PDA

View Full Version : Wedneday morning hellos

Blondie
December 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Howdy Folksies!

Gosh, I have missed y'all. I absolutely do not like being away from all my BFF's. The past week has been really busy and chaotic for me; of course, you probably realize by now that I thrive on chaos. Work has been busy enough; it is life that has been demanding. Mom needed me to be with her and stay with her several nights. I finally came home last night. I never sleep that good at Mom's. Dr's appts went well, so got that out of the way.

I reckon I have told y'all that I am a bit on the bossy side. At least that's what my dear Daddy used to say when I was taking care of him. Yep. So, I am the natural choice to delegate who does what. Last weekend all these men from church showed up at Mom's to help us get wood cut up and stacked for her. This is the second time this season they have been. Lots of work there. So, while Mom was fussing around making coffee for the men and stacking cookies on a big tray, I was showing the fellas where to stack and which trees need to be down. They did a great job and even though they worked from 8 in the morning until about 3 in the afternoon, there is still more to do. She has enough to keep her warm for quite a while. No disrespect for elderly seniors intended but she keeps that house as warm as the 2 level of HELLO ! Don't laugh. You try sleeping in a sauna. Oy. I know oldsters get chilly quicker than a spring chick like me.

Big hugs and blessings to each of you!

rebeccas-sewing
December 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Good morning, Blondie! We missed you. Did you have your birthday yet? Mine is coming around pretty quickly! I can't believe I'm turning 60! Yikes! What is LL giving you for birthday/Christmas this year? I'm not expecting anything from Joe. Flying 4 of us to Georgia is a hefty price tag. Yes, the girls are flying in from California. Even my daugther's boyfriend is joining us. So nice to have a boyfriend who earns a living and one with whom Joe and I can actually have a conversation. HAHAHA

How great the men from church were willing to devote so much labor for your mom's benefit. I guess when we get old and slow down the circulation doesn't work so well anymore. I know that as long as I keep busy I don't get cold but the minute I sit down I'm reaching for a blanket, sweater, etc. Mom and Diana use their gas fireplace a lot in winter to keep Mom warm when she's sitting in her chair. I gave her an electric lap blanket years ago. That definitely helps, too.

Two more days and then I'm headed for Victoria Station to catch the underground for an hour ride to Heathrow Int'l. airport for that dreaded 24 hour door-to-door trip to the good ol' US of A. Actually, it'll probably be even longer since my mother-in-law lives about 3 1/2 hours from the Atlanta airport. I'm going to try doing some embroidery to keep busy. Don't know how that'll go since it's always elbow to elbow when seated on an airplane. Oh to be able to fly first-class. In your dreams Rebecca!!! I've got a book to read. I don't know if it'll be any good. I certainly hope so.

Well, the coffee cup is empty so I guess I'd better get busy! Oh, gosh! Just one more cup, please. Ok! Decaf it is. Enjoy the day friend. Most of your USA quilting buddies are probably beginning to rise from their warm and cozy nests. Time to get busy on those quilts! Christmas is surely right around the corner.

Blondie
December 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Good Morning Rebecca
How wonderful to have the kids join you for Christmas! I call that the bestest Christmas/birthday giftie for you! My birthday is the 18th and yes, we are twins separated by a week - I also celebrate the 6th decade of my life as well. i have no clue what the Luscious man intends to do for me this year. We generally don't do much for each other; I consider him the gift of my lifetime. Like I said recently, just looking out at his Christmas lights in the early dark morning reminds me what a very special joy is he for me.
I reckon the best gift for me this year will be no one ill or in the hospital. Last year on my birthday we were at the funeral parlor for Daddy's wake. Tomorrow is the horrid day for Mom, one year mark. Hopefully, she will soon begin her journey out of such grieving. I never expected her to be so overwhelmed by his death. Still, he is dancing on those streets of gold that are clear as glass - what a wonderful thought and comfort.
Yep, when I am sitting (like now) I have my lap quilt over me and my chi chi, Gracie as another lap warmer. But honestly, Rebecca, when you open her front door, it is like a heat wave. Oy. I can hardly breathe! LOL. She even walks around in short sleeves with that kind of heat. Larry cleaned her chimney out over the weekend as well.
I am so happy for you to have your chicks coming. Hurray for a BF that works!!!!!!!!!!!

