PDA

View Full Version : Random "Deep" Thoughts....

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Over the past few weeks, several forum friends have mentioned that things seem to have slowed down on the forum. May & I were talking and hoping to get fun conversations going again. A couple of years ago cyndiofthevortex started a night owl thread for all of us who couldn't sleep through the night......and it's still going. :) She started posting questions or topics to talk about. Someone would always post a topic to get us started. It was fun and helped fill long stretches of late hours when we were wide awake.

So we were thinking it would be fun to bring back some of those questions to be answered by anyone wanting to participate. But it doesn't have to be older questions from the past & it doesn't have to be about quilting. If you have an interesting topic or question please fill free to post it. This thread can be started by anyone. You don't have to be a night owl or an early bird......just join in whenever you like. We just want to have some fun conversations and interactions between forum members. Please keep it fun and friendly. These type of post can be fun for everyone and can be a helpful distraction for those who are going through trying times right now.

We can start with the following questions posted by Cyndi a few years ago. She was discussing creative ideas for quilting projects.

Where do you find your creative ideas? Quilt shows? Books? Your garden? Your kid's drawings? Cards and Calendars? Inspiration is everywhere!

Please share your stories with us. :)

WendyI
September 7th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Don't have time for this right now but thanks for posting! I've tried posting a few threads to get things going around here too! This is a fantastic idea!! xox

Cathy F
September 7th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Good idea, I always enjoyed those posts.

I get alot of my ideas from my local quilt shop. They always seem to find such great projects, that's why I have so many UFO's cause I always get sidetracked with the new new before finishing the previous one!

I also love Jenny's tutorials and have a "to do" list of those I want to try and then there's all the creativity posted right here on the board.

So many projects and just not enough time!

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Wendy, just come back and post when you have time and be thinking of other questions or topics. :) I need to get on the exercise bike and will post my answer in a little while.

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2016, 12:17 PM
That's a great idea. I was very active when the night owls started, but it became just like the morning thread. In my time zone they are the same thing. lol I was on a forum where they had a question of the day or night now. It was really fun.

Caroline T.
September 7th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Most of my quilts come from either Jenny's tutorials or other patterns I found on Craftsy.

But my most creative and unique quilt was inspired by my mother. Mom was an avid quilter and also into family geneology.

Before she passed away, she had planned one particulal table runner using the orange peal applique, already having purchased the fabric and started cutting out the orange peals, but she told me that she had changed her mind and she wanted to make it into a family tree. Knowing Mom was near the end and would never get this one started, much less finished, we discussed what she wanted done. She wanted the fabrics she had chosen used, and each leaf (orange peel) to represent a member of her family.

Two months later Mom passed away, and to honor her, this is what I created, each leaf has a family member's name embroidered on it (I had to purchase a machine just for this), and there is even a dog applique at the base of the tree in memory of her favorite dog.

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM
If you start this does it always have to be about quilting?

LauraP
September 7th, 2016, 12:34 PM
saw this the other day-still pondering
When butterflies fall in love, do they get humans in their tummies?
What do you think?

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2016, 12:49 PM
What do you think?

That's really deep. lol I sure hope not. When I was a teen, a boyfriend and I went up the coast and there was the Monarch butterfly migration. It was in a forest right on a beach. They covered every inch of the trees.Talk about magical.

shirleyknot
September 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Most of mine come from books printed pre-1980, because those are the types of patterns I enjoy most. Just not attracted to many of the newer ones.

shirleyknot
September 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
What do you think?

I think they get caterpillars.....

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
If you start this does it always have to be about quilting?

No Lorie.... It doesn't have to be about quilting, Just think of it as question/ topic of the day or night. If you have ideas from the forum you mentioned feel free to use them here. The better variety of subjects.... The more interesting it will be.

amartin24
September 7th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I probably get most of my quilting project inspiration from Pinterest and quilting magazines. Going to quilt shows also adds to my "I want to make that" list!

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I get my inspiration from lots of places. The amaryllis quilt was inspired by the flowers my grandma always had in her yard. The tree wall hanging was inspired by a photo my dad to years ago. My current project for my niece has several sources of inspiration....a quilt I saw on a blog, her favorite bible verse and a photo of her.

