PDA

View Full Version : Retiring/Downsizing Question

Carolnnc
August 8th, 2016, 04:52 PM
We will be moving in the next couple of years when hubby retires. I have decided to slowly work on cleaning out things I never use and taking them to Goodwill. So far that's been pretty easy: never used it so out it goes. The hard part is paring down things I really like. I am now stuck on the Christmas decorations. For the last two weeks it looks like the North Pole has exploded in my quilting cave. I know I need to get rid of 3/4 of the stuff but for some reason I am hesitating. I realize we will probably move to a smaller house and as I get older I may (or may not) want to bother with decorating extensively.
If you've retired, downsized and moved, did you later find that you were okay with the things you let go? Was there something you wished you'd kept?

Neller
August 8th, 2016, 05:28 PM
We are retired and one thing I find that I almost never use is Christmas decorations! We have two sons who each live in different cities and we go visit one son one year and the other the next, so I don't even bother decorating. If they ever come to our house for Christmas, I suppose I'll haul them out. When we moved out of Alaska we got rid of a lot of stuff, and I haven't missed it yet. That being said, I still have boxes I haven't unpacked, and it's been four years, so there is more stuff that I can get rid of. If I haven't used it in four years, I never will.

Hulamoon
August 8th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I just did that today. My dd moved back to the island and came by today. She always used to ask me for my things and it bugged the heck out of me. I decided to give her my bike, a collection of glass balls (fishing) and an expensive table. I found that if she really wanted this stuff that bad, I'll part with it.

Christmas ornaments are different. I've been collecting one of a kind for thirty years and a few years ago she wanted to go through them. I said no. Fast forward, I got a nice faux alpine tree and put all my favorites on it. I put a bag over it and bring that out. I'm ready to let the rest go.

I didn't think I was so attached to some things, but I'm ready to thin down.

shirleyknot
August 8th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I did a huge downsize, and haven't missed anything yet.

kensington
August 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM
I have a TON of Christmas stuff. I put up quite a few trees, my 3 story house is decorated inside and out, bathrooms and kitchen too.

To downsize... which I do from time to time, especially if I want to update or get more.... when the next decorating season comes, I decorate the house, using only what I like the best or is valuable to my collection. (Hallmark stuff). And then, I can clear out or give away what I did not use that year. That way I keep rotating my things, and keep the look up to date and fresh.

It really does work. Some stuff might get packed away, but I give away a bunch too. Goodluck!!

quiltingaway
August 8th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Having gone through two flood/water events in our house in a three year period it is much easier to get rid of things than it used to be. I never want to be in the situation of having to move that much stuff out of the house again :) And I have found I've gotten along fine without the things I've got rid of. What hasn't been thinned out yet is quilting and Christmas items. I feel like I can go through my quilting things and donate things I don't love anymore. I will still have more than I need. I have a series of Christmas collectibles that would be very hard to part with. A few years back I went through old Christmas ornaments from our sons chilhood. He had children of his own and thought he should have them. They have been very happy with that. As we downsize more I will probably try to share with nieces and nephews. When my sister and BIL retired and become fulltime RVs she gave me a couple of her cherished Christmas things. She knew I loved them and they'd still be in the family. So that it what I will try to do.

tsladaritz
August 8th, 2016, 06:34 PM
We are kind of thinking that way also. The last few years I have stopped decorating for holidays mostly. I bought a prelit tree, bought small storage containers I can carry by myself and each year bought a few more easier things. I will slowly just get rid of the excess that is in the attic. I used to have 3 teens living here to help haul things and manage the attic storage. They are gone and my bad feet and knees can not deal with it. The pain is motivation enough to not over do it.

