PDA

View Full Version : I've annoyed myself..

Julie Tweed
December 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I look at the things you lot make on here and now on Quilt Board and I get annoyed with myself. You stuff looks so nice and I know so far most of what I try turns out wrong. Like the stocking I made today...what should have been a simple task turned out terrible. It looked OK from afar but so many things went wrong just handling the stocking one can see all the things that are wrong.
I know there are no quilt police...but when you want to make things to give away you want them to turn out properly...and I think seeing the photos make me realize how far behind I am.
I've joined the Polka Dot swap...and even though it looks easy...I'm a bit worried it won't come out right and I'll have nothing to give when times up..:(

Does anyone else ever feel that way??
I've so many many things I want to learn and no patience to do one thing at a time..lol...
Patience is not my best quality..I have none.

Sorry for the blah blah blah...

Just feeling a bit envious of all you lot have done over the last few weeks and apart from the baby blanket I sit here so worried about messing up...I don't even get started..:icon_razz:

Thanks for listening

DCM
December 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
If you have the opportunity to take classes at a quilt shop I would encourage you to do so. You can learn so many pointers from the instructor and the other people taking the class. I don't think I've made one perfect item yet. Each project is a learning process and you'll feel more and more comfortable doing things as time goes on. You'll find your strengths and weaknesses -- avoid patterns that you don't enjoy. Look at what you've accomplished instead of dwelling on the little mistakes. Have fun!

sally
December 12th, 2011, 07:46 PM
We are our own worst critics. I just a Christmas table top dresdin for a party I am going to tomorrow. My hubby thinks it looks great.Al I see is that the circle is not centered right, stictch in the ditch could be better. Bah Humbug...I feel your pain. Anyhow I am going tp give it anyways and try to see as my husband does. Hang in there Julie...you are not alone!

Monique
December 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Julie, I have made lots of mistakes making those tote bags. You just can't see them. But you know what, whatever you give to another person, you give out of love and they should receive it with lots of love not matter what.

Take your time, ask lots of questions. If you don't get to make them this year as gifts, you will have a whole year to make them for next year. This is the first time I have made gifts. There was so much I wanted to do, but not enough time.

Watch all of Jenny's tutorials. She really is an inspiration.

Pat yourself on the back just the same, you made one. The next one will be better.

Hugs,

quiltingtrish
December 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Ahh Julie - I've been quilting for 16 years and I still make lots of mistakes!! I've taken lots of classes, watched probably hundreds of tutorials, and have thumbed through probably a thousand or more quilting magazines and books.
I checked out your album and I think your projects are great. Also think your dogs are so cute!

When I check tutorials, if one doesn't make sense to me, I click on another one until my brain 'gets it'. I've been known to sit here and read through instructions and think "HUH?" and until I actually do it, then I go "OH COOL!" But then I go to make another one and have to relearn all over again sometimes.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I know you want nice things to give away, but hopefully you are giving them to people that appreciate the hand-made items and know how much it takes to make something like what we do.

I need to make a few stockings myself and hope they turn out okay. Sure wish I could help you there, but I haven't tried any yet.
Trying is better than not. It will get better, I promise. :)))

Hugs,

cyndiofthevortex
December 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Julie,

Please don't give up! This time of year we often get overwhelmed, and it's true we are our own worse critics. I know I am. Some days I think I can't do anything right and I just tell myself, Do The Next Thing. Whatever I was going to do, just do it. If it comes out wrong, there's my trusty seam ripper right next to my machine.

We are all here to encourage each other. Keep going.

Cyndi

ps I couldn't make a Christmas stocking to save my life.

HandsOffItsMine
December 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Julie, you're being way to hard on yourself. No one is perfect! Not even the instructors, you can go to anyone of their tutorials, stop on any of the closeups and see that they have blocks/triangle that don't match up perfectly, that they wander out of the ditch, lol

I did the Floral Swap and was stressing as I have a touch of the OCD and Suzi slapped me around about the Quilting Police...I let it go, just had fun, sent my block. They weren't perfect and guess what I got 23 blocks back that were BEAUTIFUL - they weren't perfect but made from the heart by 23 cyber friends. All unique in their own way, that's what's important, not that each block should have been perfect.

