PDA

View Full Version : Inquiring minds want to know...do you carry a purse?

geegeequilts
August 26th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Just got to thinking. With a lot of pouches, backpacks, & totes being made I wondered if you folks carried something when you leave the house. If so, how large or small is it?

Thanks
Gina:D

Carlie Wolf
August 26th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I usually carry the ones I make. It's about the size of the three totes in one tutorial although it varies a little depending on what blocks I do it in. Also I only use the one handle that goes side to side, not two.

SallyO'Sews
August 26th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I have always carried a purse. The one I have now was given to me by my Sis-in-Love for my b-day last summer. It's huge - never had such a big one, but am loving it. I can put everything in it, and what I like best is that the lining is a light color - so I can see all the stuff I've crammed in it! No more scrounging around a black lining searching for my black phone, my black calculator, my black checkbook, my black sunglasses case... :D

CraftyJnet
August 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM
My dd gave me a blue purse that I love. It is medium sized. I use it every day.

jjkaiser
August 26th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Yes always. I have a 31 bag I use all the time it is about 10" high and 8" wide, has nice long adjustable shoulder strap and 3 pockets with zippers. It fits my fat wallet with checkbook and my Kindle. I find out a good size. My 3 dd are in their 20's they carry around teeny tiny bags, don't see how they can fit a thing in them!

LauraP
August 26th, 2016, 03:32 PM
If I have to I will carry a purse. Usually I just let my husband carry everything. The one I am using right now I got on sale at Wallyworld for $3. It is big enough for my kindle, Ipad, notepad with pen, embroidering, phone and wallet. It is actually quite small but has lots of pockets.

Iris Girl
August 26th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Yes I have always carried a purse. I usually make my own from various patterns. They are medium sized. Wish I could downsize to a smaller size but can't. I don't like big ones as they are too heavy to carry and the bigger they are the more you stuff in them. Only real requirement is it has to fit my NCW, checkbook, keys and a small makeup case with assorted things but no makeup. Like tweezers, clippers, nail file, chapstick, mirror some tums and some tylenol.

nayzie
August 26th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Always carry a purse or backpack that I've made.

WendyI
August 26th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I have a Coach purse that is pretty much done and a Guess Wallet that I use. I am really bad for shoving paper in my purse so have to clean it at least once a month or it gets completely out of control. I would love to sew purses, but I'm just not that good. LOL! I'm really picky when it comes to purses. I would prefer not to carry one but I always have to.

K. McEuen
August 26th, 2016, 03:58 PM

My current carry

shirleyknot
August 26th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I carry the smallest cross-body I could find. It holds a checkbook, drivers license, and my keys. Sometimes even a little cash.

Iris Girl
August 26th, 2016, 04:33 PM

My current carry

Karen this is cute! Did you make it? What pattern is it? What size is it? Loving it!

rebeccas-sewing
August 26th, 2016, 04:41 PM
I prefer carrying a lightweight small purse with a shoulder strap across my body so my hands are free. If I have to carry anything larger I will usually take a backpack.

Altairss
August 26th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I always have one, I also have a bum pack I know I know but when I am hiking with the dogs or just out walking I like my hands free and my purse not bumping me and I need some place to carry ID, dog bags waterbowl etc. I do have a small cross body that I use as well. I don't have the skills yet to do a purse but have made some totes

tsladaritz
August 26th, 2016, 04:54 PM
ameribag healthy back bag - sz med to large. I always tend to go back to these. love the pockets and ease on my shoulder.
I have several other bags and wallets for quick trips, travel, etc. but these tend to be my favorite

tsladaritz
August 26th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Hey we use those when traveling also. ;-) I think a lot of people are going back to them because they free your hands and are more secure than a crossbody.

Cathy F
August 26th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I did until I injured my shoulder, I had a small tear in my rotator cuff and opted not to have any surgery for it. It took a year to heal on it's own and during that time I didn't use a purse. I just put my licence, credit card and money in my pocket. Now if I have to take a purse it is a small cross body bag.

MayinJerset
August 26th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Always liked a medium size shoulder bag. When my arthritis progressed I needed to use a cane so I started using a medium cross body purse, that way my left hand is free. Sometimes when I'm in the car I forget my purse is across my body and panic when I can't find my bigger purse, thinking I left it at home or at a store. Cross body purse holds money, credit cards, cell, keys, licence, lipstick & a comb. I keep a tote bag in the car with all my other essentials, never know when you need your make up or coupons,

Juliet Taylor
August 26th, 2016, 05:32 PM
I find very useful to carry a purse or a tote bag with me, usually I sew them so I can make them just the way I want them to be :)
I like a medium size so I can fit quite a lot of things without becoming too heavy :)

bubba
August 26th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Medium sized xbody w/my wallet inside. Yes, I made both of them myself.

Carolnnc
August 26th, 2016, 06:43 PM
ameribag healthy back bag - sz med to large. I always tend to go back to these. love the pockets and ease on my shoulder.
I have several other bags and wallets for quick trips, travel, etc. but these tend to be my favorite

I love my Ameribag and it's the only purse I own! I didn't carry a purse until my sis gifted me with an extra small Ameribag. (I used to wear cargo pants and stuff everything in the pockets.) My Ameribag is just large enough to carry a small wallet, cell phone, pen, paper, lip gloss and my asthma inhaler. It's a soft bag and you can put it across your body or carry it on your shoulder. Since I can't cram everything I own into it, I can carry it around without shoulder and neck pain.

mamo69
August 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Only if I have to! I hate purses. I want my hands free when I shop ---free of worry about a purse!. Carry cash, id, debit cards in a pocket business card holder and that goes in my back pocket.