quilter.martha
December 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Rebecca, have a safe flight back to the USA. I'm right with you in how crowded those flights can be. I, too, am planning some embroidery to take along for our flight to San Diego, as well as some knitting. My poor wrist will only allow me to knit for around an hour, so I need something else to keep me occupied. I don't sleep on flights well (unlike my DH who can sleep anywhere).

My family is doing really well. Dad is really holding up amazingly. I know its those prayers. THANK YOU ALL! Mom's funeral will be a time of celebration, although saying goodbye will be hard, I know. And, again, amazingly, I've finally started looking forward to this trip. That's God again!

Today I feel really free. I've finished all my teaching, gearing up for tax season. I won't need to even think about taxes until after new years now. Wow! I feel like my life has been given back to me. I may go get my hair cut after my volunteer time at church, and then hopefully will get some sewing done.

MRoy
December 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Good morning...It looks like several of us are having birthdays in the next couple of weeks. Happy Early Birthday, Blondie and Rebecca. Mine is the 19th, but as a child it was celebrated on the 18th with my dad. His birthday was the 17th so we split the difference.

Rebecca and Martha, I hope you have uneventful flights. Martha, you continue to be in my thoughts. Blondie, I hope your wish for no illnesses during the holiday comes true. It seems in my family there has often been illness during Christmas. This year it's my older sister. She battled cancer for years and is terminally ill. She's declining more quickly now and I'm praying that she makes it through the holiday. But she's not in pain and there's some comfort in that.

I hope everyone has a peaceful day.

Beakkmom
December 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Good Morning ladies, Blondie, it is good to have you back again! Rebecca and Martha safe travels as you gather with you loved ones this Blessed Christmas Season! I am going to work today ~ we are having rain in Iowa today, rather than snow! I'm sure the little ones are distressed that we may not have a white Christmas, but for travelers it will be much safer. After I get some-what caught up at work, I'll head back to the nursing home to be with Mom as she continues to travel the road 'home'.

Blessings!

Lin

Monique
December 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Blondie I missed you. I know about the heat, my MIL is the same way. Almost swimsuit weather, LOL!!

Rebecca an Martha, get to your destinations safely.

Rebecca, how wonderful a Christmas you will have with all there with you. Warms the heart.

Things to do, places to go.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

kziggy
December 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Good Morning All!!! Blondie I feel your pain on being gone. I have not been able to post for the last few days. I have been helping my mom and dad they are redoing a whole room in their house I am talking ripped out to the studs. We had a lot to do with helping haul carpet and what not. My wonderful mother thinks she can have it done by xmas... HA HA... but heres hoping at the same time. I have almost all of my christmas shopping done I just have to by for my parents and the inlaws GIFT CARDS here we come. I know that sounds like a bad gift but we get them cards for places they have not been out to eat. My house is still hanging on to this cold my DD, myslef still have it. Now to top it off my sister and my mo have it. UGH...

meemeecyn
December 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Good morning, Friends. Nice to hear from you, Blondie. You are such a good daughter. Your Daddy is smiling down at you, for sure. That first anniversary is a hard one. I'll be thinking about you and your Mom.

Rebecca, good trip wishes for you! Such a long flight. It is good you are able to bring your stitching. Will they actually let you bring a pair of scissors on board???

Martha, thoughts of you remain. Your trip will be a celebration of your wonderful Mother's life. It is sad she is gone, but keeping those memories alive will keep her with you, always...... Will be thinking of you, too.