My mother was an extreme decorator in a way and having to wade through all her things after she died is also strong motivation. We moved her stuff several times in her later years. She did very little of that work- it fell on us. ;-/

Make yourself an 'ambivalent' closet or area. Set things there as you purge. If you realize you have not even missed it after a few months, give yourself permission to toss it. So holiday stuff it would be making newer, smaller area to store what you are certain you want to keep and check next year to see if you really wanted to haul any of the other out. Cooking/household items give it up to 6 months. I say that long because I found if I only waited a month then something came up and I needed that one item. LOL

Hulamoon
August 8th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Coming off tsladaritz's idea you could do the give, keep, maybe boxes like when you do a garage sale. I know I could make a few hundred dollars from one, but have no shelter to set one up and it rains a lot here.

MaryUK
August 8th, 2016, 06:53 PM
This is so strange - folks having clear out - it must be the season for it!! That is just what I have been doing - over the weekend I went through my quilting fabrics and re-folded them as they were in such a mess. This gave me the impetus to do the same with my dressmaking fabrics so all the half yard bits are going in a bag which I will take to our local cancer research charity. They weigh in old clothes and fabrics and sell it to the car industry who use it in padding out seats.
When MIL died and FIL went into residential care we had to clear the house to put it up for sale. There was so much stuff that we still have a garage full waiting for us to sort and take to the charity shops. I have promised my DD I won't leave our house in the same state but can't yet bring myself to get rid of anything!!

quiltingaway
August 8th, 2016, 06:55 PM
My mother was an extreme decorator in a way and having to wade through all her things after she died is also strong motivation. We moved her stuff several times in her later years. She did very little of that work- it fell on us. ;-

Yes this exactly - We had to clean out my Mom's house and my FILs. It is something I don't want our son to go through! And I agree hauling out all the stuff and putting it away is harder each year. Or at least I get less excited about it than I used to.

Claire Hallman
August 8th, 2016, 07:00 PM
We moved in May after living in a house with lots of storage and I got rid of lots and lots of things. I only regret giving away one small lamp, it was inexpensive so I could just get another one.
As far as Christmas items are concerned, I got rid of a lot but after this coming Christmas I will be getting rid of everything that I do not decorate with. Our storage is in an attic and is not too easy to access so what comes down will either be very precious or be gone in January. I wish my DS and DIL were interested but they are not, some one at the thrift store will be.:)

Hulamoon
August 8th, 2016, 07:08 PM
My situation is that everyone in my family is gone. One by one things went to another person. I grew up looking at all these beautiful things and it became really sentimental to me. I brought a ton of stuff home to Hawaii. This was a good subject for me. Now to do it!

JCY
August 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Several yrs. ago we gave the 6 ft. artificial Christmas tree to a son. All the decorations have been given away. The only Christmas dec. we kept are the ones on the small artificial tree we have, which is about 3-4 ft. tall. I leave it decorated year 'round. When Christmas is over, I just cover it with a large black plastic bag & store it in the bsmt. Come Christmas, just take off the bag, & it's ready to plug in the lights! No muss, no fuss.

I have a LOT of boxes of all sorts of things I should be going through & ridding out. It's one of those things I keep putting off. I know it's something I need to do. At present there are no plans to downsize, but I know that day is off somewhere in the future, & I really should be making a start on it.

Sylvia H
August 8th, 2016, 08:07 PM
The only two things I regret getting rid of were easily replaced - a juicer and a food processor. As for the rest, they have never been missed. I still have items to dispose of. What I have learned is that some of the things I am keeping are because I still have the "fantasy" of using them for certain things - which I will never do! The "fantasies" do not fit in with my present life at all - but they are still there. They are dreams of what I would do if I were "perfect", and that is the real fantasy! LOL!

I agree, though, that you should wait a bit before getting rid of any item if you are not absolutely sure of removing it from your life. Put it in that maybe or wait pile, and start thinking about life without it. That should help.

Another way to look at it is that you are "passing things on" to others who will benefit from something that you no longer need or use.

kaydee
August 8th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I've been working on downsizing my "horde" for the past six years. I'm going through my stuff right now, once again. I know we'll move one more time, and it might be across country. I look at everything and say, "Do I like/want it enough to move it?" I find that I'm really able to distinguish between what I really want and what I don't by using this method.