Below is a link to Gemini on YouTube she has a simple stocking video on the sewing mechanics of how to put a stocking together. Maybe by watching that one it will make you more comfortable on the sewing technique required. That's a separate skill from piecing and quilting...it's sewing. :)

Huggers and no more hitting yourself with a wet noodle! Ruby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLOTwbLaRg

SuziC
December 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Julie, we quilters are our own worst critics! Try not to get discouraged. We all have made many, many mistakes. Most of them other people don't even notice. It is worse when you plan on giving the item away..LOL Just try to have fun with your projects and don't give up!

bobw103
December 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I so hear you Julie. I just finally completed three Christmas gifts and really am not 'in love' with any of them because they just don't look as good as others that I see here. Every time I sit down at my machine I wonder how in the heck Jenny sews so quickly etc etc....I just keep telling myself that it all takes time. I used to cut lots of corners and now no longer do that so I am getting better...HA AND I am learning a ton on this site as well as with the tuts.
So yep Julie I feel the exact same way but I think I am learning and may even one day be able to free motion quilt!

Sandy Navas
December 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
DITTO TO EVERYONE ABOVE

MRoy
December 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Julie, I've sewn since I was a teenager, making clothes, and handbags, but I only recently started on quilts...and I'm my own worst critic. But I'm using really simple patterns, watching tutorials until I have them almost memorized, and I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff. I get intimidated too, when I see all the beautiful work on display here, but I remind myself that I'm a beginner and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hang in there and DON'T QUIT! Your work is beautiful because it comes from your hands and your heart...and that's what matters most.

RFREE
December 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Julie, There is nowhere else on the web that is as supportive with our attempts,successes and failures as the people right here. From day one everyone has been so supportive with everything I have posted no matter how bad I think it looks They lift me up and make me keep on going. Practice makes perfect.The more you do the better you will get. I have seen your projects and don't see a thing wrong with any of them. Everything I make I see imperfections but you know what? That's why I like to create things that are different.If it were perfect it would look like it came from Wal-mart along with the hundreds of identical things anybody could have. Hand made things are to be cherished and are one of a kind. Don't be hard on yourself. There are people out there who can't even thread a needle let alone make a quilt. Be proud you are a creative person and not someone who can't even sew on a button.Now get back in there and make a quilt or a stocking or something that no one else can get at Wal-Mart!!!!

HandsOffItsMine
December 12th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I so hear you Julie. I wonder how in the heck Jenny sews so quickly etc etc!

LOL...It's called VIDEO TAPING!!!...Tape, stop, re-do, someelse in the shop is sewing part of the quilt or multiple people are piecing the quilt. Just like on F&P or any other craft show.

You can't and shouldn't measure your output against someone else. You'll just be sad and frustraged. Enjoy the creative process and the growth experience with each completed project. :)

Yeah to all artisans! There aren't enough of us!

RFREE
December 12th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Sorry!!! Was I to hard on her girls?????

InGodzHndz
December 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Don't know that I can help you much...I've been annoyed at myself for a bit, too. Just didn't know how to put it in words!
I put in a new zipper in my son's REVERSIBLE coat....stupid....I should have used a walking foot when sewing part of the stupid inner fleece. I pulled it out of wack and had to try to feed it in.
I'm just glad that my 9 year old won't care...he'll just have his favorite comfy coat back with a working zipper!

BellasQuilts
December 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Ditto to Sandy's Ditto. There are no quilt police, these are things we make for others with love and we are getting better with each try. Period. It is the journey that we are here to enjoy (that's what I tell myself as I too have no patience!).

phoots
December 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Hey Julie! I have been quilting for about 10 yrs but have only completed 2 quilts. I procrastinate and look at what I'm doing, don't like it and quit. I so understand what you're going through. I've got two quilts going right now. One is for my niece who recently got married. I'm so afraid that it's not gonna turn out right that I've pretty much stopped sewing on it for now. I'll finish it, I do know that, and I'll send it to her and her husband. I just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it's not gonna look right. I'm pretty sure it won't be square at all. I do understand. I have not taken any classes because of money but I do want to. Another thing I've been told by a lot of quilters is to join a guild. I haven't done that either. I'm too shy.