Have a great day everyone as you continue to get everything done. May the spirit of the season reside in your heart, no matter what!

Cynthia

Mrs.Sew&Sew
December 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Morning All!
Happy Birthday to those that are having one!!
Missed you Blondie!
Rebecca and Martha hope both your flights go well! Martha I am still praying for you and the family.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!
I have many things to do today tomorrow is the big day! Guild/Christmas party! (I have enlisted that man-o-mine to help me today he he he) :lol:
Have a great day!

Sandy Navas
December 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm here reading about everything people have planned, plane rides, packing up suitcases, trips to the doctor, painting, hauling, decorating . . . whew, I'm just tired out from reading about it. This lazy old lady is all aches and pains today. When will I learn? I'm not planning a pity party, but I did a number on myself last night. Going to take DGD#2 home after an afternoon of frustrating (!!#@!#$) sewing (more later) and missed the last step on their sidewalk. Down I went - WHOP! Well, try moving a couple hundred pounds off the ground when this hunk is 1) injured, and 2) can't do much to help, and 3) can't get onto her knees or push up with her hands (which sustained injuries). Al confessed later (thankfully he was there!!) that he almost lost his balance and came down on top of me trying to right me. So, bottom line? Right knee is swollen, bruised and stiff. Right hand is abraded, bruised and sore when I turn it a certain way. Al seems to think I need to go under the lights and have all over x-rays but I'm confident that nothing is broken. I'm just clumsy and need to watch where I'm going!! I know he's concerned because of my knee replacement and how much life that replacement took from me. Oh, how can I reassure him that it's not going to have to be redone?

Sierra and I attempted (finally got it finished after much frustration) embroidering a bookworm on a book cover she's making for one of her sisters for Christmas. She wanted something durable so I suggested denim - which was a great choice but the denim and combination of threads, needles (many change), etc., did not like each other well at all. Finally finished and we both went WHEW we'll save the rest for later. Meanwhile she had the giggles and was entertaining me as well.

I don't know if I'm going to get everything done that we need to do before Christmas or not. I feel like I'm running around in the little wheel with the hamsters. So, I'm off to accomplish something - even if it is only to get dressed.

Oh, before I forget, I heard from our dear little Kizzie this morning. They are doing well but are totally overwhelmed with all the paperwork and plans for going back home sometime in January. She said that she'd try to get on to say hi when she could. They are off to pick up her LAQ today and to visit Niagara Falls. Sure hope they have a pleasant trip.

Prayers and hugs where needed. Oh, Blondie it's good to see you back for a while. Keep your eye out for the mail lady tomorrow.

rebeccas-sewing
December 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Sandy, my goodness! Bad enough to fall anytime of the year, but Christmas?!? Good grief, woman. At least you have an excuse if you don't get everything done in time for the holidays. Always have to look at the bright side of things, right?

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Martha! Losing a loved-one is so difficult but along with the grief I think there comes a time when there is a sense of relief that a very ill loved one is at rest. You will have very mixed emotions once you reach home. Enjoy the time with your family and enjoy the celebration of your mother's life and her return to the arms of her maker. Bless you, dear girl.

Okay birthday girls! Celebrate. We've made it another year. I hope someone buys me a birthday cake! I loooooovvvveeee birthday cake! Maybe I should leave some hints with my sister-in-law and my older daughter. The two of them love to bake. It'll give them an excuse to put their skills to work. What do you think? Chocolate upon chocolate? Coconut? Lemon? Spice? Vanilla? Okay! That sounds good!!!!

rebeccas-sewing
December 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Cynthia - I learned the hard way. Always carry a pair of kid's scissors when traveling. Once I had a really nice pair of scissors go bye bye at an airport. I was not a happy camper!!! Won't ever make that mistake again. The kid's scissors are round on the ends. Try stabbing someone with those. How embarassing!