As far as xmas/holiday stuff goes, I literally had tons of it. My birthday is Dec. 29, and for years after my marriage, my mother would flood me with 1/2 price xmas stuff as birthday gifts. I had to finally put my foot down, when we bought my current home, and tell her "I have a two story house with a full basement. If I don't have room to store more stuff then I have too much stuff. Please, no more xmas." She got mad, and really never gave me another birthday gift, but that is a gift in and of itself.

I have gotten rid of most of my stuff, and have not missed a thing -- nor have either of my children when they visit for xmas. I bought a 7'ft slimmer prelit tree (and put it on a stand that turns it) and I kept most of my ornaments which I've collected over the years. I kept my (very nice) creche which my husband gave me, a small fraction of my village stuff, a ceramic tree that my grandmother gave me, and a few other decorations including some vintage candles. I've gotten rid of tubs and tubs of xmas, easter, halloween, etc. I have not regretted anything. I have learned how to put limits on my collections. For me, the biggest thing I had to deal with was the guilt of getting rid of "gifts". But so much of it was stuff I'd never buy for myself, and I've just learned to get over it.

For me, as I've aged, I have realized that I like simple. I don't need my house to look like the inside of Christmas store, decorated from one end to the other. In fact, I don't want it to. Too much stuff bothers me. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy experiencing the collections/decorations of others, but I've realized I just can't handle it.

Ha! I could go on and on about this, but I should stop boring any poor readers. Anyhow, hope that helps.

Carolnnc
August 8th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks to each one of you for your thoughts, suggestions and experiences, it's very helpful for me. I like the idea of a wait and see shelf since I don't want to go on EBAY a couple of years from now and buy replacements of the same antique glass ornaments (at an outrageous price). It's so amazing that I'm thinking of the retirement years, just yesterday I was 21:)

bubba
August 8th, 2016, 10:42 PM
If you have children or grandchildren, I would pass them on to them. I'm sure they hold special memories for them.

laura44
August 8th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I moved last year after 25 years in the same house. I gave away ALOT of
stuff. I kept most of my ornaments but gave away the decorations that had
no sentimental value. I know someday my kids will have to clear out
my stuff and I only want to save quality items. When you donate you know
someone else will enjoy your old items.

geegeequilts
August 9th, 2016, 03:45 PM
We're planning to move & downsize as well. We had a yard sale soon after we moved here (I know..should've done it before) & donated our children's baby bed. I figure if I could let THAT go I could get rid of anything. I'll let you know in a few short (hopefully) months if I was successful. And speaking of Christmas, OMG, we went nutso when we moved here. Had a staircase we could decorate, a mantle...not to mention Christmas dishes, not to mention.....no not gonna. Good luck in your downsizing. Would you like to come help me, huh, pretty please?

Gina

Kgrammiecaz
August 9th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I ditched all that I could. Gave all sentimental things and all the ornaments to the kids. They picked through other items they wanted to keep and all the old photograph albums. The rest was donated or thrown out. I still have my Wizard of Oz Barbie dolls and a bunch of books I wanted to still hang on to. No regrets here. I live in a one bedroom apartment and love the freedom of less stuff!

grammaterry
August 9th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I remember years ago going to auctions and seeing box afterbox of xmas ornaments and stuff and nobody ever bid on any of it. Everyone has more than they need and some of it is just sentimental junk. That being said, as we age, the decorating bug seems to die off. For me, I like putting up the tree, just not taking it down. For ten years now, I have gone out in the woods and cut a "Charlie brown" tree. They are usually a little scrubby white pine and then, I go into the attic and I pull out what ever I think the little tree will hold (not very much) Usually 1 string of lights (I used to put 20 strings on) and a dozen or so balls. I don't even select the balls, just get them at random. THen, if the gc come by, they don't think its so strange that gramma doesn't have a tree. We are not here anyway, what with working at the restaurant. And I've purchased some of those huge balls from Sam's over the years that I hang from the ceiling and I get that done in 30 min. and taken down in about the same lenghth of time.
So, give em away...throw em away...what ever you choose and don't be offended that your children don't want them. They probably have too much money and are enjoying picking out the things they really like too.