I get lots of ideas by spending way too much time online reading blogs and looking at pinterest. :D

Sometimes I might not like the quilt pattern but the color combos will give me ideas!

So for me....I get ideas from gardens, pinterest, blogs, quilt magazines, photos.........

CraftyJnet
September 7th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I get ideas from all of you, from Jenny, online and books.

asta
September 7th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Like many of you my inspiration comes from others many times but the most unusual inspiration is my design wall. When I have time to "play" I will pick out one of those-I just got to have this pre-cut packs, throw a few on my favorite pieces on the wall, rearrange, maybe sew a 4 patch or 9 patch together and cut it up. The other day I made a 4 patch from a charm pack, cut a 2" strip out diagonally, flipped the corners sewed them back together and came up with a cute table runner.

KarenC
September 7th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Most of mine are from quilt shows are looking at modern quilts on Pinterest. I didn't think I liked modern quilts, but find myself gravitating that way. I enjoy the actual quilting process more than the piecing.

SuzyQue
September 7th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I generally start with a quilt block or top from M* or a book, then tweak it to match the person it is being made for or the fabric I have on hand. I tend to do a lot more baby quilts, wall hangings, or table runners between less large quilts, so I often have to figure out how to use the blocks and patterns I see in smaller projects. I get inspiration from Pinterest, tile patterns, color combinations in home decor or clothing, all kinds of books, memories, fabric choices, and things I see posted on this forum. I think my creativity is enhanced when I start with one idea and watch it mature and grow till the project is complete.

SuzyQue
September 7th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Oh, and on the butterfly thought posted in this thread.....when our daughter was not quite 3, I was hanging laundry outside and she was running around in the grass. I kept seeing things fluttering up in clouds as she ran. I stopped to investigate. One tree in our yard and all the grass surrounding it was literally covered in Monarch butterflies. They were so thick you could only see fluttering wings and color, not individual butterflies. I ran to get the camera. She was too young to remember this, but it is one of my favorite memories of her and our farm. By the next day, they had all moved on. I felt so blessed to be on their migration route and hoped for it every year. I have only this one experience to cherish.

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I generally start with a quilt block or top from M* or a book, then tweak it to match the person it is being made for or the fabric I have on hand. I tend to do a lot more baby quilts, wall hangings, or table runners between less large quilts, so I often have to figure out how to use the blocks and patterns I see in smaller projects. I get inspiration from Pinterest, tile patterns, color combinations in home decor or clothing, all kinds of books, memories, fabric choices, and things I see posted on this forum. I think my creativity is enhanced when I start with one idea and watch it mature and grow till the project is complete.

That's my favorite part of the whole quilting process.....staring with an idea and watching it mature and grow into the finished one a kind project.

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Oh, and on the butterfly thought posted in this thread.....when our daughter was not quite 3, I was hanging laundry outside and she was running around in the grass. I kept seeing things fluttering up in clouds as she ran. I stopped to investigate. One tree in our yard and all the grass surrounding it was literally covered in Monarch butterflies. They were so thick you could only see fluttering wings and color, not individual butterflies. I ran to get the camera. She was too young to remember this, but it is one of my favorite memories of her and our farm. By the next day, they had all moved on. I felt so blessed to be on their migration route and hoped for it every year. I have only this one experience to cherish.

What a great memory! Have you read The Butterfly's Daughter. It's a good book with the monarch migration as part of the story.

SewnByBee
September 7th, 2016, 03:11 PM
I love nature, so many beautiful things happening.

One of my favorite memories after building here. We put a basketball goal up, just out side out french doors to the patio......where I had a perfect view of the goal, where I could see a young, red cardinal on one side,and on the other side sat a young Blue - jay.......they met there for quite a while. Found myself giggling, like , hello guys, did no one tell you...... you don't like eachother.....lol.
I too felt privlagd, to witness the beauty of these little guys.
I love flowers birds, especially humming birds,....
I find myself drawn to these ......hopefully one day I'll make some too.

Carolnnc
September 7th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I find inspiration in quilting books, magazines, calendars and online. If I find a photo of a quilt I really like I make a copy and put it in a binder. So far I have three binders and probably not enough years left to make them all.

