PDA

View Full Version : The year of noise and workmen and it's going to get worse :-(

Carlie Wolf
September 4th, 2016, 08:54 AM
The good news is that they will finally start doing my roof on Monday ; bad news is that it will probably take three or four weeks to complete. Once that is done they will start the house next door to me. My landlord owns both.

That means the noise levels will go up. (There has been hammering and power drills all summer since everyone has needed new roofs since the April hail storm, some need new siding too). I'm glad it's finally getting done but I wish they hadn't said it will probably take three or four weeks to complete. Then they start on the house next store that my landlord also owns, they are very close together. So that is 8 weeks....two months of noise and workmen around. I wish they had done it last month when it was hot and the windows were shut with the a/c on.

Usually they start early in the morning, like 7AM and it goes on until dark. Carlie won't be able to be out in the back yard with the workmen around so I'll have to work around that and say good bye to sleeping in.....for 4 to 8 weeks :-(. I normally love the fall and enjoy having the windows open. I guess not this year.

I think I'll be glad when New Year comes. This has been an awful year between the three foot snow storm, the hail storm and the heat and humidity. From Jan through March the landlord was redoing a lot of things in the house next door so he was around almost constantly for 3 months. He's a nice man that's a lot of time to have the landlord around. Oh and then last month part of my hall ceiling fell down so that was four days of repairs in the house.

I'm tired! Make it stop! Please make it stop! (END OF RANT)

vbarb1014
September 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
When I was younger I worked for my dad and he was a roofing contractor. I was able to roof a house, trim and clean up the mess in two days. I dont have any idea why it would take so long to roof your house. The houses I roofed were a good size, and the wind blew constantly. I was a good roofer, but not that good. LOL

CarolynK
September 4th, 2016, 10:30 AM
That gives me a headache just thinking about it. Will be thinking of you as the construction progresses. Take care and breathe deeply. Soon it will be over and much better.

Carlie Wolf
September 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM
vbarb, I think it's because it's WV and everything seems to move slower. :-) So far there have been 10 houses in my neighborhood done. Two seemed to have workman there for 4 weeks (one more then that!), three took a week and one was done in 2 days although they did come back to do the gutters. The others did take about three weeks. One has been going on for more than 4 weeks and I suspect they'll be done by Spring LOL (not it's really not funny). The house behind me had guys from Fla working on the roof and then the siding. They picked up and left leaving half of the back and side of the house undone. Two guys came last week (different guys) and did finish it off. (I had visions of looking at ripped off siding for the rest of my life!) It's one of the reasons my landlord wanted to make sure he got local guys and I don't blame him. A lot of people have been unhappy with the work done by out of State companies they hired.

Carlie Wolf
September 4th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Carolyn, I'm already trying to think of things that need to be done in the different rooms of the house. I spend most of my time upstairs because that's where my office and sewing room is. (and where I take my daily beloved naps which are probably a goner for a long while).

So far when they do my office area roof I need to make and can the tomatoes I've frozen over the summer. I can also get into the extra living room and start packing and organizing the finished quilting stuff I have to take to the Fair on the 17th. Can probably also do the quilt machine stuff in the upstairs quilting room for part of it. Ok......that's maybe a weeks worth of stuff :-(

I need to get out today and cut all my herbs and pull out the small veggie garden right next to the house because I don't know what stuff is going to come off the roof when they remove the shingles (God knows what included in that).

My biggest fear is that the roofers in the area have not been good about shutting gates where they are roofing and people have dogs. They DO NOT want Carlie loose so I hope they put that in their brains right after number one which is do not fall off roof. If it does happen I'm sure they will NOT forget the second time but I just don't want to go through that.

Suzette
September 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Wow, three to four weeks to put on a roof? When we had ours done on our previous house several years ago it took two days and it was a pretty big roof. Sorry you have to put up with all the noise and upheaval for so long!