Navy Wife
August 9th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Through our years in the Navy, I never allowed stuff to accumulate. We moved every 3 years and had a weight limit! When DH retired from that, we returned to our home in Memphis, and stayed there for 14 years. I accumulated quite a bit of stuff, and moved most of it to east TN in 1992. Since then, I have much more stuff, and we are downsizing for the future. I cleaned out 2 houses, and I don't want my kids to have that to do. I take it one area ,at a time. One closet, one cabinet, or whatever. You can use the method on Hoarders... a box for keep, throwaway, donate, think about. I try to keep the think about one as small as possible. As far as Christmas stuff, I haven't decorated in 5 or 6 years. We go to our sons' for Christmas. Last year our daughter was here, so we put up a tree. The boys and wives decorated it, and daughter took it down. I told them to pick out the things they wanted when it came down, and I have 3 boxes with their names and an inventory in them. I don't plan to put up the tree again, so it will go in a garage sale. The rest of the decorations that are left I'll sell, since I have given everyone what they want. I would put off cleaning out Christmas stuff till January since you are not moving right now. Then it will all be out where you can see and make better decisions. Then box it up and send it to them, and take a trip the next year if you haven't moved!

Carolnnc
August 9th, 2016, 10:48 PM
We're planning to move & downsize as well. We had a yard sale soon after we moved here (I know..should've done it before) & donated our children's baby bed. I figure if I could let THAT go I could get rid of anything. I'll let you know in a few short (hopefully) months if I was successful. And speaking of Christmas, OMG, we went nutso when we moved here. Had a staircase we could decorate, a mantle...not to mention Christmas dishes, not to mention.....no not gonna. Good luck in your downsizing. Would you like to come help me, huh, pretty please?
Gina

Gina, It would probably be much easier if we just switched houses for a week and threw out each other's stuff! Or we'd like each other's stuff, trade off and still be in the same boat.

lots2do
August 9th, 2016, 11:18 PM
To paraphrase that famous saying, moving(and downsizing) isn't for sissies. Throw in retiring into the mix and you really get some interesting times. Keep what you absolutely think you can't live without. In time, you may find you can let more of that go. I kept my cookie cutter collection a year ago when we moved. The other day, I went through it and was able to put 2/3s aside to donate and kept the rest. Now, seriously, I was wondering the other day if I donated a little mini tree or if I kept it. I remember feeling ambivalent about it but can't remember what I did! (We are still going through boxes).

Hulamoon
August 9th, 2016, 11:23 PM
To paraphrase that famous saying, moving(and downsizing) isn't for sissies. Throw in retiring into the mix and you really get some interesting times. Keep what you absolutely think you can't live without. In time, you may find you can let more of that go. I kept my cookie cutter collection a year ago when we moved. The other day, I went through it and was able to put 2/3s aside to donate and keep the rest. Now, seriously, I was wondering the other day if I donated a little mini tree or if I kept it. I remember feeling ambivelant about it but can't remember what I did!

Baking stuff I can easily give away. I baked and did pastries for 18 yrs professionally and I'm over it. I only have things stored for everyone to borrow stuff. Maybe I should tell them if you take it, don't bring it back. lol

TMP
August 10th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Geez ya'll are making me feel guilty. I have a ton of Christmas decoration . I have been married for 42 years and I am a Christmas decoration hoarder. I know I have too much stuff. The attic is crammed full ( dh says it going to come down and join us) .I absolutely love every single thing about the holidays. My grand babies go crazy at my house at Christmas they love it all. Maybe I can make myself feel different when they are older. I am not as sentimental about other objects but Christmas decorations are my weakness. My daughter has a doll collection at my house in my cedar closet. I would love to reclaim that space. I have finally forced them (grown adults) to take back their stuff they brought home from college or didn't have space for with the exception of that closet full of dolls and a trombone.

