PDA

View Full Version : Strange or curious laundry ??

Hulamoon
August 26th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I was washing my clothes with some soap that my dd left behind. I used it because it was such a huge box. It was Gain powder. Somehow it was having an effect on my dryer. They weren't drying on a full cycle and smelt 'not clean' oily almost. I finally went back to my Tide liquid and they came out boiling hot (need to dial that down) and clean.

Is that possible that soap is the culprit? I do clean the lint out. It's really weird.

K. McEuen
August 26th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Are you using a high efficiency machine and is the Gain the correct formula?

Hulamoon
August 27th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I got rid of my front loader and went back to a regular top loader. Both of these soaps are for regular machines. I might not ever find a reason. just glad I switched soaps. Still weird. lol

Bjvarizona
August 27th, 2016, 12:25 AM
Maybe now you know why she left li! LOL

snippet
August 27th, 2016, 12:41 AM
I don't know but when I was pregnant I could not stand Gain powder detergent. It make me so sick I had to get rid of it in my laundry room and couldn't go down the aisle where it is sold.

Maybe it has some fragrances that are still in the fabric, or fabric softeners that remain and leave a mess in your dryer?

Hulamoon
August 27th, 2016, 01:00 AM
Maybe now you know why she left li! LOL

No she didn't want to move more stuff. lol

I don't know but when I was pregnant I could not stand Gain powder detergent. It make me so sick I had to get rid of it in my laundry room and couldn't go down the aisle where it is sold.

Maybe it has some fragrances that are still in the fabric, or fabric softeners that remain and leave a mess in your dryer?

It has to be something in the powder. That made me think back to when her boyfriend and her were living here and it seemed the dryer was going 24/7. Now putting two and two together that has to be the reason, it wasn't drying. I was using my own soap and it dried in regular time.

Carlie Wolf
August 27th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Weird. I'd never have thought of the soap causing the clothes not to dry. I have had a problem sometimes with the clothes not seeming to rinse adequately regardless of how small the load compared to the wash cycle size. I've begun to go back and do the rinse a second time. But I have noticed that it seems to happen more with certain soaps then others. It's annoying because then my skin itches. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MayinJerset
August 27th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Weird, might be because the Gain isn't completely washed out. Wonder if another rinse would help?

Funny Snippet mentioned Gain's scent as yesterday while shopping DH picked up a pack of Irish Spring bath soap and I told him to put it back because its scent bothered me. I bought it when it first came out because it made the bathrooms smell so nice but then discovered it made my skin so dry that it itched and also that the scent became overpowering. Told DH to pick up some Zest as that's what I buy for the summer and buy Dove for the winter months.

Hulamoon
August 27th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Besides not drying it was the odor, like not washed. Can powdered soap go bad as in old?

I'm allergic to bar soaps and come out of the shower with sneezing attacks.Irish spring was one of them. I found body washes don't have the same effect.

MayinJerset
August 27th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Besides not drying it was the odor, like not washed. Can powdered soap go bad as in old?

I'm allergic to bar soaps and come out of the shower with sneezing attacks.Irish spring was one of them. I found body washes don't have the same effect.

I use body was too, like Dove.

DH has been doing the laundry so I made him keep the extra rinse on as he tried some awful laundry detergents, he also uses one pod for whatever size load. Don't want to discuss what happened when he washed and dried the bath room rugs with the bath towels.

Carlie Wolf
August 27th, 2016, 12:16 PM

There was an odor with mine too like it hadn't been washed thoroughly

Carlie Wolf
August 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Forgot to mention I also seem to have problems with some of the bar soaps when taking a shower. I always figured it was the perfume in them. Now I just use plain Ivory bars and that is working well for me.

bubba
August 27th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Tide is one laundry soap I will never use. If you wash tshirts that have designs on them, it slowly eats the designs off. I use a HE liquid soap I get at the appliance store. You only use a tablespoon per load. I think I paid about $60 for the box, but it has enough in there for about four years!! I've had it for two and it's not even half empty yet. It is designed for front loaders so you don't get that icky smell in the machine between washes.

JCY
August 27th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I've been using Ivory soap for eons. Grew up using it. However, there is a faint fragrance added to it now, which I don't like, so I no longer use it for bathing. I use it only for hand soap at the sink now. For bathing, I've switched to a bar soap I buy at my natural grocers. It's called Shea Butter. There is a slight fragrance to it, but I can tolerate it. It's made by One With Nature, in Jordan. For laundry detergent, for years I've used only Arm & Hammer dye & fragrance free. It was recommended by my dr. years ago when I was having some sensitive skin issues. Regarding washers, mine is a top loader. I want lots of water to thoroughly clean my laundry! I don't ever want a front loader.

mpattylou
August 27th, 2016, 11:20 PM
I don't know about laundry detergent....but I once read if your dryer seems like it is taking too long to dry clothes...you should remove the lint filter and wash it off. If the water won't go thru the screen and beads up, you have softener build up on it and air can't move thru the screen....making the dryer take longer to dry clothes. I don't use fabric softener, so I don't know if this is true. Can't stand scented laundry detergent at all. My clothes don't need to smell like anything. I also avoid going down the laundry detergent aisle at the store.

snippet
August 27th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Toss a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle and see if that will help the dryer problem.

toggpine
August 28th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Some of the "new" soaps are trying to make the smell last longer, and they are using fiber attractants to make the fragrance cling. Dryer sheets use a tallow based stuff infused with fragrance, my guess is there is something similar in the detergent that is coating the fibers and is keeping the damp trapped.
We wash off (with dish detergent) our dryer lint trap too. I think it helps with the air flow.
We have an HE top loader. We use the industrial soap from Costco. About 1/8 cup or two tablespoons of powder in the bottom before adding the clothes. That tub has lasted about a year and a half, and that included the two weeks of solid fabric washing of the inherited stash. We also add vinegar to the wash. It seems to cut the smell of Eric's work clothes.