PDA

View Full Version : My Harrowing Experience

GuitarGramma
September 7th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Last night, I got ON to a freeway OFF ramp. I am thanking God and my guardian angel today that I am alive!

I was driving to visit one of my daughters, and it grew dark. I got off the freeway to turn on my navigator since this was the first time I'd ever been to my daughter's new place. I couldn't get back on because the East-bound freeway entrance was totally blocked by big orange cones.

My navigator took me about 10 miles on dark country roads, then told me to turn left to get on the freeway, and to take the left fork. The signs at the fork said "East" to the left and "West" to the right, and the cones that had been between the two lanes were removed. So I took the left fork.

Something felt wrong. Just before the on-ramp would have become a single lane with no shoulder, I decided to pull out of the lane onto a little triangle of dirt on my left. At that moment, a car got off the freeway to my left and a truck got off the freeway to my right--from the single lane with no shoulder. I literally was in the only island of safety possible. Thirty seconds difference, and I might not be writing today!

I turned my car around and followed the other car out of that area.

Two minutes later, as I pulled into a Wal Mart parking lot to get my bearings, my DD called to see how I was doing. I poured out my nervous heart to her :icon_sniff: and we planned how to get me to her house. She even drove half way, met me, and guided me the rest of the way.

I am still a mess thinking about how close I came to getting on the freeway the wrong direction. But I'm also thanking God all day long for putting that gut feeling in my stomach.

bakermom
September 7th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Scary ! can happen so easy when you're in a strange area. glad you're OK

seaturtle
September 7th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Wow, that is scary! It's so easy to get disoriented driving in the dark on strange roads. And GPS doesn't always get the messages that roads are out/blocked on a timely basis. So thankful you made it to safety.

Cokie
September 7th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I'm so thankful you are safe!! What a scary situation.

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I'm happy your okay! The first time I went home from here my mom lent me her car. I went to go vist my dad and got off the ramp right into traffic. I lived in that county for 21 years and didn't know where I was. Calif freeways are the worst most nerve rattling experiences!

bubba
September 7th, 2016, 07:27 PM
When my kids were small (and before cellphones!) I was in traffic at a signal and in front of us was a large sedan with four old people in it. They were at the top of the off ramp on the surface street. Before I knew what was happening, the driver turned right onto the off ramp and got onto the freeway going the wrong direction! I pulled into the gas station lot that was there and got out and called state patrol from the pay phone. I was on the phone w/them for several minutes and lo and behold, here came the car with the four people in it, their faces had looks of sheer shock and they pulled into the same lot. I could not believe it!

Another time, we were in Seattle headed to dinner and had to go across the floating bridge. I was driving, since he did not know where we were going. I had never been on the floating bridge (aka I90) before, and about 1/4 mile from the far end, here came a set of headlights straight at us! A wrong way driver! I have no clue how far they travelled, but luckily they missed us!

Now here is a good story. As you know, I worked at 911. One night an elderly woman called in that her husband and car were missing. It was about midnight. He had Alzheimer's and his special treat each day was to pull the car into the garage. Well, he went to do it and after several minutes, he still had not come in the house. It was then she remembered that she had backed into the driveway!! These people lived about 15 miles from the Narrows Bridge. We started getting calls from people of a wrong way driver on SR16, which back then was a harrowing experience in itself! This little old man had made it thru surface streets to the freeway and was now on a secondary freeway, going the wrong direction! (You should look on your map, see where Lakewood, Washington is, the Narrows Bridge is, and where Gorst is.) Yes, he made it all the way to Gorst!!! It was probably a 40 mile drive, all in the wrong direction and nobody was hit or killed! Miracles do happen.

I am glad you are safe and did not actually get onto the freeway.

Carolnnc
September 7th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Oh Toni! Our guardian angels do look after us.

JCY
September 7th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Glad you were protected from a bad accident. The Lord was watching over you!

MRoy
September 7th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I'm glad you're okay. Your guardian angel was definitely riding with you.

Bubby
September 7th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I'm so glad you're okay. It could have been catastrophic...thankfully your angels were watching over you.

grammaterry
September 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I feel for you. I hate driving in new areas even In daylight. Government signs are not clear and if you don't know the route they are very confusing. Sometimes you get on the interstate to the right, sometimes to the left. No big overhead signs to give you note in advance. Seems they thing you know all the roads when clearly...we don't. I'm glad you made it safe and sound

MayinJerset
September 7th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Holy Moly, Thank goodness you're OK, I would have needed a stiff drink after that scary situation.

laura44
September 7th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Thank God for protecting you!

sewbizzy
September 7th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I am so glad you were watched over from above...such a scary story...

GuitarGramma
September 8th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Thank you all. It was really, really scary to realize how close I'd come to a disaster. I'm trying to figure out why the State of Illinois didn't cover up the East-bound sign. It was hanging there, plain as could be, and made me think I could go that way.

Pat, I appreciate you telling me all those stories--I've spent much of the day wondering if I could have survived if I'd gone any further. Your note will help calm the anxiety I'm still experiencing.

And, yes, I need to again publicly thank my guardian angel and God Almighty. There's no earthly reason why I realized something was wrong. That feeling had to come from a heavenly source!

Kgrammiecaz
September 8th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Happy to hear you are okay. I do not drive very much at night anymore. I find it much too difficult. I will around my area, but thats it. Heck I know I am only 62 , but I am ready for someone to drive me around! Lol

stationarymom
September 8th, 2016, 02:04 AM
How scary! I'm glad your gut was working and you listened to it.Here in the Boston area there have been calls of people driving off bridges and into the water because they only listened to their gps.The gps isn't always up to date with road changes.

Judy, USMC
September 8th, 2016, 04:41 AM
I also have a problem with GPS navigation ... especially where ramps are concerned. Steve does most of the driving so I watch the GPS. Mine seems to tell you one thing but will show you the opposite on the display. I don't trust it and refuse to use it if I need to travel on the interstates.

So happy you made it through this safely.

amartin24
September 8th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Praise God you are ok!

Suzette
September 8th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Praising God that all turned out okay for you and the other drivers.

Hugs to you! I can only imagine the emotions you are going through. Wine and chocolate work wonders for frayed nerves! :icon_bigsmile:

Sandy Navas
September 8th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Your Angel just knew that I need to meet you face to face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No stories - I'd scare the stuffing out of you for sure.

Ginny B
September 8th, 2016, 10:38 PM
OH my goodness Toni! So glad you are ok. It's so hard seeing things in the dark for me sometimes even in places I am familiar with. Glad those angels were watching over you.

GaGa
September 8th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Oh Toni, that's so frightening! So glad you are safe!!

GuitarGramma
September 9th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks, everyone. I think you all must be praying for me, because normally I'd be fretting and fretting over what could have happened. Instead, I'm incredibly calm and accepting (and thankful) that God helped me out here.

jjkaiser
September 9th, 2016, 03:01 AM
I would still be shaking. And looking for a non-freeway route the next time you go! Glad you are safe!! I am about to go to bed and now I am sure I will dream about this.