Don't give up and I won't either. The more we practice I'm sure that the better we'll get! My love to you and everyone else!
Pam

lilmouse
December 13th, 2011, 05:55 AM
We all are our own worst critics and we need to remember why we quilt in the first place...to enjoy it and express our creativity! Remember also only God is perfect and we are not...doesn't mean we can't aspire to do a better job but it is a learning process always and if you don't make mistakes, how are you going to learn from them.....just wish I could remember some of those past mistakes before I repeat them again!

rebeccas-sewing
December 13th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Julie - I also took a look at your photos. You seem to be doing a fine job with what you're making. I agree with everyone. I think you're being too hard on yourself. Maybe you're attempting projects that you're not quite ready to tackle. You might consider trying some simpler sewing projects if what you're working on is so frustrating for you. I don't know how long you've been sewing but I've been sewing since I was around 5 years old and I'm turning 60 on Christmas Day! Even with all those years of experience, to this day I make mistakes and have to get out my seam ripper. I also only tackle projects that are geared to my skill level. I know how you feel, though. Quilters on this website often post pictures of quilts they admire at quilt shows. I am always amazed by what I see and sometimes get a little down because I know those quilts are way beyond my level of skill or my level of patience. There will always be someone who is much better at quilting than I. Realizing it and accepting it is all I can do. It's pointless to feel bad about it. What's more important is to focus on what you can do and just strive to improve at your own pace. It's just like anything else. If you really like what you're doing, you'll keep doing it, and you'll keep doing it better the more you do it. The other thing you can do is avoid looking at "Show and Tell." LOL Having a sense of humor and a positive attitude is important in all aspects of our lives. My husband will be the first to tell you that the reason our marriage works is because we battle tough experiences in our lives by maintaining our sense of humor. So - you keep smiling and keep sewing! If you need another pep talk you know where to come. LOL

a1angiem
December 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
interesting thread! seems like we are ALL too hard on ourselves, (women, right?!?!). I recently said to myself, why won't one thing come out perfectly?...it's frustrating when you do one part really well and then screw up on something else! Unless it's a total disaster, I don't rip it out...but sometimes I'll re-do it. Unlike many others, I have not sewed a stitch my whole life. I just started in late July so I have a LOT to learn! I'm happy I've produced anything at all and just figured it out as I went. In the end, who cares! As long as you enjoy doing it and have a beautiful item or gift at the end, no one is going to zoom in on little mistakes...right??? I would like to echo EVERYTHING everyone else has posted in reply!!! Now of course I'm going to go look at your album and I bet everything will be fantastic!!!!

Beakkmom
December 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Julie, we ARE our own worse critics! Continue to quilt, and perhaps take any quilting classes that might be available. The main objective is to HAVE FUN!!
My mom has my first paper piecing project hanging above her bed in the nursing home....every time I see it I look at the corners and cringe at how badly they look ~ she thinks it looks wonderful.

Blessings!

Lin

lawork1211
December 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Not only are we our own worst critics, we all think everyone else does such a better job. Remember, all the photos you see are from a distance, so you are not looking at them close up to find the flaws. Every piece (my own more than anyone!) have flaws, that is what makes them special. Remember that how you see everyone here's quilts as prefect, that is how the people you give your gifts to will see them. They will see the love and work behind the project.

Nena
December 13th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I feel your pain. I Have experienced this often. What I can suggest is take a few classes with an instructor there. Ask alot of questions. Maybe you should try smaller or easier projects-they are great because you can easily finish them and build up your confidence. Also---like everyone else all ready said---we are our worst judges. Go easy on yourself. Don't give up.

janluna
December 14th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Julie, when you finish something, please put it across the room and leave the room. Have a cup of tea. Later walk into the room, and look at your quilt from afar. What do you see. A beautiful pattern? Yes, Pretty colors and prints? Yes, tiny stitches, NO! And no one else will either. Your quilts are fine and your stitching will improve. Your color application will be more right on as you progress. Just keep on keeping on Sweetie! I like what you have posted! Hugs, Jan L.

phoots
December 14th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Julie, I've looked at your pictures and I've read what everyone has had to say. It's obvious to me that you are loved by everyone here just as I am (a fairly new quilter), just as the most experienced quilter here! Bask in the love of this site and the men and women here! I do!!!
Pam