PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with A Mouse - PC one

MayinJerset
August 19th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Mouse pointer sticks somewhere or just disappears. I've changed the battery, switched mouse and it's still the same. I"m using DH's computer and thought that was the problem but all of the mouse (mice?) act the same on both computers. Even hooked up old mouse with a wire, still the same problem. Right now it is working fine but in a few minutes it will begin again.

The switch of computers hasn't been such a good idea, keyboard is so flat that I keep hitting the wrong keys or turn on all caps. Try as I may I still haven't found where to turn on the screen saver. Did get some cute bubbles to appear but desk top was on all night. Just too much to tackle this early in the morning without my coffee.

Bubby
August 19th, 2016, 08:52 AM
May, I'm not a guru by any means but my mouse needs a right click before it will work right with my HP laptop. You can elevate your keyboard a little by sliding a magazine under the back edge. The flatness of the keyboard was a hard thing for me to adjust to. I had to give up wearing a bracelet I've worn for over 50 years because it scraped the surface of my keyboard. I hope you get these issues worked out.

MayinJerset
August 19th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Got the mouse with wire hooked up again and it seems to be working OK, keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way until I buy a new cordless mouse. Found by accident how to turn monitor off at night, there is key with a half moon. Now to try to keep caps lock off. Could solve that problem by leaving it on but think forum members may think I'm angry if I type in CAPS.

WendyI
August 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Do you snack near your mouse? Check the bottom of your mouse and use a damp rag to clean the surface of it where the light comes out. Sometimes if dirt gets in the way, that can cause an issue. Has the surface changed where you use the mouse? Some surfaces (such as magazines) confuse the laser beam coming from the mouse. Perhaps also check your mouse settings. Also, if it's a wireless mouse, remove the "toggle" thingy (that's my technical term for it anyway) from your computer and plug it back in. If you have a port on the front of your computer try moving it to the front and make sure there are no obstacles blocking the signal. If all else fails, reboot or do a full shut down and re-start. If none of that works, get a new mouse.

As for the keyboard, check the underside. There should be two small "feet" at the top that flip out to raise the top of your keyboard. I use an ergonomic keyboard (let me know if you want a pic) and it also has these as well as being correctly sloped.

Hope that helps! xox

bakermom
August 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Wendy beat me to it but I was going to suggest cleaning the mouse. We had a ball-type on our old pc that would pick up every little fuzz and crumb. You could take it apart and clean it out. with kids eating around the pc it got to be a regular thing

Carlie Wolf
August 19th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Sometimes when hardware and things start acting sluggish on my computer I use my CCleaner to do its "cleaning" thing. I then shut down the computer wait a few minutes and turn it back on. That usually speeds things up and solves the problems. Also I totally shut down my computer at night and make sure that's it's not just on sleep mode.

snippet
August 19th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Wendy beat me to it but I was going to suggest cleaning the mouse. We had a ball-type on our old pc that would pick up every little fuzz and crumb. You could take it apart and clean it out. with kids eating around the pc it got to be a regular thing

Where I used to work, we had a fund raiser to vote for the mouse ball cleaner. Whoever won had the 'honor' of going to everyone's desk and cleaning each mouse ball. It was a HUGE fund raiser since everyone wanted the office chief to clean 30 mouse balls! We all were quite sad when the mice switched to optical.