PDA

View Full Version : Weird Food of the Night Owls

toggpine
August 2nd, 2016, 04:22 AM
Ok, maybe just this one.

I was sitting here going over our primary election ballot and enjoying some snack pack pudding cups. Yes, plural. Yeah, I know they are single serving size, but I can't seem to stop at just one. It doesn't help that they are joined in pairs either. Probably worse than the fact that I am eating a chemical cocktail with questionable nutritional value is the flavor. Tapioca.
Yep. I'm a closet tapioca fan. I have been known to make a package of the Jello cook and serve variety and eat part of it while it is still warm. I never seem to have the patience, or the forethought, to make the large pearl or minute type since it usually requires soaking the nuggets and a longer cook time. I can handle a boxed mix, 2 cups of milk, and 10 minutes at the stove.
You know, maybe I like it because no one else does. I can almost guarantee that if I buy tapioca pudding, in any form, it will still be in the fridge when I want another serving. That would never happen with any other pudding flavor or most other desserts. Hmmm.

Is there anything that you like to eat (foods, meals, snacks,treats) that the rest of your family won't touch?
How did you first try it? (Grandma Jones might be to blame for this one.)
I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
Hugs, Cathy

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 04:58 AM
Both of us love tapioca! Safeway sells larger containers in the cooler section and those are really good!

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 06:03 AM
Wasabi Peas.

Iris Girl
August 2nd, 2016, 06:55 AM
I love tapioca pudding but also am the only one in this family. I can remember my Mom making the large pearls homemade and no one but me and mom of course would eat it.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 2nd, 2016, 06:59 AM
I love tapioca! Haven't had any in a long time! Wish the grocery store was open at 5 am and I'd go get some RIGHT NOW!

MayinJerset
August 2nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
Rice pudding for me, although one DGD loves it too. The one I love takes a long time that involves stove top cooking and then oven baking in a water bath and ends up with a layer of custard on top of the rice. I could eat it for all my meals.
Wish I had some now but being on a low carb diet rice is a big No No.

Granny Judy
August 2nd, 2016, 08:38 AM
Cookie Dough.... I prefer chocolate chip, but any of it will tempt me.

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM
Love me some tapioca, too!! I quite often will buy those large premade containers in the dairy section at the grocery.

What do I store that no one else eats here and I love? PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM
Okay .....I first read this at 4:30 this morning & thought I was reading it wrong........please tell me what pearl and soaking nuggets means with tapioca pudding. As you can tell I'm not a tapioca expert. :D

laura44
August 2nd, 2016, 11:37 AM
I LOVE tapioca! Haven't had it in a long time. Right now I'm into the crispy fried
onions from a package. I put them in stir fry, on salads, on my burgers, heck, I
eat them right out of the package, yum! Full of salt and fat!

toggpine
August 2nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
Okay ..... please tell me what pearl and soaking nuggets means with tapioca pudding. As you can tell I'm not a tapioca expert. :D

Tapioca comes in a couple of forms. The Minute brand is kind of like a corn meal texture and the pearl variety comes in round "pearls" that are about the size of the plastic balls on the end of quilting pins.
In the case of the pearl type, you need to soak the tapioca pearls before cooking them, or you would break your teeth. I can't remember if the Minute kind requires much soaking. These days I'm usually aiming for the box of Jello brand which doesn't require any soaking, and minimal stove top cooking times.
Tapioca is a starch and is sometimes used in pie fillings to create a firmer set without altering the flavor. Especially in pies with juicy fillings like blackberry.
Great. Now I want pie.

Midge
August 2nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
OMG! Now I have to go to the store! Yes to the fondly remembered from childhood Jello tapioca. And yes to homemade rice pudding and bread pudding, too, with lots and lots of spices.

Does anyone else remember Heavenly Rice? I loved that so much. Of course, long before I realized how that bright red maraschino cherry coloring was achieved.

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 12:26 PM
Tapioca comes in a couple of forms. The Minute brand is kind of like a corn meal texture and the pearl variety comes in round "pearls" that are about the size of the plastic balls on the end of quilting pins.
In the case of the pearl type, you need to soak the tapioca pearls before cooking them, or you would break your teeth. I can't remember if the Minute kind requires much soaking. These days I'm usually aiming for the box of Jello brand which doesn't require any soaking, and minimal stove top cooking times.
Tapioca is a starch and is sometimes used in pie fillings to create a firmer set without altering the flavor. Especially in pies with juicy fillings like blackberry.
Great. Now I want pie.

Now I want blackberry pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 12:28 PM
Love this thread, Cathy.