Mimi_Howard
September 7th, 2016, 05:01 PM
And kids can be inspiring.... like when I hear... hey mom, have I got a project for you, or open email with a link and the words "hey mom, think you make this?" :icon_happy:

So I definitely have one item to work on this weekend (for daughter) and waiting on a picture (from son) of his "project" in question!

alliek
September 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Most of my inspiration to do a quilt comes from looking at quilting magazines or websites. I have many quilt patterns that I've printed off the "net", I'll be 150 if I get to make them all. LOL. I've found though, that I have to write down in a book what I plan to do with fabric (either pre cuts or yardage) that I purchase because I forget!!!. I've got some lovely stash that I just know I had a quilt in mind that would showcase the print, however, that idea has left the station.

Bubby
September 7th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest but I also love to look at intricate tile floors and get inspiration from them. I love old buildings and they often have beautiful tile floors. I'm also inspired by nature and I'm thinking about making a quilt with bare tree branches as the last one Reggie quilts for me. I want it to be special and have her quilt her name and mine in it somewhere.

MaryUK
September 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM
This is a great thread - it really makes me think!! My inspiration comes from Jenny and this forum and Pinterest.
I keep promising myself that I will write down which fabric is to go with which pattern but I never do!!

WendyI
September 7th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I have gotten a lot of inspiration from Jenny...she is the one that started me on my quilting journey. But what I have really realized is that my inspiration comes from the human beings that I want to give things to. I derive so much more pleasure out of making something for someone who I know will enjoy it. The flip side of that is it's very disappointing when they don't appreciate or enjoy it. However, it makes me feel good during the process, and the giving part. Maybe that's why I have been so stalled lately...not many people in my life to give to these days.

MayinJerset
September 7th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks Pam for getting us started.

I've been quilting about 17 years and have made quilts with all sorts of blocks and patterns and finally realized I like quick and simple patterns that I can change the look of with fabrics in different styles and colors. I also am better at patchwork than quilting and go for eye appeal rather than lots of quilting.

I also like quilt challenges as they force me to look for inspiration in books, magazines and on line, and sometimes make myself think outside my box. I save tons of photos, articles and drawings before I really get to down to creating a design. I belonged to a small Book/Quilt group that really challenged me. Each month we read a new book, most were novels with varied themes, and once a year we would choose one book to be our inspiration for a quilt. Boy was that difficult. We were all pleasantly surprised because everyone found a different inspiration and all the quilts were quite different. We all would enter our quilts in our quilt show and they were displayed together in the hope they inspired others to think outside their box.

I also look at floors especially when we are on vacation - spend lots of time in bathroom stalls copying the floor designs. Well that's were the really good designs are.

TMP
September 7th, 2016, 06:38 PM
I have been quilting less than five years ( sewing since I was a child). I wish I had found this wonderful hobby years ago. It all started when my daughter and I took a class together she gave me for Mother's Day. Long story short I found MSQ. If I wasn't hook before I was then. I love Jenny's videos and I love the forum. All these talented people in one spot creating and talking about their work is my inspiration.

bakermom
September 7th, 2016, 08:13 PM
I get ideas everywhere. sometimes it's a tutorial from here(sometimes altered to fit what I have to work with). sometimes I sketch an idea out and play with it a bit. Then again, sometimes I just "wing it" as I go along

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks Pam for getting us started.

I've been quilting about 17 years and have made quilts with all sorts of blocks and patterns and finally realized I like quick and simple patterns that I can change the look of with fabrics in different styles and colors. I also am better at patchwork than quilting and go for eye appeal rather than lots of quilting.

I also like quilt challenges as they force me to look for inspiration in books, magazines and on line, and sometimes make myself think outside my box. I save tons of photos, articles and drawings before I really get to down to creating a design. I belonged to a small Book/Quilt group that really challenged me. Each month we read a new book, most were novels with varied themes, and once a year we would choose one book to be our inspiration for a quilt. Boy was that difficult. We were all pleasantly surprised because everyone found a different inspiration and all the quilts were quite different. We all would enter our quilts in our quilt show and they were displayed together in the hope they inspired others to think outside their box.

I also look at floors especially when we are on vacation - spend lots of time in bathroom stalls copying the floor designs. Well that's were the really good designs are.

