PDA

View Full Version : Almost the weekend - here's Thursday

Blondie
December 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Well I don't know about you but if I had to sit on this Santa's lap, I would be screaming too. Ever seen any creepy Santies? My kids never had their pix taken with any; don't think we ever went to the mall to see any. Hmmm. Got any funny Santa stories?

Good Morning Everyone! It is officially thursday here in my little corner of the world where I have been awake since 4 am, sipping coffee, morning chit chat with the big man, thinking about getting ready to get ready for work. Prayers shared this morning with hubs for our family and friends who are in need. Heaven, Em, and the other youngsters who need a healing touch; for the Moms and Dads, those among us who suffer with daily pain ~ physical & mental , those who have lost their loved ones ~ and oh, so many unspoken prayer requests.

Tonite we have a Christmas dinner to attend, probably won't be back in here until tomorrow morning -
have a splendid day, full of promise and SMILE!!

Bubby
December 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Good Morning!!

I've been up for hours and feel full of energy...maybe I can get my housework done today. Yesterday I baked cookies and other goodies all day. DH will take a big tray to work today for the guys he works with.

Still no sewing going on at my house....but I can sew all day tomorrow if my back can tolerate the chair. I'm wishing for a new chair from Santa this year.

My prayers are with all of my quilty sisters and their families. I'm sure we have some happy Moms and Grandmas here since the war has been halted and we are bringing our men and women back home. I'm praying they will all make it back home safely.

DH is just rolling out of the sack and it's time to get my morning started. Talk to you a little later....Barb

KiltedQuilter
December 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I do have a funny Santa story actually, glad you asked! :D

It was when my son was very little, we were in a craft centre near us(now closed), it was a BIG place(well, big for Scotland!) made of a huge old farm building they had so much room that at Christmas they had a grotto. Well, we were shopping and I was looking at some of the paint brushes and paints etc and whadayaknow Santa walked through, en route to his grotto. I pointed this amazing sight out to my son, who quick as a flash said(at the TOP of his voice, I should add!)
"Oh Mummy that's not the REAL Santa, he has a funny beard!"
The shame! I was quite red faced about it, but luckily for us there were not any other children in the store just then, phew!

I was AWOL for a couple of days as I have been busy busy with prep for the big day(the hubby got the decorations down from the spider infested attic, yay!) also I met up with an old school friend I have not seen in about 20 years yesterday, SO good to see her(I made 4choc brownies and tablet[a Scottish sweetie, like fudge but harder] in the morning and made a wee box up for her, hubby took some to work too).

Have an awesome day everyone....it's getting excitingly close now! (http://www.xmasclock.com/) :D

rebeccas-sewing
December 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
The sun is shining in London. That's always a pleasant surprise. LOL I'm told there will be lots of rain and maybe some snow. I don't know if London will experience much of it. We'll see. Well, I'm starting to pack for the long journey to the U.S. I just hope I can fit some clothes in my suitcase. It'll be a tight squeeze with all those quits I'm taking with me. I hope I don't go over the weight limit. I think it's rotten that only one suitcase can be taken with a $50 charge for each extra bag. Travelling overseas carrying one bag is a difficult task. Oh well, can't beat the system. Would rather not spend it on a heavy suitcase. Think how many charm packs I could buy with 50 bucks!

What a relief!!! The package of gifts to the German relatives was finally delivered. That was quite a scare when I checked the tracking to find there was a problem with the address. As it turns out the address on the package was correct. Don't know why there was a problem. I'm sure hoping they like those gifts.

I'm going to start a"basket of flowers"hand embroidery block as my "keep busy" task during travel. Someone suggested using those battery-operated moon lights under a piece of glass as a light table for tracing. Forget it!!! I bought a pack of them at Walmart on one of my visits home. Three of those lights together did absolutely nothing to light up the project. I ended up laying a lamp underneath the glass to get enough light. Any ideas for what to do with these useless moon lights?

