• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

yesterdays update....

We had the appointment for the port insertion yesterday. Time was set at 1310, so to play it safe, I told him we were leaving at 1100. For anyone who lives in this area, even though it should only take us thirty minutes, it could quickly turn into a two hour nightmare!

Luck was on our side and we were there by 1145! The hospital did not call to give him any instruction, but I told him he was probably not supposed to eat and drink, even though they were not putting him out. As soon as we got there, he bought a bottle of apple juice and another of orange juice. Glugged them both down in no time flat.

We make it up to the proper ward after going to two wrong ones first. Once they took us back, first words from the nurses mouth was you have not eaten or drank anything this morning, right? Well, I had a couple slices of pound cake this morning and I just drank two bottles of juice about thirty minutes ago. Off she trots to see if they can still do the procedure. Thankfully, she came back and told us they could, but they would only be administering a local and he would be awake throughout the surgery.

We next met with the surgeon, who I found to be extremely handsome. After speaking with him and having things explained to us, I was sent up to his room to wait. I hopped up on his bed to read, and next thing I know I was being woke up by MM about two hours later! Thirty minutes later we were on the road.

They had an ice pack on the site and gave us two more for the road. Onto ugly rush hour traffic! As soon as we got in the car, we went and ate since one of us had not eaten that morning! He then wanted to stop by Fry's (a large electronics store) on the way home. Normally from where we were, it should have taken us about 15 or 20 minutes to get there. An hour later, after a stop at the shop that sells industrial sewing machines and bobbins for Walter, we made it there. He got what he 'needed' and we were on our way.

I have two choices for major freeways I could take to get us home. As I started the car, the radio said there was a 20 minute backup just before Tacoma, where we live, on I5, so I had him get out the lady in the phone to direct us on surface streets to get us to the other one without getting onto I405 which is ugly any time of the day.

We got on the freeway and into the carpool lanes, which miraculously have been extended several miles and made it home in about 40 minutes. That was only ten minutes longer than non rush hour time, so I thought we did good! I went to get his medications filled and he came inside to eat a sandwich so he'd be able to take them. Let's just say the drugs made him happy!

He was able to sleep all night and took another pill this morning for the pain. Would not take the suggestion of an ice pack. He is now napping before he goes back to work tonight.

I urged him to call the infusion clinic and he finally found out that chemo will start on his birthday, September 6. What a way to spend it! Here's hoping that he doesn't get sick!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!
  • Lori63
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2015

Re: yesterdays update....

Sounds like it wasn't a bad day considering. Hope MM continues to feel well.
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

I sure wish I lived closer to you. Prayers that he doesn't get sick and things go as smoothly as they can.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• K. McEuen
        Super Moderator
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

Ha, sounds like you needed that nap! Glad his procedure went well and that you didn't have any major traffic issues. I can't believe you have Fry's there, they have them in Texas and I love that store. We don't have them or anything like it here in NM.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• KarenC
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2015

Sounds like the day was overall successful. Let's all pray for good results next week.
          Karen
          Spring, TX

Comment

• Sandy Navas
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2010

There has to be a reason for all - as long as he was interested in taking time to visit Frys and didn't squawk because Walter needed some TLC and new accessories . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Grandma G
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2013

Glad everything went well, all things considered. Now both of you need to rest up for the next phase! BTW - sounds like Houston traffic. I definitely don't miss the daily 100 mile round trip to and from work in the crazy Houston traffic.
              Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

• seaturtle
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2015

Glad it was a relatively smooth day. I hope the next leg of the journey goes as smoothly.
                Cindy

Comment

• GaGa
                  The Guild President
                  • Apr 2014

So glad thing went fairly well for you all. Sometimes I wish I lived nearer a large city but maybe not after to your tale of traffic!! Online shopping (thank you M*) is great for us rural dwellers!!!
                  Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

• bubba
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by GaGa View Post
                    So glad thing went fairly well for you all. Sometimes I wish I lived nearer a large city but maybe not after to your tale of traffic!! Online shopping (thank you M*) is great for us rural dwellers!!!
                    Don't get me wrong, I don't live in a small city either....second largest in the state. However, I know it like the back of my hand and can avoid the freeway to get to where I need to go. I love going to Seattle and I don't let the traffic stop me, I just plan to get there and back between the big commutes. However, when I have a patient in my car, I just want to get him home as quickly and painlessly as possible which you can't do in traffic like that!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

• stationarymom
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2013

I'm glad to hear that both MMand you made it through the appt with no real trouble.I will keep you in my prayers and hope that You both get some rest before the next step in this process.
                      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• Sylvia H
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2014

What a day! At least the doctor was handsome - and you got to take a much needed nap! I live outside of Philadelphia, so I know about suburban and city traffic. Men! They are so stubborn (and non-compliant). I sincerely hope that all goes well with the rest of treatment.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• bubba
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stationarymom View Post
                          I'm glad to hear that both MMand you made it through the appt with no real trouble.I will keep you in my prayers and hope that You both get some rest before the next step in this process.
                          The other appointments are all three miles from home, so we'll have no problem with those!!
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

• stationarymom
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2013

That's good to know it would be a pain and maybe uncomfortable to drive any real distance after MM starts his chemo.
                            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• bubba
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2013

He went back to work tonight. He was back home about ten minutes later. Needed a towel to roll up to protect the port from being hit with the seat belt and an ice pack for after he got to work...the old fashioned kind w/the screw on cap.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X