PDA

View Full Version : And it's a rant

Carolnnc
August 4th, 2016, 07:26 PM
When did we become a nation of thieves? My DH works at a large chain grocery store. In an effort to keep employees safe they are not allowed to approach anyone who is stealing. They can only get the license number of the car, description of the thief and call the police. Why they call the police I don't know because it never gets to court. People know they can get away with theft so they put laundry detergent around the outside edge of the shopping cart and fill the middle with steaks and ribs. They then walk right out the door. This happens daily!!! Employees also watch all day as people grab a bag of grapes, cherries or other produce and eat as they shop. I went in to have dinner with DH I watched a woman and her two adult daughters eating handfuls of grapes but never put a bag to purchase in the cart. When I went thru the checkout lane to buy a magazine a gentleman who looked to be in his 70's or 80's was behind me. He had only a bag of grapes and a bag of cherries in the cart and he'd eaten about 1/2 the bag of grapes. As I was paying he plucked the bag of grapes out of the cart and set them on top of the isle counter where the candy was. I looked him straight in the face and said, "that is wrong. You've eaten half those grapes and you aren't going to at least pay for the other half?" I turned to pay and pick up my bags. He poked my arm and showed me he'd put the bag back in his cart. I wondered if he wanted me to give him a medal. I was told by the cashier that it's okay to taste the fruit but I thought a taste would be one grape or cherry. Prices go up and up to cover theft and I wonder how people can afford to feed their kids. Does this bother anyone besides me?

snippet
August 4th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Wow, that is terrible. It's this sense of entitlement and getting away with it that is so prevalent nowadays. What a shame.

I guess I'm too focused on finding my things and getting what I need to notice others. I don't even notice when friends are shopping in the same aisle!

Caroline T.
August 4th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Hhhmm, I wonder if the store would be as understanding if I went to the produce section and tasted a few grapes, strawberries and cherries, and then took a bite out of an apple, a pear, a banana, and a peach and put the undesirable half eaten fruit back on the display?

"But I just wanted to taste before I bought the ingredients for an entire fruit salad!"

Yes, it bothers me too.

Simply Quilting
August 4th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Sadly, it is just not your dh's store that has that policy. More and more places are trying to watch out for their employees & avoid lawsuits so they just let the thieves get away. And the sad part is the thieves know that they can do it and so they do. Even sadder is the fact that moral compass is so low in this country that some people think they can do whatever they want. Several years ago, they had a TV show on which focused on law enforcement catching car thieves. Many of the people claimed the car was just sitting there with the keys in it and some tried to claim it was entrapment. The whole if I want it, I will just take it mentality.

bakermom
August 4th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Been going on for years. I worked in a grocery thru high school, nearly 50 yrs ago. Happened then too.
Stores don't want their employees to confront shoplifters due to safety concerns. i know one man injured trying to catch a shoplifter. Company(shamefully in my opinion) tried to get out of paying his medical bills because he violated company policy.

Midge
August 4th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Been going on for years. I worked in a grocery thru high school, nearly 50 yrs ago. Happened then too.
Stores don't want their employees to confront shoplifters due to safety concerns. i know one man injured trying to catch a shoplifter. Company(shamefully in my opinion) tried to get out of paying his medical bills because he violated company policy.

I worked in retail in my teens and early 20s. We are talking the 1960s here. We were trained not to confront shoplifters but to get their description and car license if possible. My first boss in a small business would ban people from the store if they had been seen shoplifting. That worked for a small business in a small town. Later in my job at a mall the same employee rules applied. They had plainclothes security working as "shoppers" to watch for shoplifters and handle the unpleasant stuff. That still goes on today.

So I don't believe that it is just people today who steal from stores or that there are lower moral standards across the board. People have always stolen things from merchants and always will. There's a reason why "Thou shalt not steal" is one of the 10 Commandments.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 4th, 2016, 08:52 PM
My close by retail stores are mostly put out of business because of this. I just don't get that kind of mentality.

