PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Cats and Carpet

PatinValrico
September 7th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Hey Wendy,

In regards to your carpet...

Some experts theorize that this is an instinctive behavior; in the wild, a cat would look for a place where they could bury or cover their vomit. Your carpet simply resembles more closely a place your cat would vomit in the wild than does your tile floor.

I would not take it personally.

shirleyknot
September 7th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Training helps. My cat now looks for the nearest pile of newspaper. Sure saves on clean-up.

tsladaritz
September 8th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Okay...how did you train your cat to go look for the paper?????

I am so sick of mine barfing on carpet!

shirleyknot
September 8th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I watched her closely (they do give teltale signs) and just shoved paper under her face at the right moment, then made much of her for hitting the paper. Took me a couple years.......... She's pretty consistent now. Oh, and keep a paper in the cat's favorite spots to barf. She will show you where. :D

tsladaritz
September 11th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Okay thanks! WE don't often catch them at it. I only hear if I am right by them soo.....But I will start putting paper down in the most common areas and see if I can implement this. I have 2 cats so it is going to be interesting. LOL

shirleyknot
September 11th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Be patient. They ARE cats..............:icon_rolleyes:

WendyI
September 12th, 2016, 10:35 AM
LOL! Yeah I read this as well...doesn't make me any happier about it! LOL!!

I actually went out and bought a carpet cleaner on the weekend. Gonna give it a go this week and hopefully it will work well!

Thanks for the thoughts on paper but honestly I think I would have to have it everywhere! LOL!

amartin24
September 12th, 2016, 02:31 PM
This might sound really gross, but if you leave the vomit for a day or so it will harden enough to peel right off the carpet. We cover the spot with a paper towel so nobody steps in it. If you try to clean it up or even wipe it while still wet, it makes a horrible mess/stain on the carpets. Been there, done that!

shirleyknot
September 12th, 2016, 03:09 PM
And if your cat is throwing up often, you have a problem that should be addressed. Either the cat has worms, is eating food that is hard on the stomach, or is suffering from excessive hairballs. All three can be remedied.

WendyI
September 13th, 2016, 10:17 AM
And if your cat is throwing up often, you have a problem that should be addressed. Either the cat has worms, is eating food that is hard on the stomach, or is suffering from excessive hairballs. All three can be remedied.

No they don't vomit that often...usually hair balls or from eating dog food. They are on the most expensive veterinary food you can buy as MiniPoose has crystals in her urine. It just feels like they do it constantly because it annoys me so much.

tsladaritz
September 15th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I think ours is hairballs. Mine is resistant to too much brushing and his is long hair so unless he brushes her all the time she is a furry mess. LOL