Blondie, what time do you fall asleep at night? You must barely make it through the evening news. Gosh, I don't think you even make it to sunrise and you're out of bed drinkin' that cup o' joe. Where did that expression come from? It makes no sense. About all I could fit in my cup would be a couple of Joe's toes. Besides why would I want him bathing in my morning coffee? LOL

I sure don't like that Santa! He seems to be enjoying the little boy's screams of terror! My kids never wanted to visit Santa. I never insisted either. I could barely get a professional picture of my older daughter when she was little. Putting her on Santa's knee would not have gone well. She asked me at one point why I had more pictures of her sister. I told her it was because she'd scream bloody murder everytime I took her inside a photography studio. LOL

Enjoy the day, Folks!

MRoy
December 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Good morning...That's an evil looking Santa! No great Santa stories here...living in a very rural area, we didn't get a lot of opportunities to take son to see Santa when he was little.

My nephew (by marriage) is on his way home from Iraq and we're all so happy that he's almost home. I wish all the troops in Afghanistan could come home now too.

Happy Packing today Rebecca! Can you vacuum seal anything to make it take up less room?

rebeccas-sewing
December 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Myrna! I guess that would help but it's the weight that's primarily the issue. How exciting that your nephew is coming home. He must be so happy to know he's coming home especially during the holiday season. Have fun over the holidays, Myrna!

markzdemetrez
December 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Baby is scared.

Monique
December 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Good morning everyone.

Well I finally got the tree up, with tree topper and lights. The lights are all blue and it looks really nice at night. Will finish today in the daylight.

Some sewing needs to get done. Perhaps today.

Have a great day everyone.

Loonwatcher
December 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Good Morning All,

I have a table runner I need to wash before it gets wrapped and given away on Saturday to some dear friends. But I didn't want to run the whole washer for one item - it's a front loader and you can't adjust the level. So I made another table topper for myself (the fabric was originally purchased for me anyway) and some coasters to go with. Just have to finish up the coasters and get them all into the wash tonight. Pics to follow.

Then I better get wrapping. Also, this weekend we need to get the rest of our outside lights and the tree up. We're running late with that stuff. Better late than never I guess.

Prayers to all who need it; Em, Heather, and everyone else. Sandy, how's your bumps and bruises doing? Heal fast.

Better get back to work,

Sandy Navas
December 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Good morning from "Ole Bumpy and Bruisy". It is amazing how many aches and pains an old frame can handle, but I am up and around and functioning . . . somewhat. I still don't have any Christmas decorations up and I am wondering if I will at all. We do have my brother and sister coming for lunch on Monday and unless I get fired up on Sunday nothing is going to be done. I don't know if I am in a blue funk or if I'm feeling stressed (not really) or if I am totally in a "Bah, Humbug" mood . . . DD seems to think that I totally suffer from seasonal-affective disorder and she may be correct. We have had a very strange end of the fall season here. Yesterday morning it poured down rain with thunder and lightening - the middle of December? What's with that?

I am not even getting dressed today - heading to the sewing room and trying to finish up about four projects that have to be done. Next week I'll be making cookies with the granddaughters. Time is passing by too quickly.

I have such a long prayer list so I'll just let you know that you are among my requests to our good Lord - and I'm sending special warm wishes and lots of hugs along the way.

KiltedQuilter
December 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have the tree up, the twinkly lights on and the baubles. The garland is on the mantlepiece and the wreath on the door! :D

I'm feeling festive! But Blondie's Santa gives me the heebeegeebees every time I see him....*shudder :icon_scared:
Off to make a hot drink for the teenager due in any minute(he's at after school study class), it's SO cold outside!

cyndiofthevortex
December 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hi everybody,

Almost Merry Christmas to you all! I hope we get snow. It's bad enough living in cold New Hampshire for the winter. We should at least get a white Christmas.

Today am delivering the last of the tablerunners. Yesterday finished one wallhanging, dreaded binding all sewn on. One more wallhanging to finish today and deliver tonight, and then on to try to make three little lap quilts for my three absolutely beautiful GDs. I have one top made, one needs one or two long seams to finish the top and last night I picked out fabric for the third. Have you not been able to fall asleep for thoughts of fabrics and patterns? I should NOT play with fabric right before bed! I can't get up at four like some of you brave quilty warriors but I can stay awake until one in the morning itching to get up and sew.

