PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

SuzyQue
September 3rd, 2016, 10:36 AM
Did anyone else feel the earthquake this morning? We were awakened about 7:10, by a rocking of our bed. We instantly knew what it was and it seemed to last quite awhile. I have never felt that sensation before, but it was on my bucket list.....weird, I know! We had no damage here. I have heard the epicenter was in Pawnee, OK, just 100 miles from Oklahoma City and it was registered as a 5.6. I guess reports came from Texas to Iowa. Who else felt this and where do you live?

CarolynK
September 3rd, 2016, 10:40 AM
We felt it here in SE Kansas. It shook the whole house and lasted several minutes before the rumbling stopped. That's my second time. It was kind of scary.

Carlie Wolf
September 3rd, 2016, 10:51 AM
I hate the thought of earthquakes. They really have to stop that fracking. It's really gotten out of hand :-( Be safe.

shermur
September 3rd, 2016, 10:51 AM
Felt here in Fort Smith, Arkansas (just slighty)

Hulamoon
September 3rd, 2016, 11:15 AM
I saw that this morning and thought that's a strange place to have an earthquake. Growing up in Calif I had gone through several. But Oklahoma?

Lori63
September 3rd, 2016, 11:23 AM
Yep, felt it in NE Kansas too! My sis felt it in NW Missouri too,

DeniseSm
September 3rd, 2016, 11:50 AM
We felt it here in Pottsboro Texas which is right on the Texas Oklahoma border. It lasted several seconds, felt like almost a minute long. The house was creaking and the chandeliers were swaying. It felt like boat swells and was very disorienting. Nothing was damaged.

JCY
September 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM
It's a helpless feeling when those rumbles & swaying start. The only time I felt an earthquake was back in the '60's when I lived in Vancouver, WA. The shaking of the bed & rattling of the windows woke us up. Another time, I was babysitting at someone's house when the earth started to sway. Very disconcerting. No damage, except the fraying of nerves.

K. McEuen
September 3rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
I saw that this morning and thought that's a strange place to have an earthquake. Growing up in Calif I had gone through several. But Oklahoma?

There is a fault line running up through Texas and Oklahoma, just like in California.

shirleyknot
September 3rd, 2016, 01:38 PM
I was already up. Good thing too, as I was there to catch my little flat screen TV when it bounced off. North central Arkansashere, near Batesville. My brother is in eastern Iowa, and felt it too.

PatinValrico
September 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
Oh my goodness!!:icon_surprised: I was not aware of that fault line. Good catch on the flat screen, Shirley; we could use you on the Devil Rays next season!! I am so glad to hear all survived with just a few frayed nerves. We are taking a break from picking up branches. I hope that everyone has a event-free, peaceful weekend with their friends and family.:icon_wave:

Hulamoon
September 3rd, 2016, 01:59 PM
There is a fault line running up through Texas and Oklahoma, just like in California.

I took a physical geography class and we studied faults and that one never came up. Interesting.

grandma nurse
September 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
I'm in south west Kansas and we felt it as well.

K. McEuen
September 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
I took a physical geography class and we studied faults and that one never came up. Interesting.

I probably shouldn't have said just like California, as the San Andreas is much larger and way more active. The strongest (or maybe since it is a fault I should say weakest) area of the fault from the TX/OK area is pretty close to Oklahoma City. My sister that lives outside of Dallas has experienced small earthquakes quite often in the past 3 or 4 years. Their frequency has been increasing in recent years because in all the time I lived in Texas we never felt any.

New Mexico has faults as well, along many of the mountain ranges and the extinct volcanoes, but other than one very faint one about 10 years ago I've not heard of any here for a very long time.

shirleyknot
September 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM

There's one running east of me here in Arkansas. Thats the one I blamed this morning before I red the news.

Hulamoon
September 3rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
I probably shouldn't have said just like California, as the San Andreas is much larger and way more active. The strongest (or maybe since it is a fault I should say weakest) area of the fault from the TX/OK area is pretty close to Oklahoma City. My sister that lives outside of Dallas has experienced small earthquakes quite often in the past 3 or 4 years. Their frequency has been increasing in recent years because in all the time I lived in Texas we never felt any.

New Mexico has faults as well, along many of the mountain ranges and the extinct volcanoes, but other than one very faint one about 10 years ago I've not heard of any here for a very long time.

I think because of where we live the teacher focused on the ring of fire. I really loved that class. Lot's of research, especially with NOAA.

mommadeb
September 3rd, 2016, 05:19 PM
Isn't it the New Madrid fault?

