PDA

View Full Version : Help. How do I creat a website

Kgrammiecaz
August 29th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Okay, so I have been just googling how to create my own website. WOW. Information overload. I am going to text a nephew, but while waiting on that response, thougt I would check in here.

What I want is to have my own website for things about me. Something my family and maybe a couple friends can read, look at etc. to see what is going on here in my life with me and my kids.

At this time I do not have an interest in a website that a hundreds would look at or that I would need a ton of ads and such.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 29th, 2016, 11:50 PM
What about starting a blog? You can add to it on a daily basis and let your friends know the way to view it.

Kgrammiecaz
August 30th, 2016, 12:54 AM
What about starting a blog? You can add to it on a daily basis and let your friends know the way to view it.

I am lost on that too, but I will google blog creating. Did not think about that. Thank you!

stationarymom
August 30th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Do you have a FaceBook page? People can see you there and you can limit who can see your page.

Kgrammiecaz
August 30th, 2016, 01:54 AM
Do you have a FaceBook page? People can see you there and you can limit who can see your page.

I have facebook, but do not spend a lot of time there. I just keep up a bit with what is going on with the family. But mostly I get that gossip from my older girls who keep in touch with their cousins or by talking to my sister

I think I want something similar to what Preeti has about her quilting and such and I want to add in a bit of other life going ons. A blog will probably be perfect.

Carlie Wolf
August 30th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Back in the late 90's till the mid 2000's I did websites using the old html codes and I loved doing that. I use to host a server for other peoples sites at the time too. Now everything seems to be blogs and word press. Frankly I found it more difficult. There is definitely a learning curve. I currently have a few sites on a large server and it only costs me about $12.50 a month. The service includes a lot of helpful programs you can download and one of them is for making websites. It includes tutorials (both written and video) so I'd think you could make a simple site using one of those programs. They usually also include a boiler plate format where you can just type in the info you want, save it and upload it to the server. I repeat though....there is a learning curve. :-)

Juliet Taylor
August 30th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I'm not really good with making websites, but I made my own blog using Blogspot and found it pretty easy.
Of course it's not fancy because so far I'm more interested in upload stuff weekly than anything else but hopefully I'll learn about making it prettier as well.
You should try it :)

Carlie Wolf
August 30th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I'm not really good with making websites, but I made my own blog using Blogspot and found it pretty easy.
Of course it's not fancy because so far I'm more interested in upload stuff weekly than anything else but hopefully I'll learn about making it prettier as well.
You should try it :)

I think you did a great job on it :-)

Bubby
August 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Preeti has a blog. Just do a google search on how to create a blog.

WendyI
August 30th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I have a great website tool that I use. If you decide to go that way instead of a blog, PM me and I can share it with you. It's really intuitive!

Kgrammiecaz
August 30th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Thank you all. I downloaded a couple of how to creat blogs books from amazon on my kindle. Going to read them. Wendy. After my reading might touch base with you as well.

Ginny B
August 30th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I use Wordpress for my blog. It's a little bit of a learning curve but not too hard. Good luck whichever way you go.

Angelia
August 30th, 2016, 10:50 PM
I use Blogspot. It is pretty easy to use. My address is below in my signature if you want to see an example.

Kgrammiecaz
August 30th, 2016, 11:32 PM
I use Blogspot. It is pretty easy to use. My address is below in my signature if you want to see an example.

Really liked tour set up. I like how you can have all the sites to gget to on the right side. Like the forums and other blogs. That would really help me too. My only concern is I read where they say these sites really do not belong to us and can be removed at anytime. Is there a way to archive the information?

I do know one thing. I will be buying a laptop/tblet from microsoft in the spring because having the ipad for these things just does not cut it for me.

WendyI
August 31st, 2016, 10:03 AM
Thank you all. I downloaded a couple of how to creat blogs books from amazon on my kindle. Going to read them. Wendy. After my reading might touch base with you as well.

The site I use is called websitebuilder.com

Have a look and let me know what you think. I'm happy to help if you need it. You get a free domain name as long as the site remains small, eventually, as it grows, you would have to purchase the domain name. And you're permitted more pages than other free website builders allow. I have researched a few and found this to be the best and simplest to use. They are based out of the UK.

Lightwriter
September 1st, 2016, 01:11 AM
Try Wix. Retry simple to create something with one of their templates. I have done it the other way nice upon a time; don't have it in me anymore.