More decorations go up today to make the house more Christmasy for guests we're having for dinner. Lots of snowmen, my favorite because I can keep them up all winter to chase the blues away. Can you tell I'm destined for Florida someday?

Cyndi

toggpine
December 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hello!
We won't bring in the tree until a few days before. It is a live one from the front yard and if it is inside for too long the shock will kill it.
My outside kitty snuck in and is demanding some attention. Very strange for her. I can't blame her for wanting to sneak in the warm house, but she usually just pokes around the kitchen and then wants right back out.
Em hasn't been too thrilled with Santa's until this year. They had a very nice one at the party at Dad's union hall. She was soo thrilled to get to tell him what she wanted. Last year she got to see the Fireman Santa as he came by the house. Every year they have a Santa Sleigh that they drive through the different neighborhoods. Seeing as we have several friends on the FD they make sure we are a stop. Em wasn't so sure about him, but took the candy cane and said "thanks". We'll see what her reaction is this year. I can't imagine making my kid sit in the lap of a santa that looked that creepy.
I got the gingerbread baked yesterday and now the sugar cookies are waiting to be done. I have to rustle up some teacher gifts for this afternoon and a birthday present for Saturday. I think we are the only ones that have said we are coming out of her whole kindergarten class. That is pretty sad.
Well, if I don't get off of here, I'll never get anything done!
Check back in with you later!
Cathy

Mrs.Sew&Sew
December 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hello all yes I am late again. But had a lot of things to do in the A.M. and even more in the P.M.
Finished up a Block of the month this morning before 7:00 so I can take it to Guild meeting tonight to for the ladies to see.
After that I went to the church to set up the Nativity and decorations for the Guild meeting/Christmas party tonight. I hope everyone can attend. After I get home tonight I have to finish packing so we can leave to go on our trip. We are attending a wedding of a family member and it is in the mountains so that man-o-mine said lets have a mini vacation. So just us and our little man will go to the mountains as part of our Christmas gift it will be fun!
Hope everyone is safe this holiday and has a Very Merry Christmas. I will not be on for quite a while. I will miss you I will pray for all of you. Hope you will do the same for me! ((((Hugs))))
;)

quilter.martha
December 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Its been a busy day here. Started off with wrapping gifts this morning. We're having our own Christmas Wednesday afternoon before we fly out, so I need to be ready. Still have a little more to go, but I needed to get to the mall to do some clothes shopping for me. I needed new dress black pants and black shoes to go with it (gotta be ready for Mom's funeral). I had instant success with the pants, but it took me a while to find a pair of shoes that I considered acceptable. But, all is bought and I got home and dove into some sewing. I'm sitting here now, ready to sew down the binding on a small snowman I'm finishing. Funny thing, it was supposed to be for a DF, and I was hard working on it when they called to come over with condolences. Sooo, I took the one I made for me off the wall, threw it in a christmas bag and had it ready to give to her then! So now this one is mine. Crazy. Binding quilts is not my favorite part of the making, but at least this one is only about 13" square.

rebeccas-sewing
December 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm sure your spill has had some affect on your mood, Sandy. That was no fun and the fact that you are suffering repercussions from the fall is bound to make you feel a bit blue. If you don't get decorations up it certainly won't be the end of the world. If you have a few easy things you can get to in the place where you store your holiday stuff just grab a few things to sit around where your guests will be spending most of their time during the visit. Who knows once you grab a few things it might cheer you up. I always dread getting them out of storage, but when I start pulling out those dear things I've collected all these years it always makes me happy. I love it when the house looks all festive. I spend quite a bit of time setting up my Dicken's Christmas village on top of the entertainment center in our family room. I love to put on a Christmas movie, light the fire and some candles, light up the houses and turn off the lights. What could be cozier?