SuzyQue
September 4th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I hope you can find enough projects to keep you busy and to help block out the noise. Not looking forward to it, but we will have to replace siding, reroof and build a garage in the next year, too. Noisy, but necessary. Thank goodness my studio is in the finished basement.

pcbatiks
September 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM
When they are done I would make sure they run a rolling magnet over the yard around the house......to pick up dropped roofing nails & other nails. We had our roof redone after Hurricane Rita. I told them to check the yard but didn't trust that they had checked it very well. So I rented a rolling magnet and checked the yard myself. You wouldn't believe all the nails and a giant screwdriver I found in the grass!

KarenC
September 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I've heard of a long wait after a storm to be able to get someone credible and local. There is definitely something to be said for that. I had mine done earlier this year, and they were done in 1.5 days. Actually, I didn't even know they came because I left for work early and came home late (in the dark). I had to go ask my neighbors if the roofers had been here. Well, I hope the best for you. Maybe by some stroke of luck your home will be done quickly.

PatinValrico
September 4th, 2016, 01:52 PM
They are not getting paid by the hour, right? Just kidding!! We put a metal roof on our house a few years after we moved in and it was crazy for a while. Do you have an IPod that you can use? Best of luck. You will be snug as a bug this winter and think of the tax deduction for home improvements!!

Kgrammiecaz
September 4th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Three/four weeks is crazy. My family runs a home improvement business, mostly roofing, it would never take that long even if tearing off and putting down new plywood. Omg. Reroof should be about two days, new roof maybe three or four days.

And I agree it is noisy. My brothers did my reroof after the three hurricanes in 2004. Cannot even think straight. But it will be great when its done.

Hulamoon
September 4th, 2016, 02:48 PM
When they are done I would make sure they run a rolling magnet over the yard around the house......to pick up dropped roofing nails & other nails. We had our roof redone after Hurricane Rita. I told them to check the yard but didn't trust that they had checked it very well. So I rented a rolling magnet and checked the yard myself. You wouldn't believe all the nails and a giant screwdriver I found in the grass!

I never heard of one of those before. I can't imagine running a lawnmower over all that!

Vonnie
September 4th, 2016, 07:19 PM
We have a fairly large house and a 3 car garage and it took one day. They arrived at 6 am and stayed until about 6 pm. And there were about a dozen of them. The owner of the company said he would rather have a large work group and get it done quickly so that the occupants of the building can be disturbed as little as possible. Boy was it loud! Took about 2 hours to remove the old tiles. They moved a big dumpster next to the house and was just shoveling it off the roof into it.

My husband has a really good noise cancelling headphones. I put them on once and did not hear my DH talking to me. He had to tap me on the shoulder and made me jump! You might think about getting a set so you can still take your nap. But poor Carlie will be disturbed.

Carlie Wolf
September 5th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I was thinking of getting some ear plugs at least it might dull it down a bit. My lawnmower guy came Friday and said he wanted to get the lawn done because the guys were coming Labor Day (he apparently knows them). Now that you mention it I'll bet he wanted to beat the nail problem (he has a new lawnmower). I did get out yesterday and cleaned up the gardens and also brought my hanging herbs in. I woke up early because I don't know what time they are coming and I wanted to get Carlie out and organized. One of the guys has to work inside the house today too. Some of the hail was baseball size and had cracked a beam in the attic so he has to replace/repair that which Bob said would take maybe 4 hrs.

Bubby
September 5th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Taking that long to re-roof a house is absurd. Since you are a renter I know you have to put up with whatever roofer your Landlord chooses. I open my home to you to escape if it's going to drive you crazy.

Carlie Wolf
September 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
LOL thanks Buddy.

MayinJerset
September 5th, 2016, 09:46 AM
That's the way to avoid all the noise, fly to Bubby's for the duration of the repairs.

Ginny B
September 5th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Three to four weeks! Why would it take that long? Two to three days at the most is what it should take. Holy cow.

Carlie Wolf
September 5th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Am I allowed to leave tomorrow so the roofer can't get in the house to get into the attic. Like he was suppose to today?

Can I just say, "No...you were here yesterday....you must have been because I sat home all day so I could let you in....like you wanted. If you weren't coming I'm sure someone would have phoned and said Oh don't worry about staying home on the holiday because we're not coming afterall. "