PDA

View Full Version : No other night owls?

Judy, USMC
August 19th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Congratulations to all the former night owls that are now sleeping well. I'm still in recovery mode from the last trip. When I put my location as "Always on the road" I was half joking.

Terrible rainstorm today penny sized hail and gusts to 70mph but it has cooled from the mid-90's down to the 80's.

Hope y'all have a great Friday.

snippet
August 19th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Wow, you are in some bad weather Judy! Hunker down and let it pass over you. We had a spell of good rain the other day, so the temps are way down in the 80's and 90's. Feels awesome.

I was doing pretty good sleeping on a normal schedule, but tonight I'm up. So I decided to finish embroidering some nursery rhyme blocks for my cousin's granddaughter. I think I'm going to have to take the machine in for a spa day because it stops and says to clean out under the bobbin. So I cut threads and take the *&(*%$ bobbin area apart and find n.o.t.h.i.n.g. No lint, no teeny bit of thread, nothing. Then I put it all back together, rethread top and bobbin and sometimes it will continue to embroider. Sometimes it won't. In those cases I turn it off and then back on. And pray. Sometimes that works. I'm getting fed up.

But I did finish two blocks, so that's good. I have two more to do and then I'll back them and attach ribbons to hang them in her nursery room.

toggpine
August 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM
We have been watching the Olympics, so I haven't been on the Forum much.
I'm currently 4 hours from home getting ready to go judge another goat show. This one came with a night at a swanky lodge. Too bad I had to leave the rest of the family at home on this trip. We couldn't find a farm sitter as everyone else was also trying to get away this weekend.
I had better finish my breakfast and get on with the show!

bakermom
August 19th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Sorry, this night owl retired so you won't be seeing me in the middle of the night anymore. Miss the late night forum, work not so much

kimsophia
August 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Not a lot of sewing going on here...I will have to repair a piece I laundered. Some of the seams broke open. I had only tied it and not quilted it and I washed it in the home machine despite everything telling me NOT to launder a quilt in a home machine...but it was small enough that I thought it would be okay...not! But I don't think it will be hard to repair and the burst seams are only along two edges. It's only a baby-sized quilt.

I'd been reading "The Idiot" and had to quit as the characters and plot were too dysfunctional...oh well...I couldn't get through "Crime and Punishment" either. I am not cut out for Dostoevsky!

snippet
August 19th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Not a lot of sewing going on here...I will have to repair a piece I laundered. Some of the seams broke open. I had only tied it and not quilted it and I washed it in the home machine despite everything telling me NOT to launder a quilt in a home machine...but it was small enough that I thought it would be okay...not! But I don't think it will be hard to repair and the burst seams are only along two edges. It's only a baby-sized quilt.

I wash my quilts in my washing machine at home all the time. I did take the biggest king size quilt to the laundrymat to wash, but that's been the only one. We aren't supposed to machine wash them?

kensington
August 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I was night owling it last night... just not as late as this thread. I was in bed watching TV by then. But, had just finished up a lap quilt for my sister from her fiances shirts. He died last Feb 14th. She has had a rough year. She started it and asked me to finish it, as she was having such a hard time with it. (She can't sew a lick)... She gave it to me Wed. evening. I finished it last night. Won't she be surprised! Trying to get it to her sometime today. She needs something to smile about... although, I know she will cry.

shirleyknot
August 19th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I have been washing my quilts at home in my machine for 45 years, as do the owners of the quilts I no longer have. Can't see a problem with it.

kensington
August 19th, 2016, 04:36 PM
I wash my quilts in my washing machine at home all the time. I did take the biggest king size quilt to the laundrymat to wash, but that's been the only one. We aren't supposed to machine wash them?

Me too... I even dry them in my dryer, I love how they fluff right back up like they were when they were first finished. I even do Kings... I think if they are quilted nicely, they are less likely to separate at seams than if they are tied. But, mainly... I believe the fabric is the reason they ravel out.

K. McEuen
August 19th, 2016, 04:51 PM
All my quilts get washed in the machine, even my truck quilt, which is over 30 years old and tied. I have never had an issue with the washing causing the seams to come undone.

kimsophia
August 19th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Yeah, this is a unique kind of thing I made...really more like a pillow or tufted cushion. It is technically a quilt in the sense of three layers, but it is tied not quilted because the batting is inches thick polyester, more like a comforter type batting. I use it as a cushion for my back in my recliner. I've washed regular quilts in the machine but this is not the kind of thing to crinkle in the dryer. It's not the fabric that's the problem, that's from M*...I think it is more that it was too thick to move in the water and the agitator just beat one area. It just should have been hand washed, but I was too lazy.

snippet
August 19th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Yeah, this is a unique kind of thing I made...really more like a pillow or tufted cushion. It is technically a quilt in the sense of three layers, but it is tied not quilted because the batting is inches thick polyester, more like a comforter type batting. I use it as a cushion for my back in my recliner. I've washed regular quilts in the machine but this is not the kind of thing to crinkle in the dryer. It's not the fabric that's the problem, that's from M*...I think it is more that it was too thick to move in the water and the agitator just beat one area. It just should have been hand washed, but I was too lazy.ah I see. Yeah, a tied puffy thing like you describe would probably take a beating in the wash. I wonder if bar tacking it would help in the wash but still let it retain the thick fluffiness.

kimsophia
August 20th, 2016, 12:10 AM
That's a good idea!