PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night Owl - How are your eyes?

Judy, USMC
August 26th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Optometry appointment today - dilated eyes are no fun to have in the Carolina sun. Hate those little plastic thingies they give you. When you wear them people give you the weirdest looks. And the drops give me a headache.

Bad news is not seeing as well as I used to. The problem is with distance ... can't read billboards too well. So new glasses are in order.

Good news is my near vision is intact - no bifocals needed. Readers for very small print only. That means I can still sew without glasses. Hooray!

So I'm curious - do you take your glasses off or put them on to sew?

bubba
August 26th, 2016, 03:23 AM
I wear my glasses all the time, except for sleeping! When I get my eyes dilated, I have to have them put steroid drops in my eyes afterwards because they bother me. Going to a movie afterwards is always a great plan because it's nice and dark!

I never had to have my eyes dilated till about ten years ago because something in my eyes never developed.....until I started wearing bifocals (with no line!!). I can't say I enjoy it much, because even with the steroid drops, they stay dilated about half a day.

toggpine
August 26th, 2016, 03:31 AM
Hmm. I should put them on. I think I need a new prescription myself. It's been a number of years since I went, and they were only for close work. Now things in the mid distance are a bit fuzzy.

I have had a few extra kids in the house today. We are having a last camp out for the summer. At least the Most Bummer Summer will go out on a high note. We added two boys (brothers) to the mix and things were good until the second addition of two boys and a girl. Then all the wheels fell off and we headed straight for crazy-town.
Thankfully, the second act could only stay for a while and I am not battling them to go to sleep too. Em sleeps with a short string of LED twinkle lights in her room as a night light, and my guess is the boys don't have a night light. So the lights Dad put up in the tent are too bright for the youngest boy to sleep and no lights was too dark for Em. The older boy was trying to make his little brother understand it wasn't all about what he wanted without making Em feel silly.
Thankfully I had a battery operated string of blue LED butterflies. Enough light to not be scary, not so much they make your eyelids orange when you close your eyes. Problem solved.
By the way, those strings of battery operated lights at the dollar store are fabulous for bathroom night lights when you travel! They usually have them in the spring and at Christmas. The blue ones tend to work a bit like a black light and make neon things glow.
All seems quiet from the tent in the back yard!
This owl,is off to tuck into her own nest!

shawnan
August 26th, 2016, 04:05 AM
I don't want to talk about eyes. I get injections in my eyes every six weeks, and it was just on Tuesday this week. I can still sew usually without my glasses. Little by little my eyes get better.

I used to let my daughter and a friend sleep in the tent outside. Thankfully we had a nearby street light to act as a night light.

Tomorrow I need to start sewing on a clear vinyl bag to send as a gift, and maybe a couple of extras to have on hand.

We went earlier this week to get an ink cartridge for our printer. The guy said they had a couple of them left, but they can't get them any more. We figured the printer is about 9 years old, so we got a new one. The ink cartridge we were going to get was about half the cost of the printer, and it scans also and prints wirelessly, (no more moving the cable around) apparently even remotely. Mr-Man is very pleased with it.

I took two long naps today, so now I'm wide awake.

Nancy

Iris Girl
August 26th, 2016, 05:27 AM
I sew with my computer glasses now. Until about 2 years ago I was still able to sew with no glasses. Distance is my prob and the inbetween computer/sewing distance. Close up no glasses. Having 2 separate glasses is a pain. I have the computer/sewing glasses on a chain. It helps to remind me not to be wearing them when I head to work...Lol would never see much on the road wearing those.

snippet
August 26th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I wear glasses everywhere, and sewing is no exception. Sometimes when I'm doing handwork I will take off my glasses to thread a needle or get a stitch just right, but I put them back on quickly. I can't see a thing without them. I've been this way since I was about 8 years old.

I have been embroidering some nursery rhyme quilt blocks when my embroidery machine started acting up. It's causing thread nests despite any cleaning I'm doing. I can't figure out how to fix it so I took it in to the dealer, hoping it will be a quick turn around. Nope. 30 days is the estimate. yikes. Good thing I don't have anything that needs to be done ASAP.

I then turned to working on my favors for the retreat. Got two samples made, showed them to my quilt friends, and we decided on one. They also wanted to help make them! I was planning on doing it at home but since we are in between projects in our little quilt group, it made sense to do it together. And it was fun. Two evenings and we got 74 made. We only needed to make 50 but we wanted some for our own use.

So that's a relief that it is done. I can no focus on packing for my cruise next week.

KarenC
August 26th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I wear my glasses all the time. Unfortunately, once I hit 40, needed to break down and get bifocals. My kids asked me to please not get the Ben Franklin, (with the lines). Only way I see ever since.
Snippett, have fun on your cruise.

quiltingaway
August 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I have gone from needing glasses for everything to not needing them for reading. I do wear my glasses for sewing. I have a pair of computer glasses that I just leave at work, I really should see how they work for sewing. It was just too hard keeping track of two pairs so the computer ones stay at the office. I really don't need them at home.

WendyI
August 26th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Well it's now the middle of the morning and I'm bored at work so guess I'll chirp in! lol

I don't need glasses except for reading really tiny print or when my eyes are fatigued for reading. I had laser eye surgery done about 5 years ago (I was 45) and it was the best thing I ever did! I never had a strong prescription anyway but enough that I couldn't see anything at distance. Once I had them fixed I then had to adjust to having normally aged eyes...so can't see well close up. Still not too bad but enough that I to the thing where I hold things at a distance to read them, arms outstretched. LOL!

I highly recommend it for those who qualify. It was expensive when I had it done...but it's so much more affordable now.

LauraP
August 26th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I put my glasses on when I get out of bed and take them off when I go to bed. Last week I even forgot and wore them in the shower. At least I got my toes clean!
The only exception is when I am reading or hand sewing/frogging. Then the glasses make it worse. Went to the eye doc recently and she said I really don't need them for close up, just middle and far distance. But it's easier to just wear them most of the time.

Carolnnc
August 26th, 2016, 01:55 PM
My eye doctor offers a digital imaging technology for $30 extra instead of the dilation drops. If you hate the drops you can probably find a doctor in your area who does the digital retina imaging. I read up on the digital imaging and found it gives the doctor a better view of your eye and can help find things the drops can't. It also gives them an image to compare each year for eye changes. I have a calcium dot on my eye so they use the images as a baseline to check to see if it's getting bigger. Been wearing glasses since I was five and can't see a thing without them. Every time I go to the eye doc he explains that I am not a candidate for contacts.