the computer so I will miss all of you this weekend. I will have to catch up on Monday. He always takes the computer with him so he can look up gun values and such. :( But I don't mind. It is my chance to get caught up on my housework (I get so much more done when he is not underfoot).
I hope you all have a great weekend.

oldgurl4
December 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone!....

Just passing thru.... to say

~HOLA~

You all have a GR8 Weekend.
Stay Safe and Prayers where needed.

HandsOffItsMine
December 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Morning dear friends,

Got more sewing yesterday, dropped off some Angel Tree gifts at the Mall, grocery shopping (yuck), cross-stitching a Star Trek Next Generation character line up for my SIL. He's such a GEEK. We need to get the packages in the mail today.

Picked up the last 2.5 yards of natural flannel at FabricMart yesterday, need to wash/dry it today to finish off a quilt to get in the post on Monday. $3.95/yard - not bad, hope it doesn't shred to pieces (hate bolts with no mfg. name) Today more pieces besides post office run.

Blondie, bummer no new puppy. ;( We so miss having a dog or cat.

Martha, just love your snow man and the hanger. Your DH would sell those to us :) I love your stippling!

Monique, how exciting that your son will be near again! Just like our troops coming home! What a celebration. You've been busy girl with your sewing, can you clone yourself and sent your 2nd you my way. :)

Sandy, we have trees every where here...Home Depot, Wally, Target, Kmart, corner stands. 7' for $50 to $60. I was surprised as the price is what it would cost in CA. No room here, and we're behind the 8 ball (I like my tree up from TG to NY) - think I'm going to design a 3.5' x 8' wall hanging of a Xmas Tree in 2012 to solve our problem. lol - Hope the pain is going away from your fall.

Jan, just told Don about Emily's update and our hearts ache for you all. She's such a special child. :) Prayers will continue that a cure of the L & A will do the job. How cute that the 3 dolphins are making their way around. I thought that card fit the sisters well!

Those who are baking...lucky you...I'm waiting for DH to clean the oven with EasyOff. He's not too happy 'cause I don't think any of the prior tenants in the 7 years have ever done so.

Prayers, love and hugs, Ruby

Claire Hallman
December 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Do you ever sit a pan of ammonia in the oven the night before you want to clean it. It makes the gunk just melt. it has been years since I had an oven that didn't clean itself but remember this method from my youth. You can clean grill racks by putting them into a big plastic bag and adding ammonia, too. Just let it sit overnight and the next day, voila.

HandsOffItsMine
December 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Do you ever sit a pan of ammonia in the oven the night before you want to clean it. It makes the gunk just melt. it has been years since I had an oven that didn't clean itself but remember this method from my youth. You can clean grill racks by putting them into a big plastic bag and adding ammonia, too. Just let it sit overnight and the next day, voila.

Claire, brilliant...Will get some! The last non-selfcleaning was in the 80s-this is the original white electric oven for 1970. TG it's not avocado green or harvest gold. :)

Thanks for the tip!

stitching woman
December 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone have been really busy working on Christmas gifts and have not checked in awhile. Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and prayers to all who need them.

Hugs,

Granny Judy
December 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Just taking a break from "cleaning" before getting myself in the shower.. had a couple of down days with some type of stomach bug. I've done all the cooking and should remember that PORK doesn't like me. But I love My Pork Chops!! OH, well, another thing to write on my list of things to NOT DO. The older I get the longer this list gets. Aging is not for the weak!!

I miss not having a dog the most.. lost my friend of 12 years in 2008. So I love on my DD's 2 dogs and 3 cats. And then there are the neighbors!! With a park 1/2 block away, I get lots of furry luvin'.

I have my Cookie baking schedule this next week . So all the good smells should be around for the entire week~~plate full to work with DD & I keep the rest!! Gonna store them in my digestive track before anyone else gets to them.

Definitely sent prayers out to all.. Know that God Loves you and so do I. Off to do the self clean on this ol body. That means pulsating shower with lots of sweet smelling (home made) soap.

Loonwatcher
December 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi all. I'm finally getting here. Wicked busy day at work.

Jan, praying for Em. She sure doesn't deserve this; she's such a wonderful girl. God will see her through.

