PDA

View Full Version : the saga continues......

bubba
August 4th, 2016, 11:33 PM
This journey is kind of like being pregnant. Lack of sleep, irritability, no appetite, and more. Yesterday, MM had to go to urgent care. From the catheter after surgery, he got a bladder infection. He is not a happy man. For the past two days it's all I have heard about. He acts like I have never had one before!! I just giggle.

Today, the urologist called. They have decided to put him in the sonar tub and blast his kidney stones. We see the doctor on Monday and the blasting will be on Tuesday. The next week, we see an oncologist. I was talking to one of my good friends last night and her mom has had bladder cancer for almost 20 years!! Every six months, she has checkups and about every five years, surgery to remove tumors and have chemo put into her bladder. They never removed her bladder and that gives MM great hope as that is what they plan to do, but he doesn't want to go that route at all. If I comes down to that or being killed from this beast, he will do it, but if he doesn't have to, he doesn't want to.

Has anyone here been blasted for kidney stones? I told him to expect to be taking time off work for at least a day or two as my friend told me it feels like you have been beaten by baseball bats. Is that true?

Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and if you have any extra sleep, I'd appreciate it if you sent it my way :)

meliswan
August 4th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I've had Lithotripsy done once on my right side and three times on left. It was not the kind that you had to get in the tub. The put me under a general anesthetic and the procedure took an hour each time. Each time was a little different, but really not bad. I was just a "bruised" feeling.

baskets4deb
August 4th, 2016, 11:54 PM
My husband had the kidney stone procedure back in 1985 or so when it was only available in 2 hospitals in the USA. His recovery was minimal.

Kgrammiecaz
August 5th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I will continue to add my prayers for you both. Especially for some good sleep. My brother had bladder cancer. It took a while but he gave in to his bladder being removed. They created a new one from part of his intestines. It was a learning recovery. It is over ten years since then and he continues to be cancer free. I have a uncle who also went thru this. He is almost 90 and doing amazing. I see only good news in your future.

Simply Quilting
August 5th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Continued prayers for you and MM.

bubba
August 5th, 2016, 12:36 AM
I failed to mention he has two stones, one in each kidney, each about 15mm!! That is approximately the size of your index finger, maybe a little bigger...if you knit, it's those big needles!

K. McEuen
August 5th, 2016, 01:00 AM
You should have made sure to get the extended warranty on MM! Poor guy has way more than his share of problems going on. Ive never had a kidney stone (thanks goodness!) but always wondered how that sonic blasting thing went. In my head I imagine it is like sitting next to one of those people that have to blast the bass in their cars ...

stationarymom
August 5th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Pat I wish I could send you the sleep you need.((Hugs)) are the best I can do right now.I will keep you and MM in my prayers.Make sure that when you see the Oncologist they answer all your questions and answer them in english so you both understand everything you need to know.(My Mother had one that wouldn't answer my father's questions). Hang in there

MBCA
August 5th, 2016, 01:37 AM
Praying for you both!

bubba
August 5th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Believe me, they will answer my questions!!! I went thru this with MM's mom, so I'm pretty well versed as to what is going on. The urologist was pretty surprised with some of the questions I came up with. He looked at me like he wanted to ask 'where did you come from???'

I will be there with notebook in hand!!

Monique
August 5th, 2016, 06:42 AM
AND you ask for something to help you sleep. You have to look after yourself too. Continued prayers.

Sandy Navas
August 5th, 2016, 10:27 AM
A tub of 'safe' sleeping pills, hugs, support, and concern arriving on your doorstep, along with some prayers thrown in for good measure - oh, and keep that attitude!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 5th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Thinking of you guys and sending positive thoughts and lots of prayers your way! Hope he enjoys his sonic blast and it puts an end to the kidney stone misery.

Grandma G
August 5th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Pat - I've shared my dh's journey with bladder cancer with you. They also removed the kidney that had the original tumor in it and he currently has 4 stones in his remaining kidney. His urologist has told us on countless occasions that he won't touch the stones unless they start to create a problem. He has also never suggested removing dh's bladder. He continues to monitor him every three months and anything suspicious he removes at the time of his office visits. Receives treatment that is now on a six month schedule. We love his doctor but my husband has told me that he would be open to a second opinion before he would let them remove his bladder. BTW - the cancer that affected his kidney was very aggressive and the tumor was classified at almost stage 4 cancer.

As a side note - we were told that smoking is a direct cause of bladder cancer. My dh quit 40 years ago but the doctor told him it didn't matter. The harm was done.

My continued prayers for you and MM. It is a very difficult road you travel.

Caroline T.
August 5th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Continued prayers for both of you. Don't forget to take care of yourself too.

snippet
August 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Oh gosh, I had never heard of bladder cancer before. My sister had kidney stones and they were painful. I snickered a bit about MM complaining about a bladder infection too. Men don't understand some of our pain do they?

I sure hope y'all can get some rest and get over this infection and blasting thing. A blasting tub sounds odd - is the sonar thing directed or just a general thing? I'd sure hate to have other parts exploding! I think of it like Karen does - sitting next to a loud bass speaker.

I'm so glad he has you to lean on!

auntiemern
August 5th, 2016, 12:26 PM
So sorry the both of you are going through all of this. Don't know about the blasting thing...ex hubby had them removed the old fashioned way. I would, however, opt for a second opinion, before you make the leap to have the bladder removed. That seems like a last resort to me.

Bubby
August 5th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Continued prayers for both of you.

bubba
August 5th, 2016, 04:01 PM
As a side note - we were told that smoking is a direct cause of bladder cancer. My dh quit 40 years ago but the doctor told him it didn't matter. The harm was done.

Neither one of us smoke. I have never even tried a cigarette, I think he did as a child. However, he was exposed to second hand smoke growing up as both his parents smoked. I will never forget the day she decided to paint the living room and dining room and we went over to help. She had taken everything off the walls and there was an outline around everything that had been hanging and I asked her why she didn't take them down the last time they painted.

MM shushed me (not an easy thing to do!). He told me that it was from all the smoke staining the walls on the parts that were exposed!! The clean parts were a nice cream....the stained parts were a pretty golden color.

My parents did not smoke and none of our friends do either. We avoid it at all costs. For some reason, both our daughters have the habit, but they don't smoke around us.

KarenC
August 5th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Thinking of you guys and offering prayers and good thoughts. Remember to take care of yourself too.

cyndiofthevortex
August 5th, 2016, 05:54 PM
This is all so terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish I could help!

bubba
August 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM
This is all so terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish I could help!

Don't worry about me!!! You have more than enough on your own plate!

I learned that I sleep well every three nights.....two nights of three or four hours of sleep, maybe a nap of two hours during the day and the third nigh, I slept for ten straight hours!! Twice now....hoping it's not my developing new sleep pattern!

easyquilts
August 6th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Continued prYers for you guys.... I hope you will be able to get some good sleep... It will make such a difference...

bubba
August 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I slept just over eight hours last night!! Starting to feel like a new person!

jjkaiser
August 6th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Sleep is good it certainly recharges your batteries and gives you the energy to start fresh for the day. You will get through this! Try to focus on the what IS and not the what ifs. Fear of the unknown makes you crazy and your head takes you to the worst possible outcomes and you don't want go down that road if you don't have to.

sew-what2015
August 6th, 2016, 04:01 PM
My prayers continue for both of you.