Midge
August 4th, 2016, 08:55 PM
And another thing. Somewhere along the way store owners decided it was cheaper to let people steal than to hire and pay clerks and keep items behind counters. Otherwise we would have clerks assisting us like it used to be.

songbird857
August 4th, 2016, 09:18 PM
We used to have a JoAnn's that was a 5 minute drive from my house (hmmm... maybe it's not such a bad thing that it is not so close...). Anyway, I found out that they had to close because of pilfering :(

auntiemern
August 4th, 2016, 09:22 PM
My close by retail stores are mostly put out of business because of this. I just don't get that kind of mentality.

I don't get it either Jean...our brains don't work that way, so it is hard to understand why anyone would do that. I have had hypoglycemic attacks in the store before, grabbed something to wolf down so I didn't pass out...and took the packaging to the counter to pay for it. I would have a hard time NOT confronting someone I saw do this. This entitlement mentality is getting VERY tiresome.

bubba
August 4th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I get the stink eye from MM if I take a second blueberry.....

Yanna
August 4th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I see this just about every time I go into the produce section. Cherries, grapes, strawberries. I ask one of the workers last week how often this happens. She said everyday.

Hulamoon
August 4th, 2016, 10:35 PM
I never see people doing that on that scale. I'm guilty of testing a grape. I also don't buy a whole thing of celery. I take the wire off and take what I need. It's sold by the lb not by the bunch. I told these perplexed tourists that one time and they were like really? lol

LindaKay75
August 4th, 2016, 10:44 PM
You wouldn't believe what all happens in my grocery store, or maybe you would. They get thirsty and help themselves and puts the can/bottle back on the shelf. And always check your boxes, make sure they haven't been opened. Some are opened and one snack taken out and box closed back up. The elderly ladies were having their purses stolen. The store has surveillance camera but doesn't seem to do any good. Now the store manager has wised up and there is an undercover agent with cart full walking throughout the entire store all day long. I'm in that store every other day so I have caught on to this guy. Thieves get away with soooo much, everywhere it is.

kensington
August 4th, 2016, 11:54 PM
It's not just in the retail world. People think everything belongs to them and or they can take advantage. No one has a real line drawn in the sand of right and wrong.

My husband works in the corporate world. They are often taken to dinner or lunch by sales people who want them to buy equipment for projects. It's known that the meals etc are picked up on a corporate account, and there is this one guy... who ALWAYS gets the biggest, most expensive dinner, orders two or three appetizers, drinks and a couple of desserts, he eats one and takes one home for his wife.

It makes us ill. It's rude. The salesperson is not taking your wife to lunch or dinner... they can't. It's not allowed. But, he does it anyway. Who the heck needs a 36oz Prime Rib for lunch? He orders it. Same same... we all went to the Royals game... the hubs bought my ticket so I could go... and she bought their dinner... hubs bought mine. The guy ordered TWO pizza's and the Lobster Mac n Cheese for his self. Got the 8 buck drink cup and just left it sitting.

To me... He's immoral. A scammer. Rude. The day will come when the expense account will be gone and everyone will lost because of his abuse. So be it!

EsGrandma
August 5th, 2016, 12:04 AM
My husband worked in the grocery store business for over thirty years - he took away guns, knives, etc. and was locked in the office during a robbery. He purchased baby formula, diapers and food for families with young children and no money - of course, some people took advantage of him. He is a hero in my eyes - he provided for his family and not once said ugly words to others. He set an example for all of us - his children have all followed his example. They are not millionaires, but provide for their families and set examples for others. We're very blessed.

grammaterry
August 5th, 2016, 12:05 AM
I find that the better the deal you give people the more they expect or want. I do the shopping for the restaurant with several other restaurant people and some women that do church dinners. One woman just buys for charity. She spends about $300 a week and gives it all away before she gets home. The other day, she picked a woman up that was walking and the woman didn't have the money to fill her prescription for medication so my friend took her to a pharmacy and paid for her meds then she took her home and gave her some food. The woman then turned to her and said "I can't pay for my cell phone and I need it" No thank you, just asked for more! The more we give....the more the entitled want.