Sandy, how can you send me that Santa Jr. joke and still be in a down mood? Just pull that baby out and have another look.;)

Just read 2 pages of your posts. I so enjoy your stories but by the end I forget who said what. Please know that with each story I have a chuckle, say a pray, turn a little green with envy, rejoice in some good news, etc.

For over 10 years I've used my Christmas bonus to pay for our early Feb. vacation to a warm, sunny place. It's the only way I survive the freezing Vermont winters. I just found out today that the company is having cash flow issues and there won't be a bonus this year. I'm BUMMED! Does that make me a bad person? Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a job, reasonably good health and a comfortable warm home. But I sure will miss that vacation and this winter will be soooooo long. After last winter that kept hitting us well into late April and even May.....UGH.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Ms. Blondie, is that cookies I smell.....mmmmmm!

Hugs,

quiltingtrish
December 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
1 more day. Darn oldest - has to go right to a job after picking Odie up at the airport in the morning so I won't get to see him until tomorrow night. I'm just happy he's coming.
More prayers for Emily - no child should have to go through all this. And more prayers for Heaven too. These children are heavy on my heart.

More cleaning tonight so tomorrow I can just enjoy sitting with my son. DH brought home a scrumptious smelling pine tree so that needs decorated too. All the trim is sitting right here, just need to get it all on the branches.

Hope you all have a great evening. Looks like I'll be staying up late. Katie starts her milking shift at 2 AM and I need to be sure she is up on time. When she gets home at 10:30 in the morning, she'll have some time to sleep some before her brother gets here.

Hugs,

MRoy
December 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My sister lost her final battle with cancer earlier this evening and has gone home to be with the Lord. She fought so hard for almost 20 years and she battled this time until her grandson-in-law could make it home from Iraq. He got home about an hour before she passed away. She was my only sister and I know she's at peace now.

ChristineB
December 16th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Oh Myrna, my deepest sympathies to you! So sorry for your loss.

Sandy Navas
December 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Myrna, please accept our condolences on the loss of your sister. Prayers being said for the comfort of your family. Take solace in the thought that she's at peace.

HandsOffItsMine
December 16th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Myrna, Don and I extend our condolences as well. She's with God with no more pain and know that your family will be in our prayers during the upcoming healing process. Hugs, Ruby

K. McEuen
December 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Claire, brilliant...Will get some! The last non-selfcleaning was in the 80s-this is the original white electric oven for 1970. TG it's not avocado green or harvest gold. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Hey, in my ancient house I have a harvest gold oven and cooktop. The oven has the self-cleaning cycle. They must have gone high dollar when they bought it. I've had the house about 11 years now, been waiting for them both to die so I can justify replacing them and they both are still going strong.

MRoy
December 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks Ladies, I appreciate all of you and your thoughts for my family so much.

Nena
December 16th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I love your snow man---and the hanger is so cute!!! I have had a not too bad day. Work as usual--thankful that I have a job at least. Not snowing, not raining----so no complaints. I know I should start getting the house ready for Christmas day---but would love to put it off somemore and just sew---is that so bad??? Have a good weekend everyone!!!

K. McEuen
December 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Myrna. Your sister fought for a long time, I'm sure you'll miss her.

stitching woman
December 17th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Myrna I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, may she rest in the arms of the Lord. My prayers are with you and your family.

quiltingtrish
December 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister, Myrna. I am glad she is resting now and in no more pain. Truly, prayers are with you and your families.

Hugs,

MRoy
December 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your prayers for my family. They are truly appreciated.

BellasQuilts
December 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I think I gained 5 lbs with all this talk about cookie baking! Sounds like we are getting close - presents getting finished, people arriving home for the holidays, cleaning and getting ready for visitors. Love the excitement!

Jan and Myrna, I am holding you both so close in my prayers wishing I could give you both a huge hug right now.

Last night we were invited to the Sheriff's Mounted Unit Xmas dinner. It was very nice they included us since Bella, our horse they rode for 11 years, passed this year. It was a great time to catch up with all of them.
Today I have a hair appt, more sewing, then tonight we go see DD#1's production of Nutcracker. She is the costume designer for the State Street ballet (http://www.statestreetballet.com/touring_nutcracker.php). She has made some new costumes and is anxious for us to see them. Love and hugs to all my quilting buddies, Megan