Thanks for your well wishes everyone! Hopefully I'll get on here to wish you all a Merry Christmas when the day arrives. I'll probably have to find a closet to sit in for peace and quiet. It gets pretty rowdy at my MIL's house. Lots of family comin' and goin' I'm sure.

Granny Judy
December 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
OH, SANDY... Please take care of yourself!! That last step was a doozie..so glad you had help to get yourself righted and back on track. And for the rest of ya... God Bless you and your "giving" spirits. My prayers go out to all in need.

It has done nothing but rain, pour and drizzle for the last 2 days.. If it were snow, I'd be buried up to my chin (I'm 5'3") I have done all I can do for Gift-Making this Holiday.. and can now just sew at my pleasure/leisure. Making a large quilt for DD#2 in her favorite colors.. Blueberry Layer Cake & Jelly roll.. *I love that fabric*.

SonInLaw had a sewing Need on his Winter/insulated coveralls- He works out in the weather year round. I managed to "fix" his problem without breaking a needle.. He is always so funny when I do things for him.. tells all his friends and family- in detail. And Has FOUND me that sewing cabinet for my extra machine.... No more bouncy, bouncy when sewing on the folding table!!

My B/d was the 2nd and I did get spoilt!!! Hugs to all.. Stay warm, stay dry!!

toggpine
December 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hello!

More stuff to do than I have time to list! Glad to see you checking in Blondie! Safe travels to all who are making journeys this holiday season.
Off to roust out the kiddo from bed. Two days left of school before Christmas break!
Have a great day and I'm sure I'll check in later!
Cathy

BellasQuilts
December 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Howdy, everyone sounds busy, busy. Sandy, take it easy there girl! We need you in fighting shape for the holidays.

I planned to sew up a storm last night but the kids dropped by unexpectedly with some photos...of a Sonogram - they are expecting! I'm not supposed to tell anyone yet, but sorry, child, this is my first time being a grandma and I'm gonna tell you guys! What a Christmas present! Let the shopping and quilting begin! Now I am all rev'd up to get my Christmas sewing done so I can start on BABY STUFF!! WHOO HOO! Can you tell I'm happy? Love and hugs to all. Megan

Blondie
December 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Congrats Megan! When are they due? It took me just a few days to whip up a DP9 for my expectant parents.

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy . . . don't you remember that just a few weeks ago when I tripped in the parking lot of the grocers, I told you to be careful and watch where you walk? Good grief, I hope you are all right. I know about the wrist and hand abrasions. My pride hurt worse and I am certain that yours does as well. Keep an eye and ear open to your body and if that fails, trust Al. I would trust that fella with my life.

I have 6 quilts of assorted sizes to gift this year for Christmas, among other ornaments, stockings etc. I am having a difficult time finding a box or bag to fit a few in. Suggestions? Just don't ask me to sew another thing until after Jan 1. I am too pooped to pop now! Perhaps I can shove them in a pillow case and wrap the crap out of that and tie with a bow.

Whew. I can't believe I am finished! Yay for me.

HandsOffItsMine
December 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats on becoming an OMA! Yea Whoooo! Join the club! We have to wait until Jan to find out what "Sprinkle" is? We so hope that it will be a girl, however just a healthy baby is the most important. But an Oma can wish can't she?!?

Get going, finish those projects, these work to be done in the BABY DEPT.! :D Ruby

Loonwatcher
December 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Blondie , missed you so much while you were off being a good daughter. I'm sure it means so much to your mom.

Rebecca & Martha - travel safely. Rebecca thanks for the tip about the scissors. I was wondering how you ladies were going to bring sewing stuff onto the plane. Must be they don't mind the needles? Rebecca, are you just coming for the holidays or returning to the US for good?

Happy Birthday to all you other December girls. Hope you get the good health, cake and everything else you hope for. My DS gave me strawberry shortcake, one of my faves. Or should I say strawberries and angel food cake with ice cream and cool whip.