Iris Girl
August 5th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I do not understand this mentality either. Working retail I see it all the time. We are not allowed to do heroics and stop thives and if you accuse them you better know how any and what color are in their pockets. All we can do is follow them around and continually ask if they need help. In the hopes it will make them uncomfortable enough to drop the goods and exit the store. And the candy run near the register, people love to grab a soda or water and some candy to munch and drink while shopping or keep their kids quiet. Seldom do they pay for these items we find the empty wrappers on shelves , the floor and left in the carts.
In the past twenty years or more ago , my boss was able to ban shoplifters from coming back in the store. Now I don't think you can do that. Too many laws to protect the guilty and not enough for the innocent. Also food , drinks and pets were not allowed unless it was a seeing eye dog or the likes of that. Now anything goes. People spill crap and drop it all over and only a select few clean it up or ask for a paper towel. Knock some glass off the shelf and they keep going like there is a mini cleaner behind them to clean up. Very annoying.

Patsquilting
August 5th, 2016, 09:02 AM
It's unfortunate for those of us that do honor the commandments. It's not only the pilfering in the stores, what about those people that charge up thousands on their CC and then don't pay - of the people who steal our CC info and charge up thousands - yes, it all adds up and in the long run - we are the ones who are hurt as it causes our prices, insurances, to go up.

RockinLou
August 6th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I certainly don't condone this behavior, but I certainly don't think it's anything new... People have been thieves as far back in history as I have ever studied!!

tsladaritz
August 6th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Yes. In our area I have seen people loitering in a corner where it is harder to see unless you walk over there. I just loitered with them until they left. ;-) Then I went and told management. Here they will get stopped and if they know you are watching, they often abandon their cart. One advantage to living in a small town is a lot of people know each other. They police know when the store calls and they often get the people. It does not take them long to get to the stores or find someone walking away with 10 pounds of food in their pants. lOL But it irritates me also that so many think nothing of stealing like this. Sad to say most of the ones who do this are on food stamps or milking the system and feel it is 'fair' to take things because they don't have much money. Yet they are walking around in $100 shoes. okay getting off the soapbox you invited me on. lOL

tsladaritz
August 6th, 2016, 10:51 AM
This is the one that irks me the most. When my kids were growing up we made them work for every single thing. Part of that was the entitlement we saw around us. One woman was fussing about something to me when mine were in preschool and her comment, "Well we have to buy my son a car because he turned 16 this summer and my car has to last me another year". Really? Just really? I only knew 1 friend when I turned 16 who got a new car. Her dad owned a car dealership. Now everyone thinks they are supposed to do that. And a $600 cell phone.

Anyone watch The Middle? A tv show. It cracks me up, but it addresses this type of thing a lot.

CarolynK
August 6th, 2016, 11:03 AM
This brings back a memory. I was one of five that my mom always took shopping - yes - all five of us. We were in the produce isle, I was about 4 and eyeing up the grapes. Just too tempting so I ate one. I thought my Mom was going to pop a gasket! She laid in to me so hard that I've never forgotten it and never did it again! She didn't buy any grapes either.

Then, about a year ago, I was at Walmart and a young couple were in front of me with a full cart and about 6 cases of pop on the bottom of the cart. They never put those cases on the runner and just rolled the cart forward, grabbed their bags and paid for the groceries. I asked the cashier as they were leaving if she had rung up the pop cases on the bottom of the cart - she looked at me and said no. I told her they had several cases on the bottom of their cart. She went to catch up with them and asked about the pop and they told her they had paid for them. Clearly they didn't but she wasn't willing or couldn't do anything about it. It was so easy for them to get away with it. Sad.

MayinJerset
August 6th, 2016, 11:06 AM
My SIL proudly told people while food shopping she allowed her little son to open cookies, etc., if he wanted some and then left the opened package on the self, her reasoning he was hungry and the store had already added extra to their prices to cover people tasting products. Told her if that was true and people didn't sample stuff the store might lower prices. She's the one who insisted nephew to go Catholic school so he learned the good rules, etc., I expect the good rules didn't get learned at home. We never lived close enough to see nephew grow up but I sure hope at age 50 he knows his mother was wrong.

bhaggerty
August 6th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Agree with you! What a sad state this world has become.
There was a man stealing in an Apple Store and my DH pushed down a stool and the robber dropped the stack of iPads/etc he was running out with, of course he was not caught. My DH was proud of himself until the store manager came over and told my DH to never do that again! And that he could have gotten us all killed if that robber had a gun!
Apparently, all you are supposed to do is nothing. Don't stare at anyone because it might offend someone. Just keep paying more and more for inflation and higher taxes.