Carolnnc
August 10th, 2016, 08:23 AM
To paraphrase that famous saying, moving(and downsizing) isn't for sissies. Throw in retiring into the mix and you really get some interesting times. Keep what you absolutely think you can't live without. In time, you may find you can let more of that go. I kept my cookie cutter collection a year ago when we moved. The other day, I went through it and was able to put 2/3s aside to donate and kept the rest. Now, seriously, I was wondering the other day if I donated a little mini tree or if I kept it. I remember feeling ambivalent about it but can't remember what I did! (We are still going through boxes).

I think I just had an anxiety attack:) I just went into the kitchen and counted my measuring spoons. I have 59!!!!! Who needs 59 measuring spoons.....no one. I do a lot of baking for me & DH and I also can & preserve a lot so I have more duplicates than I really need. I am pretty good about not keeping a lot of "stuff but my two weaknesses are the Christmas decorations and my kitchen stuff. I cleaned out 3/4 of the Christmas stuff over the past two days and am going to do another sweep of the kitchen on Saturday. (I have to spend the next couple of days making pickles and jam and then rest) By Monday I should be cuddling fabric and in the quilt cave recuperating from the pain of cleaning.
It's been fun reading about others adventures in downsizing!

Granny Judy
August 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM
All this downsizing is getting to me. I don't think I'm ready to give up my stamp and scrapbooking stuff. I still make a lot of cards. Then there is my die cutting goodies... NO WAY!! It's mine,,,, all mine! (just like my fabric--NOT Giving on this one)

I love Christmas and could probably "donate" a few items,,, but leave the Halloween Decorations alone.... NOT even going there as I have already got a plan going for decorating this year.. I love to see the kids faces when they find our house...

But I'm not moving or retiring. . went down that road 12 years ago. And as long as I am able, I'll continue decoration for the fall and winter....then throw in the spring and summer!! I do have a "retirement plan". lol

geegeequilts
August 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Hey Carol, great idea! When do we switch? And I like your idea of swapping our stuff. You know, the old new ? And I'm only half kidding about switching, maybe. Where are you in the south?

Gina

Carolnnc
August 10th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Hey Carol, great idea! When do we switch? And I like your idea of swapping our stuff. You know, the old new ? And I'm only half kidding about switching, maybe. Where are you in the south?

Gina

North Carolina.

capentecost@roadrunner.co
August 10th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I hear you! We're somewhat in the same place in life. Will probably be moving in the next few years and we too are trying to downsize and get rid of things we either don't need or never use. It's hard. But what I have gotten rid of, I haven't missed. (I guess that should tell me something!)

MaggieSue
August 10th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Moved two years ago and planned to go through boxes and only move what I absolutely needed. Failed at that, put up shelves in the basement and moved all of the boxes. Now trying to do one box at a time......

geegeequilts
August 11th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Great! Road trip! Want me to bring Georgia BBQ or have some of that yummy North Carolina?

Gina

Snip Snip
August 12th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Sometimes I feel like I am being slowly crushed by my DH's stuff. He collected various things for years, then fell into a depression for several years, and couldn't bear to look at his stuff, let alone get rid of it.

Now he feels great, but rather than downsize, he is collecting more stuff. I feel like I am living in a "Buried Alive" show. It's not quite that bad....no vermin, but we can't do needed remodeling projects because his stuff is in the way.
It's very depressing.

MayinJerset
August 12th, 2016, 11:12 AM
All I can say is DO IT NOW!!!!

After the beginning of 2015 the plan was to clear out stuff room by room but unfortunately I got sick and it was put off. Just don't have the energy to do it now but keep trying to do it bit by bit.

Last Christmas we had a table top live tree with a string of lights and a few decorations. Have 2 huge boxes each with a med size Christmas tree and decorations that I hope to go through soon. So many things made by my sons when they were young. Many more made by grandkids that I would like to give them, also the decorations they have sent us from where they have lived. Only DS and DIL near by doesn't want anything so the rest goes to church's thrift shop - even the ones from Germany that we bought back in the 1950's. I keep thinking some thrift shop shoppers will be thrilled to have them and the church gets a few dollars from the sales.