Sandy - oh my! Take care of yourself. I prescribe and nice soothing bath - don't forget the epsom salts for those aches. I agree with Al, you shoudl get some xrays; at least the knee and wrist. Better safe than sorry.

Megan - CONGRATULATIONS! I'm beginnign to wonder if I'll ever be a grammy.

Wishing the best for everyone; prayers where needed.

My News - I won theblock of the month at guild last night. Black floral and red numbers. Problem is some of the folks cut and pieced backwards so the pattern doesn't work when you put the blocks together. Oh well, I see some smaller projects rather than a larger quilt.

Hugs,

HandsOffItsMine
December 14th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Afternoon all, been busy sewing, sewing, processing graphic design projects, jumping on here since 5 am Hawaii time. I'm already pooped.

Saw yesterday that my buddy Sandy made a fall, SS for her, sent ice her way but it melted before getting there! I told her not to follow Blondie's lead in the Ballet! She never listens to me!!! :P

Well, DH brought lunch. Time to get fatter!

Have a great day folks! Love, Ruby

quiltingtrish
December 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone!
~ Sandy - ouchey! I've got prayers coming for quick healing for you. Those darn cracks seem to pop up in our way when we aren't expecting them to. I almost took a tumble this morning right out the front door. There is a crack between the 2 pieces of concrete in the front sidewalk and sometimes seem to get my toe caught in it. Need to talk to DH to fill it in I suppose. If I would have spilled my 2 travel mugs of coffee, that would have done it.

Thinking of you who have lost loved ones this time of year. But remember, they would want us to enjoy our time here on earth.

Only 3 more days until Odie comes home. Don't know if I can wait that long. Need to get his room spruced up and ready for him.

Last night was our Guild's Christmas dinner and exchange. I got a small organizer with lots of pockets in it that hangs over the side of a mug. There are also pockets on the inside too. I want to try to figure out how to make some of those. It's really cool. She also filled all the pockets with little gadgets of this or that, really cool idea for a gift.

Darn - just tried to copy the instructions for the scissors keeper and my printer won't let me print them out. Guess I need to ask DH to figure out the problem for me. Someway or another, I'll get them printed.

Guess I better run for now. Katie needs the car tonight for a Youth Bible Group in the next town up. I find as long as I keep busy doing stuff then I don't think about her driving the car. She is a good driver, but I'm always nervous when I know my kids are out. There are too many out there that don't pay attention to what they are doing and all I can do is pray for their safety.

Off to check more of the newer messages I might have missed. I love looking at the photos posted of what you all are doing and making up.

Hugs,

BellasQuilts
December 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
They are due in August!
Congrats Megan! When are they due? It took me just a few days to whip up a DP9 for my expectant parents.

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy . . . don't you remember that just a few weeks ago when I tripped in the parking lot of the grocers, I told you to be careful and watch where you walk? Good grief, I hope you are all right. I know about the wrist and hand abrasions. My pride hurt worse and I am certain that yours does as well. Keep an eye and ear open to your body and if that fails, trust Al. I would trust that fella with my life.

I have 6 quilts of assorted sizes to gift this year for Christmas, among other ornaments, stockings etc. I am having a difficult time finding a box or bag to fit a few in. Suggestions? Just don't ask me to sew another thing until after Jan 1. I am too pooped to pop now! Perhaps I can shove them in a pillow case and wrap the crap out of that and tie with a bow.

Whew. I can't believe I am finished! Yay for me.

BellasQuilts
December 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I know, someone finally gets to call me OMA! I'm so excited. Can you tell?

Congrats on becoming an OMA! Yea Whoooo! Join the club! We have to wait until Jan to find out what "Sprinkle" is? We so hope that it will be a girl, however just a healthy baby is the most important. But an Oma can wish can't she?!?

Get going, finish those projects, these work to be done in the BABY DEPT.! :D Ruby