PDA

View Full Version : home and resting....

bubba
September 8th, 2016, 07:29 PM
MM worked graveyard last night, leaving early this morning to get to chemo on time. I had to be there once they started the chemo drugs, so I got there about 1000 (he got there at 0800). My daughter dropped me off and I went in and found him. They had just started the first chemo drug. About an hour later, a lady showed up for her appointment. I have seen people, well heard people, with chronic hiccups, but I have never heard of nonstop burping!!! Every three or four seconds she would burp! Her husband was with her and after about an hour he said to her, you are really testing my patience!! One of the nurses went over to unhook her and the lady asked the nurse how old her baby was now and what she had named it.....her name is Abigail and I think she said she was five months old. The woman said, oh, well what do you call her? ......uh, Abigail. MM had not heard this exchange and I was trying not to laugh, but told him about it once the woman was gone. The nurse heard me and started laughing, saying it was all she could do not to laugh at her when she asked that. MM told her she should have told her that they call her George.

Anyway, he has had lunch and is now sleeping. I'm going to make egg flower soup for dinner, but I'm not expecting him to wake up for many hours.

KarenC
September 8th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear he is resting peacefully. Funny story about the name.

Judy, USMC
September 8th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Love MM's response regarding the baby's name! Glad he's home too. Continued prayers.

Ginny B
September 8th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Pat, what a great job you did keeping your laughter in.

Sounds like it was a long day for you guys. Glad MM got some rest but remember, you need to take care of yourself too.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

songbird857
September 8th, 2016, 10:26 PM
smiling at MM's response!

bubba
September 8th, 2016, 10:39 PM
I actually heard him ask the nurses if he could drive after having chemo. Guess he does not want me to go with him! They said after today it would be fine, but I will still go with him....grrrrrr!

Grandma G
September 8th, 2016, 10:47 PM
I think you will feel better being there. Guess I'm one of those, "what ifs" people. Love the story about the burping lady. When you are in that type of setting you need to find humor wherever you can. Hang in there...

pcbatiks
September 8th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Glad to MM is keeping that sense of humor. Between the burping lady and her silly question it's a wonder you didn't start laughing! Good job keeping cool! :D

bubba
September 8th, 2016, 11:58 PM
He woke up and wanted dinner, so I made him from scratch Egg Flower Soup. Turned out pretty yummy! I added some zucchini to it that I had grilled the other night and he liked it.

Kgrammiecaz
September 9th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Great to hear it went well. Humor is always good. Okay what is egg flower soup?

bubba
September 9th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Okay what is egg flower soup?

They serve it often in Chinese restaurants. It has a chicken broth base, some ginger, green onion, black pepper, cornstarch and sesame oil and then you stir an egg in so the egg gets all stringy. Sometimes I add more stuff, but I was not taking chances today. Although, I did add some zucchini we had the other night. I've added thinly sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, chopped onion, diced potatoes and celery in the past...oh and chicken.

This is the recipe I used today. It is very mild and he thought it sounded good. His tummy is starting to get rumbly :(

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45515/restaurant-style-egg-drop-soup/

Kgrammiecaz
September 9th, 2016, 12:52 AM
They serve it often in Chinese restaurants. It has a chicken broth base, some ginger, green onion, black pepper, cornstarch and sesame oil and then you stir an egg in so the egg gets all stringy. Sometimes I add more stuff, but I was not taking chances today. Although, I did add some zucchini we had the other night. I've added thinly sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, chopped onion, diced potatoes and celery in the past...oh and chicken.

This is the recipe I used today. It is very mild and he thought it sounded good. His tummy is starting to get rumbly :(

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45515/restaurant-style-egg-drop-soup/

Thanks! I am going to give it a try.

bubba
September 9th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks! I am going to give it a try.

You are welcome! Some recipes also call for soy sauce. Just google it and check out the different recipes. This one did not call for the sesame oil, just I added just a dash because he likes the taste it gives. The cornstarch makes it real smooth.

GuitarGramma
September 9th, 2016, 12:56 AM
It's a very good sign that MM is hungry. Eating is really important for chemo patients, as it helps them to keep up their strength.

I'm glad things went smoothly. And I applaud you for being MM's designated driver. No one should be driving a car right after a chemo treatment. Why, at my daughter's chemo center, they wouldn't even let people walk to the bathroom unattended!

bubba
September 9th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Believe me, they helped those who needed it. The majority of the time was spent w/iv's to replace his fluids and then the anti-nausea one. There were two chemo drugs, one took 30 minutes and the other was an hour. We were there six hours total, well he was.....I missed the first two hours before they started the actual chemo.

He only had a slight reaction while we were there and that was when his tongue tingled a bit. Right after that, he got a metal taste in his mouth. Tonight, his stomach is getting rumbly, but we have things for that. I did mention what you told me about and he said he might be willing to give it a try if he thinks he needs to.

stationarymom
September 9th, 2016, 02:00 AM
Pat glad to hear that today went well.I hope MM is still resting peacefully and hope he continues to.I would be going with him also if he was mine.I flew to Louisiana every time my Mom went for a new chemo round and would stay for several weeks too.
I have to ask what egg flower soup is too.

jjkaiser
September 9th, 2016, 02:46 AM
Well it sounds like a long day for both of you and that you should be resting too. Glad everything went well. The burping lady sounds awfully annoying but just think, what if you had to live with her?! That would be crazy. Your soup sounds really good. I need to find a few new things to try, I always make the same things over and over.

bubba
September 9th, 2016, 02:56 AM
He's on the phone w/a consulting nurse now.....suffering from vertigo :(

bubba
September 9th, 2016, 02:58 AM
I have to ask what egg flower soup is too.

I posted up above and gave a recipe. I'm sure you have it. Most Chinese restaurants serve it.....chicken broth base, and egg stirred in so it (the egg) is stringy, green onions.

LauraP
September 9th, 2016, 02:07 PM
stick some gas-x in your purse in case that lady is there the next time you are. The name thing reminds me of when I go to the restaurant and they ask seating for two? I always want to say, yes unless Mark Harmon comes in.

alliek
September 9th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Hope all goes well. Prayers for the two of you. God Bless