PDA

View Full Version : Son is moving to Seattle-needs inexpensive apartment

geegeequilts
August 2nd, 2016, 03:47 PM
He already knows it's expensive but is hoping to find something inexpensive but not in a "bad" neighborhood. Please understand I am NOT slamming Seattle at all. Every major US city has good & bad areas. Atlanta in my home state is certainly no exception. Son may turn down a transfer if he can't find something he can afford.

I told him I would ask my Seattle friends here. Also, what about public transportation? Good? Reliable?

Thanks,
Gina

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 04:06 PM
I keep seeing those commercials Apartments.com. Maybe start there.

http://www.apartments.com/?frontdoor=google&gclid=CKWgu4-2o84CFZFufgodrl0F2Q&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLDKgZC2o84CFYl6YgodiIMEsw

K. McEuen
August 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure that inexpensive and Seattle can be used in the same sentence. All my friends that moved there left because of cost.

Carolnnc
August 2nd, 2016, 04:30 PM
If it's a transfer within his employer he can ask if there is someone in Settle who can advise him on housing locations and cost. They may also know someone who is looking for a room mate (if your son is single). That would give him time to look for a place of his own.

Caroline T.
August 2nd, 2016, 04:32 PM
I agree with K. Seattle housing isn't really very affordable unless you have roommates. But the upside is there are many nearby towns that are less expensive and public transportation is pretty good.

The "Sounder" train has stops in several nearby cities and from the Seattle train station picking up a bus is usually quite convenient.

Here's a link to the Sound Transit system, that might help him decide if he wants to look at another nearby location to live, and what the commute might entail.

http://www.soundtransit.org/

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Is he going to be working in downtown Seattle? They have a light rail that runs from the SeaTac airport area to downtown Seattle, and will extend to the north by the time they are done. Roundtrips on that are $5 from the first stop to the last, and they offer monthly passes, but I don't know the cost. The company my husband used to work for had you pay $25 a year and they covered the rest of the cost.

From the airport area to downtown, the ride takes about 20 minutes, with several stops in different neighborhoods. I would have him look in Kent, Burien, Renton, Des Moines, Auburn, and Federal Way (that is about as far as I would go because depending on the shift, traffic to the station can be ugly). All the stations have large parking lots that are free.

There are a lot of people that just rent rooms in their houses, sharing the main parts of the house with others. Duplexes may be cheaper than condos, same with apartments. West Seattle is VERY expensive. If he wants to depend on the ferry, he could even live in Bremerton and walk on the ferry everyday. I don't know the cost of that, sorry. Tacoma, Lakewood, Puyallup, Sumner, and Auburn have the Sounder train that takes you into downtown Seattle also. It runs into Seattle in the morning and then back to the towns in the afternoons. Tyler lived in a one bedroom apartment (it is an older apartment) that was roomy for $560 a month in Tacoma. That was a great rent and included the rent, a parking spot, utilities and basic cable. Tyler was just 19 when he moved in and was the youngest person there. Most people in the building are senior citizens, so it was quiet.

What is he looking to spend a month?

JCY
August 2nd, 2016, 07:13 PM
It's not just Seattle that's expensive. The rents for apts. & houses in the Denver metro. area have skyrocketed! It's just ridiculous what they charge!

Altairss
August 2nd, 2016, 08:05 PM
The average cost for a small two bedroom apartment in Seattle is about 2200 a month and only a few at that price include utilities. They were talking about it on the news last night its insane. The rent is going up there at an alarming rate. My friends daughter is living near down town in the strangest apartments I have ever seen outside of pictures from Japan. My RV has more room. She pays about 1900 for a one bedroom about 550 sq apartment plus some sort of HOA. where is he working for most areas public transportation is the best way to get around. The traffic can be horrific around Seattle so if he goes to the outside areas to get a better price being near good transit will make a huge difference. Also cost of living in general is high there for food, utilities.

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 09:39 PM
I don't think food here is that expensive at all. We keep our utility usage to a minimum and pay on the budget plan bimonthly...but there are just two us here too.

Seattle traffic is the pits, both on the freeway and off.

laura44
August 3rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Our poor children, I don't know how they can afford to buy a home today.
My son lives in NY (very expensive) and we just moved from the San Francisco
bay area( very expensive). I think there is a huge price shock for anyone moving
to the big cities. Hope your son can find housing.

jjkaiser
August 3rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Isn't inexpensive apt and Seattle an oxymoron? Good luck to him he will need it. I watch HH all the time and can't believe how pricey Seattle and SF are!! But they sure look like beautiful areas to live in.

ucarrieme
August 3rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
He already knows it's expensive but is hoping to find something inexpensive but not in a "bad" neighborhood. Please understand I am NOT slamming Seattle at all. Every major US city has good & bad areas. Atlanta in my home state is certainly no exception. Son may turn down a transfer if he can't find something he can afford.

I told him I would ask my Seattle friends here. Also, what about public transportation? Good? Reliable?

Thanks,
Gina

Rent outside Seattle and use public transportation, bus and Sounder. Someone said it, "Inexpensive and Seattle can not be used in the same sentence!