PDA

View Full Version : Grandson Jack Update

Amarillo19
August 17th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Jack has been diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkin lymphoma. Yesterday the doctor put a port in his chest for chemo, did a bone scan on his hip and did a biopsy on one of the spots in his chest. Because it was in his chest wall, they had to deflate one of his lungs to get to the spot. Of course he was sedated for all this. The spleen biopsy was inconclusive so they had to go for one in his chest.
My son said yesterday was a day of more downs than ups. It was for all of us as we realize just what all this means and will entail.
A question for any of you who know about chemo treatments: We're planning to fly there in 3 weeks. Would we be endangering Jack by coming and bringing all the germs we're likely to pick up from flying? I guess this is a question for the oncologist, but I just wanted your opinions.

Ann

MayinJerset
August 17th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Prayers for a day with more UPS than downs.

Monique
August 17th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I can't answer your question but I will say prayers for you all.

KarenC
August 17th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I can't answer your question, but will definitely keep the family and doctors in my prayers.

mischiefkat
August 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Chemo is one of those thi

grandma nurse
August 17th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Sometimes the positive vibes from having your family close over rides the germ factor. A good shower and fresh clothing will clean the "flying germs" off.

Simply Quilting
August 17th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Praying for Jack. I agree about having a shower and fresh clothes before you see him. Depending upon what the doctor thinks some prefer that visitors put on the full protective gear (the yellow gowns) to protect the child. I think it would do him a world of good to be able to have his grandparents visit. Love can be some of the best medicine.

asta
August 17th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Continued prayers for Jack and family.

fatquarters
August 17th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I agree with others about the germs...shower and clean up, but also make sure no one is coming down with a cold. When my daughter in law was doing chemo, they had 3 little kids bringing germs home from school. we bought lots of hand sanitizer and made everyone use it often.
Sending prayers for your Grandson and for the rest of your family too.

Amarillo19
August 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM
The kindness of the people on this forum is overwhelming. Thank you so much.
Ann

quiltingtrish
August 17th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I don't know but I will have continued prayers.

MaryD
August 17th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I am a non-Hodgkins lymphoma (DLBC) survivor. My chemo was a fairly severe variety of chemo. At the time, only my 23 year old son was living at home. He was working with homeless children at the time so was exposed to all sorts of bugs. This was also during the time of the 'swine' flu epidemic.

I am a fairly laid-back housekeeper - the place was thoroughly cleaned every week, but our untidy crafty pursuits always made us look somewhat disorganised. We were very free with the hand sanitiser. John got the flu halfway through but I didn't. The infections I did get which required hospitalisation were -
(1) a mildly infected toenail which would normally been OK with treatment at home - it went beserk
(2) a mildly infected eyelid - ditto
Both required a week in hospital. The chemo completely knocks out your neutrifils.

It might be worth timing your visit for the first week after chemo. I felt as though I could conquer the world during the first week after, and as the chemo continued, more like death warmed up during the second and third weeks of each treatment.

My thoughts are with all of you.

bubba
August 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I know what you are going thru, sadly. I wish none of us had to deal with cancer because it really sucks. We see the oncologist for the first time this coming Friday and I'm sure MM will be scheduled for a port himself ASAP to get chemo started. I know they can do it thru the veins, but it is so hard on them, so we are opting for a port. His mom had one and she was a happy camper.

songbird857
August 17th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Ann,
Still praying for Jack here :)

mamo69
August 17th, 2016, 11:24 PM
If you want "extra germ removal from skin" you can use a special soap that is used prior to surgery. Ask your pharmacist about this. I am sorry I can not recall the name (husband had to use it prior to his knee replacement

bubba
August 18th, 2016, 12:38 AM
If you want "extra germ removal from skin" you can use a special soap that is used prior to surgery. Ask your pharmacist about this. I am sorry I can not recall the name (husband had to use it prior to his knee replacement

Is it Cetaphil? That is what they use in the premie nursery. Excellent face wash too! Even better, they sell it at Costco in a two pack.

pcbatiks
August 18th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Continued prayers for your grandson and family.

GaGa
August 18th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Our middle son had acute lymphocytic leukemia when he was 15. We have 5 sons and he was the middle one so we had germs coming from all directions - and we live on a farm. He was on chemo for 3 years but there were only a couple of times when his white blood counts were low enough that we really had to be especially cautious. On the up side, he's now 42, has a PhD and is married with 4 kids!! It was 3 years of ups and downs. I will continue to keep Jack and your entire family in my prayers. Focus on the many success stories.

stationarymom
August 18th, 2016, 12:57 AM
I will continue to pray for you and yours everyone needs the prayers right now.I stayed with my Mom through her Chemo and I was even allowed to take her down to the cafeteria (She wore a mask to protect her) so she could see if there was anything that looked good to her.Have your DD check with his Doc and if necessary wear gowns and masks but go see him.

WendyI
August 18th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear your GS has to go through this. I also agree that having as many people by his side that love him will be part of the best medicine he can receive. I will keep him and your family in my thoughts. Wishing for the very best outcome! xox

rebeccas-sewing
August 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry this had to happen. It's not so great for adults to have this illness but for a little one....I think it's wise to find out from the oncololgist. As others have said being clean and also wearing a face mask might be the way to go if it's acceptable for you to be around him. He's awfully young so I would say your support will most likely be for his parents who, I'm sure, are grieving over this situation.

mamo69
August 18th, 2016, 06:47 PM
To be honest, that doesn't ring that "yes, yes" button. But, on the other hand, directions from hospital said a NEW bar of soap, freshly laundered towels and wash cloths would also be acceptable

kensington
August 21st, 2016, 02:27 AM
They basically tell you that IF you have anything not to visit. But, if you don't and you wash hands alot, make sure you don't care anything there, I think you will be fine. You could wear double masks if you are worried. And rubber gloves.. But I think you should go. You are his grandparents. I went for my sister. I am glad I did.

We were only told "if you have a cold or flu, stay away"....

Granny Fran
August 21st, 2016, 09:41 AM
By all means go if your grandsons parents need you. Try not to be overly concerned. He is in good hands. Chemo can really wear you out, so do not be alarmed if he doesn't seem "like himself." These drugs make you sick in order to knock out the cancer, but children respond so much better than adults. Fortunately they do not know all the limiting factors that we, as adults, focus on.
Prayers and best wishes from a survivor and mother of a son that also survived.

Yanna
August 21st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Ann, I will be keeping you all in my prayers.