May, I remember you mentioning the book/quilt challenge. That is such a great idea. What book was your inspiration for your quilt?

grammaterry
September 7th, 2016, 09:09 PM
You all at the forum are my inspiration

MayinJerset
September 7th, 2016, 09:34 PM
May, I remember you mentioning the book/quilt challenge. That is such a great idea. What book was your inspiration for your quilt?

Pam, I'm going to look through my Story Weaver's folder to find the books we used for inspiration. Now you've got me thinking that I should match them up with photos of the quilts. Another thing to add to my TO DO LIST.

SewnByBee
September 7th, 2016, 10:12 PM
You all at the forum are my inspiration

(((((((( "DITTO" ))))))))

I Love learning from everyone here. ......
Love the binder ideas , got mine started.....wip.

Book/quilt challenge. .....
do tell more please......

I do love thumbing through look books, and mags. I am a hands on person, so the tutorials are very helpful for me.
Also Found some free Crafsy classes too. They are very nice.

I love being able to download patterns onto this touch screan, so I can see the instructions better. It's awesome. ....lol.

Of course Jenny's tutorials. ...and all of you.

AuntieVic
September 7th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks for kick starting a fun thread.

Where do I find my creative ideas?
Everywhere I go I look at color, or designs or just how things stack on top of each other. Then of course there is the patterns in the books or magazines that will speak to me, but when I start to do one of them, they morph. Very few times have a completed a quilt from start to finish exactly how the pattern was written. Or in the colors they show it in. I always change it in some way when I get going. It is fun. My DH will always ask "how are you planning to change this one around" and we laugh about it.

When I am making a quilt, I think of it as a puzzle to put together. (And I love putting puzzles together.) That is probably why my first quilt did not scare me away. I started with a t-shirt quilt for my son, and the shirts were from sizes 12 months to 18 years old. No pattern could explain that to me, so I just started sewing things to fit everything together.

I am looking forward to reading everyone's else's inspiration ideas.
Thanks for the invite to join.

Granny Judy
September 8th, 2016, 12:21 AM
I remember My Gran cutting and sewing small pieces of fabric..and asking for colorful sheets for Christmas and birthdays...And I never could find a top sheet for any of her beds... they were all made into quilts.. She never showed any of us grand girls how to quilt.. that was Her Alone Time... (like her Herbal Tea.. laced with Irish whiskey)

Any how she was MY inspiration .. since I kept seeing all these traditional blocks hidden in her sewing basket... Yes I peeked. Thus I fell in love with the traditional blocks and quilting. Since she didn't show me how to do any of it..and My Mother gave up trying to get me interested in making "templates" since all I wanted to do was SEW. I decided to do it "MY WAY"... That decision wasn't fully realized until I was fully retired and in my early 60s.

I'm still going thru the Quilter's Cache doing some of their traditional blocks.. and working on Orphans really gets my brain neurons firing all over the place... I am overly enthused and just trying to keep those ideas going.. My best tool?? pen and paper --Inspiration notebook.

jjkaiser
September 8th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I don't know why but I seem to get a lot of inspiration from--bathrooms?! Yeah you read that right. It seems wherever I "go" I am staring at bathroom floors, which 99% of the time are some kind of tile flooring and I always see quilt patterns in them, ones I actually recognize or others that I find myself looking at a mosaic tile and mentally calculating how I could chop up a layer cake or something to replicate the design. Sometimes I am in the bathroom so long daydreaming about this that ppl have knocked on the door saying, "Hey is everything okay in there?" which of course jolts me back to reality. I have never actually MADE a quilt based strictly on a bathroom tile but I'm pretty sure I would be able to!

sewluvit
September 8th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Caroline T, I love your family tree! I am into genealogy too and I know your mom would be thrilled with your creation.

Lol Laura, you could be right about the butterflies.

Bouse
September 8th, 2016, 05:30 AM
I get my inspiration from lots of places but a lot of time it's from other people's work. I love the tutorials here but have never made a Jenny one yet. I also get a lot of idea from a facebook group I am a member of. Even though I haven't made that many quilts yet, this forum gives me the incentive to keep going and try new things too. I have taken part in several table runner swaps with groups from this site and have tried a new technique with most of them.