Carolnnc
August 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM
The cleaning out was going great. It's a good feeling to get some empty spaces in the drawers and closets. Then Wednesday evening I had an armful of books and headed towards the box for Goodwill. Didn't see that DH had put the computer down on the floor and my feet got tangled up in the cord. Down I went, hitting the coffee table with my shoulder, twisting my back, jamming my fingers and spraining my ankle. Thank god for muscle relaxers and pain pills! I finally made it out of the bed today and can actually stand up straight. DH said, "well you know when you get to be a senior citizen you do tend to fall down more." I know where the shovel is but my back prohibits me digging a 6x6 hole in the backyard:)

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 15th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I understand about downsizing. After my 30 year marriage ended, I moved to a smaller place. Since it happened after xmas, I packed and brought only the Xmas decorations and items that I was attached to or had a practical use for. This was very uplifting. I only put up a hand-made pine tree from my dad, but I bought garland and put my decorations on the banister from basement to 2nd floor, with battery lights. The best was less. I kept this up in a new home with DH, until he bought a 7' prelit tree last year. He is a kid for Xmas. But no decorations I said, just glass icicles. It works. You will learn not to miss 'things' and really use what you have.

lots2do
August 23rd, 2016, 10:30 PM
The cleaning out was going great. It's a good feeling to get some empty spaces in the drawers and closets. Then Wednesday evening I had an armful of books and headed towards the box for Goodwill. Didn't see that DH had put the computer down on the floor and my feet got tangled up in the cord. Down I went, hitting the coffee table with my shoulder, twisting my back, jamming my fingers and spraining my ankle. Thank god for muscle relaxers and pain pills! I finally made it out of the bed today and can actually stand up straight. DH said, "well you know when you get to be a senior citizen you do tend to fall down more." I know where the shovel is but my back prohibits me digging a 6x6 hole in the backyard:)

Oh no! Had to laugh at DH's comment though, that computer must have jumped to that spot all by itself.

sherriequilts
August 24th, 2016, 12:09 AM
I have read this thread with interest and almost replied several times. First for the OP please understand I'm not saying you are in the same situation myself and my sister are with my mom. I'll just share our experiences with my maternal gma and my paternal gma and my mother and you can decide what you/anyone reading this thread wants to do with their stuff. I'm 55 and my mom is 75 for reference.
When I was 14 my paternal gma passed away and I was supposed to get her Kenmore sewing machine and a few other things. These were material items that meant something to me but I would've have traded it all to have my gma still here ... She was the one person who took the time to show me some sewing instructions. I didn't get the machine and my dad had to fight to get the one other thing she wanted me to have.
When my maternal gma passed she left a house so full of stuff we had to rent 30 tables that were 8 feet long and crammed and still stuff was on the ground .., the sale was at my house but my mom and her sister were the ones pulling all the boxes out of her house. The uncles (gamas 2 sons) wouldn't or couldn't be bothered or just couldn't acknowledge their mom had passed. So my mom, my aunt, my sister and other family members worked their you know what off to put this sale together. At the end, my mom promised me and my sister she would never leave us with that kind of mess. Well I can tell you my mom is leaving us with a 10 times worse mess of stuff. My sister and I have moved her 3 times in the last 10 years at our expense and despite 2 large garage sales she still currently has many many boxes packed ... And her last move was 2 years ago. I can't watch the hoarders show for this reason. So if you have an opportunity to pass something along to a family member you know would appreciate it ... Do it. If no one wants it, sell it, give it away, throw it away ... Just enjoy the memories you did have with the stuff and don't burden your children with it.
And it's hard ... 3 years ago I pulled out all my Christmas stuff and kept a few things and told my 2 kids come get it or it's going to donation. And I told them don't feel obligated to take one thing ... If you just want the memory then keep that memory so you and I don't have to move or get rid of stuff in 20 or more years. It was one evening of memories .. They took what they wanted and I kept what I wanted and sent a bunch to donation. After the memory evening ... So freeing ...seriously so freeing.
Enjoy what you have ... Give away the rest ... Don't burden your family with a ton of stuff. This is just my personal experience...
Sherrie

