PDA

View Full Version : @Bubba - how do you shut down a lake and why??

WendyI
August 25th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I'm really confused by this! :icon_beuj::icon_beuj::icon_beuj:

Monique
August 25th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Good question Wendy.

Simply Quilting
August 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM
I don't know the reason for her lake being shut down. But here in the Midwest, we have had lakes shut down due to bacteria count being too high. This usually happens in the summer time. The news stations gives reports of which lakes are closed and there are warning signs posted at the lakes. There have also been some shutdown when there are severe drought conditions and the water levels are very low.

WendyI
August 25th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I am aware of these types of conditions, but in Bubba's case she mentioned others trying to block the shut down and work being delayed because of it, and so it's only just re-opened, which is weird because this is kind of the time of year (or just passed) when bacteria counts would be highest. So I'm confused by what she mentioned. Construction on a lake?? She mentioned electricity too...equally confusing in reference to water! I must have missed something somewhere!

Hulamoon
August 25th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Maybe they are looking for a body:icon_heh:

bubba
August 25th, 2016, 02:10 PM
The lake we go to is a private association and is used for camping. You are a member and when you buy your memberships, you have exclusive rights to your space and it can't be used by anyone else. We have two sites right on the water, which is nice. One lot has our large 5th wheel on it, a very nice covered fire shelter and a shed. Both sites are very wooded.

Last year, people were complaining they were getting shocked. They brought in people to do some testing and found that the electrical needed to be replaced. Since they were doing that, they decided to do the waterlines at the same time since they run in the same ditches and the waterlines were also quite old, I think from the 1960's.

This project is costing the association between 2.5 and 3 million dollars, so you can see it is not a small project. For safety reasons, they decided to shut the entire park down while the work was being done. There are 640 sites up there, so there are lot of unhappy campers.

It was so nice to be able to go up there this past weekend. If we were not invited to a wedding this Saturday, I'm sure MM and I would be up there this weekend as well. The water is back on, but there is no electricity yet, but we can get by without that. It was nice this last weekend, because the park was virtually empty. We were the only ones on our loop and the only other people we could see were our friends on the next loop over.

The lake is not large. It is spring fed and stocked with rainbow trout four times a year. You are not allowed to have motors of any kind, so you have to row, paddle, or sail. We have our own rangers and you have to go thru a security gate to gain access.

shirleyknot
August 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
That would be my kind of lake!

bubba
August 25th, 2016, 02:30 PM
It is pretty wonderful up there. It is just one hour from our house, and nice and quiet, so relaxing!

Here is more info.....

http://laketrask.com/

Cathy F
August 25th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing place!

Bouse
August 26th, 2016, 07:18 AM
I'd never be able to get my husband home again. It sounds like his idea of heaven.

WendyI
August 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM
OHHHHHH!!! Now I get it! Makes perfect sense! I used to have a trailer parked at a campground like that with my first spouse. I absolutely loved it there. That place looks amazing and like it has a great sense of community. No wonder you're itching to get back there! Thanks for sharing! xox