PDA

View Full Version : something I learned today.....

bubba
August 26th, 2016, 11:13 PM
When you are outside visiting w/the neighbors (who have two little boys afoot) and a bee is buzzing around your face, DON'T EVER EVER EVER EVER swing at it with your gimpy arm. I'd have rather got stung by the bee! Oh, and I did turn my back and bent over as I spoke pirate under my breath, so they were spared that.

Now I'm on my couch w/an ice pack......

Simply Quilting
August 26th, 2016, 11:39 PM
:( Ouch!!! thanks for the advice. I hope that you stop hurting soon.

Sylvia H
August 27th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Should you be having an operation on said gimpy arm?

GaGa
August 27th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Pat, I responded to your previous arm question in your earlier post. You really need to get that arm checked out - and no more swatting bees!

Caroline T.
August 27th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Pat please have that shoulder checked. Google "frozen shoulder syndrom". If that's what you are experiencing, a simple cortisone shot could fix you up. If you wait, hoping it'll get better, it will only get worse, and could lead to surgery and painful physical therapy. Been there, done that, I waited & suffered for 2 years before I got full motion back.

bubba
August 27th, 2016, 01:23 AM
I googled myself last night. It is not frozen. Pretty positive it is a torn rotator cuff as I have everyone of the symptoms listed. Once we get thru this next week or two with MM, I promise I will see the doctor!!

Today was more xrays and doctor appointment. Monday is the oncologist. Tuesday is surgery up in Seattle to install his port. He should be starting chemo before the end of next week.

I know I have to take care of it, but right now, I have to take care of him first.

stationarymom
August 27th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Pat you need to take care of yourself,if you don't you will not be able to help MM when he really needs you.Squeeze yourself into the schedule.

Sylvia H
August 27th, 2016, 09:11 AM

I know I have to take care of it, but right now, I have to take care of him first.

In the meantime, if you can get a sling, use it for the arm with your bad shoulder. It will provide you with needed support of the torn muscle(s), but even more important, IMO, is that it gives others a visual clue to be careful around that arm - AKA - no "friendly" slaps on the shoulder.

songbird857
August 27th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Pat... I know that you are busy (and worried) about MM... but can you squeeze in an urgent visit with your MD?? Ya know, just to get the ball rolling.... hugs to you my dear :)

Grandma Nan
August 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Oh Pat. Really understandable that you just don't have the time right now and first things first. But at least promise that you will call and get an appointment set up so that once the two weeks are over you don't have to wait another two weeks to get in to see the doctor. You need to keep yourself healthy if you are going to be able to look after MM. No lectures, just concerned for your ongoing well being. Hugs.

Grandma G
August 27th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Pat, short of wrapping yourself in bubble wrap (my first thought...) Sylvia's advice is right on point. AND - maybe learning to speak "Pirateeze" in a foreign language might be helpful. Seriously, though, I know you have to wait for MM's medical situation to stabilize but in the mean time PLEASE take care of yourself. MM needs his Nurse Ratchet healthy, too.

MayinJerset
August 27th, 2016, 11:18 AM
OH, Just what you need to take your mind off all your big problems PAIN. Get that arm in a sling ASAP and make a doctor's appointment,. Don't worry that you and MM have a tight schedule the next few weeks because if it's anything like here he'll see you in 3-4 weeks.

bubba
August 27th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I've got a sling and do wear it when out in crowds. Like tonight, at a wedding we will be attending. One of my deputies is getting married and I have not seen any of them in two years, so I'm sure there will be lots of hugs!!

Thanks for all your concern. I will get into the doctor and will be calling him Tuesday morning, after the oncologist on Monday and before surgery Tuesday afternoon!

meliswan
August 27th, 2016, 11:18 PM
One day me and DH were out for a walk at the lake and a bee was buzzing around him. So he swatted at it but flung it straight at me and it stung me in the neck! I was not a happy camper when that happened. That's was 10 yrs ago and occasionally I still bring it up.

I do hope that your arm and MM heal quickly

ucarrieme
August 28th, 2016, 12:05 AM
If you get stung by a bee or wasp. put some apple cider vinegar on cotton ball and put it on the bee sting. It really works!

ucarrieme
August 28th, 2016, 12:10 AM
If you get stung by a bee or wasp. put some apple cider vinegar on cotton ball and put it on the bee sting. It really works!

I use apple cider vinegar for everything that ails me! My family makes fun of it. "My Fat Greek Wedding" It's my Windex!