PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm ready for the loony bin.

MayinJerset
August 10th, 2016, 10:07 AM
This might be easier if I just list things as they happened

June - regular check up at primary doctor, blood taken.
Few days later - nurse calls with results - everything was OK except I'm slightly anemic, primary wants me to have GI series. Asked was she sure because I thought primary would want me to take iron pills again. No that's what he said and she would send me a referral with the script for GI.

6 week wait to see gastro doc. referred to, at appointment on time, 2 1/2 hr wait to see her, rushed consolation, scheduled for GI in October. What! Unacceptable.

Contacted primary's office, they asked who sent me to that gastroc - you did. Got referral to another gastro, scheduled me in late August. Sill Unacceptable.

Decide to call hospital, they said how about tomorrow? Did my prep work, arrived on time, got into hospital gown while doctor read the referral and script primary office gave me. Seems it didn't specify just what my primary wanted done, calls to his office, he said he didn't give an order for me to have a GI Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this a dream? Glad I kept copies of the paperwork primary's office sent me so I know I didn't dream up this scenario. Will have a lot to talk about at next primary office visit - going to be there longer than my allotted 15 minutes to be sure. Mean while I'm looking for a new primary.

Shirley
August 10th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a nightmare !

asta
August 10th, 2016, 10:36 AM
What an experience! My advice....uneducated in any medical form.....eat more red meat, if that does not sit well, try the iron supplements.

pcbatiks
August 10th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Good grief, May! Going to the doctor is getting more and more scary all the time. Getting accurate info from the doctors office is quite a challenge these days. Hope the iron issue can be taken care of with iron tablets. Dealing with all of that must have been exhausting.

Hugs to you. :)

Monique
August 10th, 2016, 11:08 AM
May oh May what are they doing to you?

quiltsRfun
August 10th, 2016, 11:17 AM
What a nightmare! And through it all you're left wondering what they're looking for and what they'll find. Definitely time for a change.

jjkaiser
August 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
How much are they charging you for these procedures that you didn't even have?! Check your bill when it comes and fire your doctor!

rebeccas-sewing
August 10th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Good grief!!! I'd be looking for a new GP, too. Reminds me of how I ended up with diverticulosis and wasn't informed until three years later when I had an attack of divericulitis. When I never heard anything regarding the testing I should've called to find out the results. I was just assuming that everything was fine since I hadn't heard anything. I won't make that mistake again. Also, in my defense, I was home for a short while when I had the testing done since we were still living overseas. I guess so much was going on that this one slipped by me. I'm glad you took the bull by the horns. It's really important to keep on top of one's own situation when it comes to one's health.

MayinJerset
August 10th, 2016, 01:24 PM
How much are they charging you for these procedures that you didn't even have?! Check your bill when it comes and fire your doctor!

Ha, Ha, DH and I are in our early 80's so they figure Medicare will pay for it. Whole area is part of Meridian; hospitals, doctors, labs, etc. Get a cut or wound you have to go to Wound Center where the treatment goes on for at least of month or for the length of time Medicare and your supplemental medical insurance covers you. Really have to keep your wits about you nowadays.

grandma nurse
August 10th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I just have a question. Did at any time did you actually get to talk to the doctor or was all conversation with his nurse? ,I finding that more and more office "nurses" are making diagnosis and in my area they don't have any nursing education. As a retired RN I get very upset by this.

auntiemern
August 10th, 2016, 02:00 PM
That is crazy. I first and foremost find out EXACTLY who sent you the paper work with the order. Yep. time for a new PCP.

TMP
August 10th, 2016, 02:03 PM
My goodness !! I hope you find a new primary doctor. It sort of sounds like to me maybe they got you mixed up with another patient .

bubba
August 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I'd be getting a new doctor.....

MayinJerset
August 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I just have a question. Did at any time did you actually get to talk to the doctor or was all conversation with his nurse? ,I finding that more and more office "nurses" are making diagnosis and in my area they don't have any nursing education. As a retired RN I get very upset by this.

Not sure who called me, could have been primary's RN, RN Practitioner or staff member who called me and sent me the 1st referral. One of the things I plan to talk to primary about. Will be search for a new PCP but in this area they all belong to a big group that I think puts pressure on them the get the cattle in and out as quick as possible.

SewnByBee
August 10th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Oh dear, I feel your pain......lol.

I've got where I hate going........I think I'm going to ask for a referral. ......to a veterinarian. ......Ceriously, .......health care for humans stinks.......animals, get better care, and from now on I am CLAIMING to be a cat......pretty close, I don't like to get my feet wet, .....as well as a few other of those famous. ....kitty cat, like
behaviors. ...lol

Pluss....they don't even get their med denied by the insurance companies
............. 134035
Take care May, ((((( HUGS ))))

Vonnie
August 10th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Reminds me of the time they sent my Dad for a lower G.I. when he had throat cancer. He put up such a fuss that finally a passing doctor took notice and really let the interns have it. My Dad was suppose to get an upper G.I. This happened over 20 years ago at the Loma Linda VA hospital in California. Supposedly the best VA hospital. Sadly that was not the only incident while he was there. My cousin had to stop them from performing a surgical procedure because she noticed on his chart that his blood gas was way too low. Luckily she was visiting him.

Sandy Navas
August 10th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Just a friendly reminder - of all the medical schools graduating physicians, each year there is at least one in each class who barely passed and was given a degree . . .

