PDA

View Full Version : Owl

TMP
August 9th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I am wondering if any one knows what kind of owl this is? He was in a tree in the backyard my GD noticed him.

TMP
August 9th, 2016, 07:27 AM
I apologize for the quality of this photo and the fact for some reason its side ways. I was a little afraid of him and snapped the photo with my phone as fast as I could.

shirleyknot
August 9th, 2016, 09:07 AM
He was probably MUCH more afraid of you, but as best I can tell, looks like a barn owl.

catmama635
August 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM
It is hard to see, but it looks like a barred owl to me. Do a google image search for a barred owl and see if this might be it.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 9th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Is he hooting " who cooks for youuuu, who cooks for youuuuu?" If he is asking that, he is a barred owl. Round head, no ear tufts, sort of a soft call. We heard them all the time when we lived in the country. My late husband would say to me after he heard it call, " Jeani, someone wants to know who's cooking tonight". Our little funny between us.

A google image of a barred owl

Definitely not a barn owl, that is the Harry Potter owl with the white face.

mischiefkat
August 9th, 2016, 09:55 AM
It is hard to see, but it looks like a barred owl to me. Do a google image search for a barred owl and see if this might be it.
I think it's a Bard also. We had one living in the trees on our side lot. Has a huge wing span, if I remember, correctly. Kathy

bubba
August 9th, 2016, 01:51 PM
When we lived in California, I had long hair. One day after work, I was walking from the bus stop to our house. As I walked under a tree, something pulled on my ponytail hard!!! I put my hand up there and felt CLAWS!!!! One of these owls flew off with a wing span of a few feet.....I think it thought it was getting a mouse or something!

MRoy
August 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM
We call these hoot owls.

auntiemern
August 9th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Looks like a barred owl to me as well.