rebeccas-sewing
December 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Have a wonderful time, Michelle. We'll miss you too and certainly keep you in our prayers.
Hello all yes I am late again. But had a lot of things to do in the A.M. and even more in the P.M.
Finished up a Block of the month this morning before 7:00 so I can take it to Guild meeting tonight to for the ladies to see.
After that I went to the church to set up the Nativity and decorations for the Guild meeting/Christmas party tonight. I hope everyone can attend. After I get home tonight I have to finish packing so we can leave to go on our trip. We are attending a wedding of a family member and it is in the mountains so that man-o-mine said lets have a mini vacation. So just us and our little man will go to the mountains as part of our Christmas gift it will be fun!
Hope everyone is safe this holiday and has a Very Merry Christmas. I will not be on for quite a while. I will miss you I will pray for all of you. Hope you will do the same for me! ((((Hugs))))
;)

sunnyQLDmum
December 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Well it's Friday morning here, a very rainy and unusually cool Friday morning. It's beginning to look a lot like we will see a big wet season again this year. Last year we were flooded in for 3 days (Christmas day, boxing day and the next day) because of cyclone Tasha crossing the coast north of us. Then a week later we were flooded in for 2 and 1/2 weeks after cyclone yasi. No one could get in to town and no one could get out. Also meant that no food or supplies could get through either. Once the highway reopened the first truck through was the beer truck, and everyone was there to wave and cheer. It was worse for everyone north of us who were in yasi's path.
I've just had my groceries delivered and now I have to get ready to go do my last minute shopping for Christmas. You know the presents that you didn't think you would have to buy like friends buying something for your kid so now you feel you have to buy for theirs. I was just going to give little candy canes but now I have to buy some presents. Oh well they are good kids and they deserve something nice. Too bad they are boys, if they were girls I would have just made them something!

CrazyMtnLady
December 15th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I can't wait for the weekend. My DH is going to Mammoth Springs, Ark. for a gun show tomorrow and won't be home until SUNDAY night!::D:icon_happy: I will have all weekend to quilt and clean. I get so much more done when he is not here. Plus he is taking the computer (we only have the one laptop) so I won't be able to sit on here at all. :( So I am really looking forward to tomorrow. I just have to iron him a couple shirts and pack his suitcase in the morning! Yippeeeeeeeeee!

quiltingtrish
December 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone! I dozed off for a nap in the chair after school today and dreamed that Odie was here sleeping on the couch. Guess I am getting excited! He flys out of California tomorrow night and stays overnight at Ft. Dix, New Jersey and then flys out of there to here Saturday morning. I sent him a text telling him I could just pick him up in New Jersey, but I don't think we will take me up on it. It's only 3 hours away.
Kids to see Santa. There is a really good looking one at a local mall and I've always taken my kids to him. He's been there for about 40 years. His line is always very long. When I was a kid, we went to a local hardware store and I still have my special Santa jingle bell pin from him. My sisters and I always KNEW that he was the REAL Santa and were so excited that he took the time to let us visit him.
Oh Sandy - I would just put out a few items like Rebecca said. I think you are doing quite a bit of Christmasy things with the grandchildren and now with aching from your fall, I'm sure everyone will understand if you don't put it all out and up. I also don't think Jesus will mind either. Remembering Him and spending time with your family is most important anyways.

I should be washing up Odie's sheets and blankets. How did it get to be 8:30 already? Guess that nap made time kind of zoom by. These kids at school wear me out.

Oh! Odie is thinking about me coming to get him in Newark! Guess I better google it and see how far it really is.
Got to go for now.
update - oh darn. It is Newark. Ft. Dix is easy to get to - just hit the turnpike. Newark is up through Allentown and almost into New York - that direction on a Friday night - well, let's just say it's not a good idea. Plus, he doesn't think he can get a refund for that part of his trip, so we'll just let it go and we'll see him Saturday morning.
I know how excited other moms and dads are to see their loved ones during the Season.

Hugs,

rebeccas-sewing
December 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Trish! Exciting time for you to have Odie home for the holidays! I'm getting excited about our journey to Georgia. I know I'm gonna cry when I see Joe's brother and sister when we arrive at the Atlanta Airport. I haven't seen them in over 3 years! We're going to have so much fun! I know you will, too, since your baby is almost home. Merry Christmas!

It's a very gloomy morning in London. We actually had a few snow flurries a little while ago.

By the way, one of Diana's quilts popped up at the top of the page. It caught my eye so I paid her photos a visit. When you have a minute take a look. Diana has made some beautiful quilts. I really enjoyed the tour.