PDA

View Full Version : Hootin' and Stichin' Night Owl

kimsophia
September 8th, 2016, 01:57 AM
Hoot hoot! I happily found Karen's info on the free Craftsy sewing class today right after midnight, so I was able to play a class on "alternatives to free motion quilting" in the middle on the night. I got some variegated #5 perle cotton thread at Hobby Lobby that I thought might match my Kaffe quilt and it looks good. I'm doing hand stitching on it with the "big stitch" method. My batting said that it needed to be quilted every ten inches and I did this quilt in 8 inch blocks, so when I stitched it in the ditch around them it technically should be adequately quilted, but it looks awfully empty to me inside those blocks and I can imagine it wadding up in the wash, so I'm glad to have found a method that's fast and that I enjoy. I wanted to do free motion quilting on it but I can't deal with the size and weight of that quilt and I don't like the look of the stitching on the backing. I like this big stitch look a lot better.

I tried to find some frames at Hobby Lobby that would fit my cross stitching when I saw they were 50% off, but I didn't have my pieces along with me and the frames I bought are either too big or small...so I guess I'll be returning them tomorrow? I hope they take them back even though they were on sale.

How's your night going? @,@

stationarymom
September 8th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Hoot hoot Things are quiet here .It's a real muggy and foggy night outside I still have to run the ac because the weather is miserable because of Hermine still sitting off the coast.Kim i'm interested in the big stitch quilting ,how many stitches would you say you get on your needle at a time and how far apart are they? I haven't taken the time to watch a tutorial on it yet,but would like to give it a try.

kimsophia
September 8th, 2016, 03:14 AM
Joan, I'm sure I can get better but I'm not getting many stitches at all on the needle, just two or three. Part of the problem is that I'm going around circles and you just can't go far with using a straight needle to stitch a curve. I'm doing four stitches per inch. I think she said with thread that is #5 perle you could aim for five or six stitches per inch. I'm happy enough with the look, though! It goes pretty fast.

Judy, USMC
September 8th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Cooling off but the humidity is still high. We've been relatively free of insects ... until tonight. Went out at dusk and they were swarming. Saw a couple of bats, too, for the first time.

Spent the day getting organized and deciding what to pack to work on during the forum retreat. Spent some time during the day reading the forum too. I didn't know what to expect tonight ... possibly some thought provoking question. So happy to see that it's just a normal chit-chat about how the day went for us.

When I learned to hand quilt the instructor said to shoot for 8 stitches per inch and that 10 per inch would eventually come. Now 5 or 6 per inch sounds good to me for big stitch. Even 4 would work, I think.

CraftyJnet
September 8th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Good Evening! My little Penny dog made me get up; she decided she was hungry. Now that she's had a snack, I think I'm going back to bed!