carolynrae
August 24th, 2016, 02:36 AM
I have been downsizing for 4 years...we moved from 4500 sq feet to 2000. I gave away rooms of furniture, sold a lot more for little to nothing. I still have to much. My husband suggested I start giving away things as my grandchildren get married...give them one of your antique dishes and or salt and pepper sets etc. along with our check. I have enjoyed it and when someone comes over and asks for something I give it freely....my one grandmother did this every time we came over when we got older she gave us something. When she passed there was nothing to fight over. My other grandmother couldn't part with a thing and when she left us her house and garage was stuffed to the brim. My Uncle put it all on the driveway and sold it at a yard sale and didn't offer anything to anyone in the family. Strangers got most all of it...what a shame. Sherrie you are right, I asked my kids who wants my dishes and they said they are not our style...one granddaughter said she would like them. I have given things to people at church, neighbors etc. It is freeing to give things away. I don't decorate at Christmas like I use too, so I have given many of my decorations to our children. I am finding less is more and I don't spend as much time cleaning and have more time for quilting. (We won't talk about what I have in my craft room). :)

Carolnnc
August 24th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I have read this thread with interest and almost replied several times. First for the OP please understand I'm not saying you are in the same situation myself and my sister are with my mom. I'll just share our experiences with my maternal gma and my paternal gma and my mother and you can decide what you/anyone reading this thread wants to do with their stuff. I'm 55 and my mom is 75 for reference.
When I was 14 my paternal gma passed away and I was supposed to get her Kenmore sewing machine and a few other things. These were material items that meant something to me but I would've have traded it all to have my gma still here ... She was the one person who took the time to show me some sewing instructions. I didn't get the machine and my dad had to fight to get the one other thing she wanted me to have.
When my maternal gma passed she left a house so full of stuff we had to rent 30 tables that were 8 feet long and crammed and still stuff was on the ground .., the sale was at my house but my mom and her sister were the ones pulling all the boxes out of her house. The uncles (gamas 2 sons) wouldn't or couldn't be bothered or just couldn't acknowledge their mom had passed. So my mom, my aunt, my sister and other family members worked their you know what off to put this sale together. At the end, my mom promised me and my sister she would never leave us with that kind of mess. Well I can tell you my mom is leaving us with a 10 times worse mess of stuff. My sister and I have moved her 3 times in the last 10 years at our expense and despite 2 large garage sales she still currently has many many boxes packed ... And her last move was 2 years ago. I can't watch the hoarders show for this reason. So if you have an opportunity to pass something along to a family member you know would appreciate it ... Do it. If no one wants it, sell it, give it away, throw it away ... Just enjoy the memories you did have with the stuff and don't burden your children with it.
And it's hard ... 3 years ago I pulled out all my Christmas stuff and kept a few things and told my 2 kids come get it or it's going to donation. And I told them don't feel obligated to take one thing ... If you just want the memory then keep that memory so you and I don't have to move or get rid of stuff in 20 or more years. It was one evening of memories .. They took what they wanted and I kept what I wanted and sent a bunch to donation. After the memory evening ... So freeing ...seriously so freeing.
Enjoy what you have ... Give away the rest ... Don't burden your family with a ton of stuff. This is just my personal experience...
Sherrie

I'm closer to being a minimalist then a hoarder. I realized many years ago my dear hubby has hoarder tendencies so if I die first my kids will have a big problem when he goes! I know that my kids aren't going to want anything but the quilts, antiques and guns so everything else I cleaned out was hauled to Goodwill! When my gran died there were stacks on newspapers and magazines to the ceilings and a small path through her house.