PDA

View Full Version : A Successful Summer for Catherine (longish)

Over40momma
September 9th, 2016, 12:18 PM
For those who may not remember, my youngest daughter, has been in treatment for PTSD from bullying. She had reached a point where she was suicidal.

Her treatment at with the psychologist ended in mid-December and she was out of imminent danger to self-harm. But she was far from healed. We began a journey together that was founded in the roots of my native heritage. For simplicity sake, we will call it "a path to light". She received no justice and no acknowledgement from those who had done her such severe harm. The school was more interested in adopting the attitude of moving forward. A good attitude but to one who has been damaged for no reason than because others felt an entitlement to do so; this was not bringing Catherine relief or help. The 'path' is a meditative and goal oriented ritual that allows the person to choose whether to forgive or not. Element of all parts of nature are brought in and used to create a gentle environment and to honor the Great Spirit. A candle, which encompasses the power of the sun and the mysteries of the moon, is used as a focal point. Breathing, contemplation and verbalization are used to calm the mind, body and spirit.

It is not easy to forgive where the hurt is so deep, so we worked with simple things to begin with. She embraced the empowerment of those releases with true gusto. As the ritual progressed over the coming months, she became so willing to "let the light in" (forgiveness freely given without expectation) that many of the symptoms and triggers of her condition receded. The power she felt when she realized she did not have to forgive those who hurt her was a major turning point. When she learned that she offered forgiveness simply as a means to release the poison of hurts to her spirit, she obtained a type of justice that had been denied to her. This is one of the most difficult rituals to work through, even for adults, but she has kept her heart open and is making wonderful progress. She still frets about not feeling the way she once did; but she is coming to accept that lights can only shine the brightest when they are chasing away the darkness.

She is now in a new school where none of her former tormentors (um, classmates) are in attendance. This was one of the concessions the school board grudging allowed (along with transportation to and from). They are still in the "honeymoon" phase of getting to know each other but already she has been making friends and using good judgement with those associations.

Catherine still has a long way to go to be completely healed but I just wanted to update you on how far this young lady has progressed. I also wanted you to know that prayers you have been offering have been sowing a bounty of healing. My deepest and most sincere thanks to you all.

klgls
September 9th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Sounds like Catherine is on the path and I'm sure your support and love has made a big difference.

PatinValrico
September 9th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I will continue to pray for your (individual and collective) strength and peace. One day at time and maintain consistency. Best wishes.

Caroline T.
September 9th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Reaching the realization that forgiveness is not about justice or reform of the ones who did you wrong, or even about forgetting the wrong that was done, but instead forgiveness is about the desire and willingness to allow your own heart to heal, is a major step for anyone, and a very difficult one to take.

It sounds like Catherine has begun her journey to healing. She must be a truly strong and amazing young lady (even if she doubts it herself) to have found the strength to get to this point.

I have no doubt that with the continued love and support from her family, and true friends, the end of her journey to healing will bring her to great joy in her life.

Our prayers will continue for Catherine's continued healing.

pcbatiks
September 9th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Sandy, I'm so happy to see your post. Very happy to hear that Catherine is making good progress in her healing journey. I can't imagine how hard this has been for her and for you. She sounds like an incredible young lady. She is stronger than she realizes. I'll continue to pray for her full recovery & healing. The two of you cross my mind often.

Thanks for giving us an update.

KarenC
September 9th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Very glad to hear that things are much more positive for her.

SallyO'Sews
September 9th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the update, Sandy. I will continue to pray for you and Catherine.
Quilty hugs,
~ Sally \0/