SuzyQue
September 3rd, 2016, 05:32 PM
I, too, immediately thought of the New Madrid fault line and our DD that lives near St. Louis. If we felt what we did, I feared her new home had fallen around her head! She slept through it, so it was definitely stronger on the western side of MO.

bubba
September 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
It's a helpless feeling when those rumbles & swaying start. The only time I felt an earthquake was back in the '60's when I lived in Vancouver, WA. The shaking of the bed & rattling of the windows woke us up. Another time, I was babysitting at someone's house when the earth started to sway. Very disconcerting. No damage, except the fraying of nerves.

I was only six or seven when that earthquake took place in Washington. I was getting ready for school and there was a hanging shelf in my bedroom that, as a small child, I had buried in things. The house started rocking and rolling and all I could think was how much trouble I would be in if that shelf fell off the wall!! I stayed there and held onto it thru the whole thing, which seemed to last forever!! I could hear my mom outside screaming for me to get out of the house, but I just stayed where I was. I don't think I'd do that again!

The last big earthquake we had here was about 17 years ago. I was at work at 911 and OMG!!! We had lights suspended by cables from the ceiling that were swinging back and forth as far as they could. We had a raised floor that rolled like you were out on a boat in the ocean....it came up and down about a foot and a half. The one gal I worked with had never been in an earthquake. The other one was quite bossy and yelling at everyone to get under their console, which was a health hazard in itself.

Now, believe it or not, I had thought thru what I would do if I was ever at work when an earthquake struck. We had huge radio towers at our console and we were right next to large windows. I had decided I would stay next to that tower as the building was designed to collapse in on itself in case of emergency. (this sounds comical now) I figured if the window wall caved in, the radio tower would break out the window so I would not be hit by the wall. If the wall on the other side of the atrium also caved in, I was far enough back to not be hit by it. And if the roof fell, I was right under the peak of it, so I would be good there as well.

The gal who had never been in an earthquake before sat and cried for about the next four hours. The other gal and I worked our butts off. Every school, medical building, large office building had to be checked by a deputy and reported back to us if there was visible damage or any casualties. That took most of the rest of the day. The phone lines were all jammed with people calling, but I was able to get thru to MM on our two way radios that were part of our phone at the time. He went and checked my mom, his mom, Tyler at daycare (who thought it was great fun!!) and my dad then came to my work to report back. MM was in his office in the upstairs of our century old house and he said it was an E ticket at Disneyland!! Miraculously, there was no damage to our house, but he did say he'd get out of it next time around!

Now is a good time for everyone to either go over their emergency plan or, if you don't have one, to make an emergency plan. Where will you meet up with family if something were to happen? Do you have supplies on hand to last thru several days? We do, and our kids all know that, but other than you, it is not common knowledge.

shirleyknot
September 3rd, 2016, 07:01 PM
I could still eat for a month if we lost all power. MIGHT run out of toilet paper.......

Hulamoon
September 3rd, 2016, 07:12 PM
I could still eat for a month if we lost all power. MIGHT run out of toilet paper.......
When I was young I called out to my mom 'can you bring me some toilet paper'. She said use your hand. Honestly I really thought she was kidding. She wasn't.

I thought you might appreciate that story. lol

shirleyknot
September 3rd, 2016, 07:25 PM
I do have plenty of grass and leaves........

bubba
September 3rd, 2016, 07:41 PM

We were cleaning in the basement today and I asked if the box of phone books were garbage......NO!!!! Emergency TP for when the big one hits!!

Sandy Navas
September 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
I knew a guy who was in the woods and grabbed poison ivy . . . not much fun if you've had your pants down.

shirleyknot
September 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
We were cleaning in the basement today and I asked if the box of phone books were garbage......NO!!!! Emergency TP for when the big one hits!!
I have a big box full of newspaper. And I know what poison ivy and sumac and poison oak look like. Poor guy...

GaGa
September 4th, 2016, 12:51 AM
I was in the bathroom and thought some of my post-surgery drugs were still in my system! Was really glad to hear it wasn't my body going berserk after all!!

Bjvarizona
September 4th, 2016, 02:34 AM
I lived in Alaska for thirty years so have felt quite a few earthquakes. Two kinds, the hard shocking ones , over before you have time to think, and the rolling ones that feel like they last forever. Luckily we didn't move there until 1970, after the last really bad one. They certainly get your attention!

Kat Smith
September 6th, 2016, 12:07 AM
There was an earthquake reported in northern Saskatchewan last night as well.

Bubby
September 6th, 2016, 12:09 AM
I felt it here in south central Missouri.

klgls
September 6th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I was visiting my sister in Mustang, OK (near OKC) and my sister from Texas was up visiting too. I was still in bed and thought one of them had jumped on the bed and then realized it was an earthquake. It was a really weird experience - my first. I thought it was kind of cool since no one got hurt. But one is enough. :)