Bubby
August 10th, 2016, 05:20 PM
May...I totally understand what you're talking about and the 15 minute visit. Doesn't it make you wonder if anyone knows what's going on!! I quit going to a female primary care doctor because I asked her a question about my diabetes that was important to me and she told me my 15 minutes were up. She also said that if she gave me more time it would throw her off for the rest of the day. I changed doctors immediately and reported her to the hospital (her employer). Jeff used to go to her, too, and she dropped him as a patient because he didn't talk fast enough to please her. Jeff likes to think a little before he replies but he's definitely not slow.

Good luck at your next appointment, May. Stand up for your rights and don't let them push you around. (((HUGS)))

auntiemern
August 10th, 2016, 06:06 PM
May...I totally understand what you're talking about and the 15 minute visit. Doesn't it make you wonder if anyone knows what's going on!! I quit going to a female primary care doctor because I asked her a question about my diabetes that was important to me and she told me my 15 minutes were up. She also said that if she gave me more time it would throw her off for the rest of the day. I changed doctors immediately and reported her to the hospital (her employer). Jeff used to go to her, too, and she dropped him as a patient because he didn't talk fast enough to please her. Jeff likes to think a little before he replies but he's definitely not slow.

Good luck at your next appointment, May. Stand up for your rights and don't let them push you around. (((HUGS)))
I have to say I have a great primary doc. He has been my doc since he first went in to practice with my other doc. (30 yrs) He takes all the time I need to talk to me...sometimes he just talks to me about stuff he feels I need to know or hear. He really is more than just a doc to me and my DD. I will NOT let him to certain physical exams on me because it would feel like my brother doing it, lol. That is how close we are. I even have him home phone #.

Ginny B
August 10th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Oh my goodness May. What an experience! A number of years ago when dh and I first got married, I was having trouble getting my bp medicine renewed. The pharmacist said he tried a few times to get the doctor's office to give the go ahead and the first time he left the request, he received no reply for two days. He called again, same result. Third time, he was told I didn't have a script for that med and that I should call. So, he called me, I called them. The nurse called me back and said that I should have told the I needed a renewal when I was in the office a few weeks before and besides, she didn't see bp med listed for me. I asked her what she was talking about, I hadn't been in to see the doctor for a few months. She said no, I had been in for my cold a few weeks ago. What?!!! I asked her how old did it say the patient whose chart she was looking at was. She gave me the age of one of my step-daughters who used the same doctor and whom I knew had been in for a cold a few weeks before. I told her she was looking at the wrong chart and my name was not Victoria it was Virginia. Now I know that our names both started with the same first letter but, really. If the pharmacist has called 3 times for VIRGINIA, saying that the med needs to be renewed with a prescription # you would think they might notice that something isn't matching. I had a few choice words with her, told her to call in my script NOW! since I was out and she was endangering my health. I guess the thing that put me over the edge was that she didn't think it was a big deal that the refill was now delayed over a week and tried to blame it on me and the pharmacist that we didn't try to straighten it out earlier. I got my script the next day, then called back to tell them to please send copies of my records as I wouldn't be using their services anymore if I couldn't trust them to actually look at the name on the chart. I liked the doctor ok but since you deal more with the nurses and other office staff, you really need to be able to have confidence in them too.

lots2do
August 12th, 2016, 11:38 PM
A similar situation happened to a coworker of mine. She went in for her annual PAP and the nurse made a comment about how she was feeling in her first trimester.. What? Turned out her young, unmarried daughter was the one who was pregnant. She hadn't told her folks yet.

Ginny B
August 12th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Oh no! That was bad!

easyquilts
August 13th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Oh, my goodness! I'd be looking for a new primary, too!

KathyCrofoot
August 13th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Will have a lot to talk about at next primary office visit - going to be there longer than my allotted 15 minutes to be sure. Mean while I'm looking for a new primary.

Having just been through this with my Mom - DO NOT let them tell you they don't have enough time to address your concerns. Did you know if you are over 70 and on Medicare, the doctor's office has to schedule you a 30 minute appointment? My mom actually switched Primary Care practices when the old one kept her waiting an hour then didn't get to her concerns because "your 15 minutes are up". The new practitioner tried to tell her, with me in the room, that she may not get to her whole list. I told her "Time Out we're scheduled for a 30 minute appointment and here's what the concerns are" 1, 2, 3, 4 (which in all tied in together and gave her a fuller picture of the situation per the PA).

My advice is: Be armed with your list of questions, summarize when possible the major concerns, and if possible, have someone else with you who can be your advocate. 4 ears are better than 2, and at least one of you should be able to understand what is going on, why the referrals are being given and what they hope to accomplish with the test/referral. Not to say that you may not understand yourself. Mom said that having me there was invaluable because she wouldn't have been able to articulate her concerns as concisely as I was. On my part, I was there to listen, ask questions when I didn't understand, and translate for Mom when she didn't understand. I wasn't there to insert my opinions, rather to share my observations and ask relevant questions.... be an advocate for my Mom.

Good luck. Mom's favorite phrase became "they're still practicing medicine. I'm not sure they will ever get it right."

Snip Snip
August 13th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I heard recently that medical errors is the #1 cause of death in the US. Now I don't know if that's true or an exaggeration, but I do know those folks are only human, and are being pressured to produce more and more $$ for their companies. And are under tighter constraints by the insurance companies.
With that in mind, we all need to be our own advocates, and, as Kathy said, take a friend or relative along if you have any problems at all understanding. Or if you are anxious about the appointment.

GuitarGramma
August 13th, 2016, 03:52 PM
May, I just wanted to share a tip for mild anemia. Two of my daughters have each been told that their blood is just below the threshold for being able to give blood (i.e. OK for a woman, too low for a man, so not actually anemic). Both, by the way, were vegetarians. I bought a cast iron fry pan and told them to cook their eggs in it. Each of them were then able to donate blood, as it raised their iron levels just enough.