K. McEuen
August 26th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Karen this is cute! Did you make it? What pattern is it? What size is it? Loving it!

I did, out of an old pair of my Rockies jeans. It is the Chloe Saddlebag pattern from RLR Creations on Craftsy, getting ready to re-launch a little later today with the new large size added. This is the large, 12" wide, 9" tall and 3.5" wide. Medium is 10 by 8 by 3 and small is 7.5 by 6.5 by 2.5". The pattern is on sale (http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/accessory/chloes-saddlebag--now-in-3-sizes---/142536) for approximately 48 hours

Oh, and if you want to make a wallet/wristlet to match the pattern bundle for the Chloe and Clara (http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/accessory/chloe--clara-bundle-set/220638?fresh=true&NAVIGATION_PAGE_CONTEXT_ATTR=PATTERN) is on sale too!

KarenC
August 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM
I have a Coach purse that yes I carry everyday. I'd call it medium size. Large enough for keys (office and home), cash, credit cards, batteries for my hearing aids, ink pen, etc.

Hulamoon
August 26th, 2016, 07:21 PM
No, just a small silk pouch with a little rope to use like a cross body bag. I only carry my ID and debit card. I have totes in the car for groceries. I did carry one when my girls were little, but I needed more stuff then.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 26th, 2016, 07:34 PM
I carry some iteration of the NCW with a cross body strap. Here's my summer version!

Whoops! Upside down!

grandma nurse
August 26th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I carry a Bow Tuck purse in the smaller size. Since I started making these and using them I find that I can't use any other style. Love all the pockets.

buckeyequilter
August 26th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I always carry a purse...I have a lot of stuff I need to tote around with me. I hardly ever take any of my stuff out of my purse but I have it with me.

TMP
August 26th, 2016, 08:52 PM
My DH likes to give me bags for presents. I think its an easy gift and he knows they always makes me happy. I tend to carry the same one all the time loaded down with junk I think I have to have with me. I keep little treats in it also to give to my grandbabies and character band aides for them. Why did kids love band aides so much?

JCY
August 26th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I always carry a purse -- one large enough to hold all the stuff I feel I need with me. Mine has 4 zippered sections & holds a lot. A more interesting question might be: What do you carry in your purse or bag? I remember some of those TV shows where the host would ask the audience if they had such & such an item in their purses. That got pretty interesting & funny at times. Maybe even embarrassing for some.

Lightwriter
August 27th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I carry a purse as it is essential for not only my wallet, but for my reading glasses. I always either tuck then under my arm or carry them cross body due to shoulder problems. I am seriously trying to downsize so I won't have so much weight I do have one purse that will fit my IPad if I am traveling.

Iris Girl
August 27th, 2016, 05:20 AM
I did, out of an old pair of my Rockies jeans. It is the Chloe Saddlebag pattern from RLR Creations on Craftsy, getting ready to re-launch a little later today with the new large size added. This is the large, 12" wide, 9" tall and 3.5" wide. Medium is 10 by 8 by 3 and small is 7.5 by 6.5 by 2.5". The pattern is on sale (http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/accessory/chloes-saddlebag--now-in-3-sizes---/142536) for approximately 48 hours

Oh, and if you want to make a wallet/wristlet to match the pattern bundle for the Chloe and Clara (http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/accessory/chloe--clara-bundle-set/220638?fresh=true&NAVIGATION_PAGE_CONTEXT_ATTR=PATTERN) is on sale too!

Thank you Karen! I thought it looked familiar I have that pattern just have not gotten around to making it yet. Now I will and it is the perfect size! I love the twist lock you added instead of the magnetic snap.

snippet
August 27th, 2016, 05:40 AM

I love my Ameribag and it's the only purse I own! I didn't carry a purse until my sis gifted me with an extra small Ameribag. (I used to wear cargo pants and stuff everything in the pockets.) My Ameribag is just large enough to carry a small wallet, cell phone, pen, paper, lip gloss and my asthma inhaler. It's a soft bag and you can put it across your body or carry it on your shoulder. Since I can't cram everything I own into it, I can carry it around without shoulder and neck pain.
I have two Ameribags and love them. They have pockets galore and the strap adjusts to crossbody or over the shoulder. It's very useful and like the name suggests - healthy for your aching back.

Iris Girl
August 27th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Karen did you use headliner or fleece in your Chloe?

K. McEuen
August 27th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Karen did you use headliner or fleece in your Chloe?

It uses 808 and fusible fleece on the outer and sf101 on the lining

BTW, redownload the pattern to get the new upgrade and the large size

bubba
August 27th, 2016, 03:25 PM
When I did my Chloe, I used the Pellon foam. I like the body it gives.

Iris Girl
August 27th, 2016, 05:21 PM
thank you ladies I need to get to Joann's and get some more headliner fabric. I just love she added a size!