I don't know Heavenly Rice but one thing from my childhood that I would love to have again (but only if Momma made it) would be the packets of Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup. The noodles were about half an inch long and fine like Angel Hair pasta. I'm sure there were things in there that have harmed me for life - but I still want some!!

rebeccas-sewing
August 2nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
A special treat when we were living in the Netherlands, was to walk over to the ALDI and buy a couple of cups of the tapioca pudding they sell. We both loved it. I see the U.S. now has ALDI stores. I wonder if they also have those tapioca cups? If anyone shops at an ALDI please check for me. If they carry them I'll be looking around the OC for an ALDI. When it comes to sweets there isn't much that either of us will turn up our nose to. However, Joe will eat 85% and above chocolate. I stop at the 70% chocolate.

toggpine
August 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Mm Mm! Pickles!
Eric made a bunch several years back. We can't seem to get the cukes to grow well here, so I bought him a box of pickling cukes. Oh jeeze! I think we still have some. We did find that 'pickle crisp' is essential when canning your own. I made pickled okra when I found some okra in Eastern Wa at a little produce stand on our way home. It doesn't get hot enough here for the okra to grow.

Wasabi peas are nummy in the rice cracker mix I sometimes indulge in from Costco.

Onion straws are delightful. I usually only have them when we go to Red Robin and I get them on a burger. Now you tell me that I can buy them for home consumption. Grrrreat.

toggpine
August 2nd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Love this thread, Cathy.

I don't know Heavenly Rice but one thing from my childhood that I would love to have again (but only if Momma made it) would be the packets of Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup. The noodles were about half an inch long and fine like Angel Hair pasta. I'm sure there were things in there that have harmed me for life - but I still want some!!

Do they still make that stuff? I know they make the onion flavor soup mixes. It must have been like a liquid salt lick, but I remember it as tasty too!

LauraP
August 2nd, 2016, 12:48 PM
My mama made tapioca pudding from scratch (pearl type) and my sister and I loved it until the boys told us it was made from frog eyes. It took my dad forcing us to go look it up in the dictionary before we would believe that the boys were pulling our legs. Both my husband and I like it now.
What he won't eat is cottage cheese and I love it. I won't touch homemade chicken noodle soup after my ex mil left the beaks and feet in the pot.

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
Great. Now I want pie.

Thanks for the answer, Cathy. Now I'm hungry for pie.........how about Key Lime Pie! Here's a super easy delicious recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15880/key-lime-pie-vii/

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
My mom made me that a lot too! She called it grassyass soup. Where that came from, I have no clue. lol

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 02:59 PM
Lorie, I think your Mom and my Mom may have been related - Mom called a lot of things grassyass.

Cathy - pickled anything - okra is high on my list. We have a store here where I buy pickled asparagus - pricey but since Al doesn't eat it I can stock up on a jar now and then.

Love me some cottage cheese, too, but large curd and there's a specific brand we get here that I like better than the others - Belafonte (don't know if it is local or not).

Just finished a bowl of my homemade Italian sausage and kale soup and it was better than yummy - but I'm still craving some pickles.

Midge
August 2nd, 2016, 03:09 PM
My mama made tapioca pudding from scratch (pearl type) and my sister and I loved it until the boys told us it was made from frog eyes. It took my dad forcing us to go look it up in the dictionary before we would believe that the boys were pulling our legs. Both my husband and I like it now.
What he won't eat is cottage cheese and I love it. I won't touch homemade chicken noodle soup after my ex mil left the beaks and feet in the pot.

Beaks, feet, all kinds of strange items in chicken stock. Years ago I lived near a predominately Jewish neighborhood, and could get freshly butchered chickens from the Kosher butcher. Beyond delish. Those strange parts are what gives chicken soup from real kosher delicatessens the unusually rich flavors.

Cokie
August 2nd, 2016, 04:00 PM
I like tapioca pudding too. My boys liked it when they were growing up. I've never made it from scratch, though. My mom bought the Jello stuff so I didn't know any other way! She grew up on a farm and when she left, I think she enjoyed the modern things like prepared foods, boxed mixes, etc. She didn't can foods or cook/bake from scratch much at all.

Sandy Navas, I've never heard of Heavenly Rice but in college they used to make something called Glorified Rice - maybe it's the same thing? As I recall, it was rice with pineapple or fruit cocktail and whipped cream (probably Cool Whip). It always had the maraschino cherries.

SuzyQue
August 2nd, 2016, 04:12 PM
My MIL made huge bowls of tapioca from the pearls for our family. She brought it over so often that I never learned to make it. She would bring it still warm and my kids would grab spoons when they saw the bowl emerge from her car. School, chores, music practicing all stopped for tapioca. If there was any left, they would eat it later cold. I miss that time, the warm tapioca, my kids gathered around, and my MIL. Thanks for the walk down memory lane..........now to figure out how to make my own! I bet it won't taste nearly as good!

K. McEuen
August 2nd, 2016, 04:20 PM
I could never stomach tapioca, it was a texture thing, plus I didn't like pudding when I was a kid. I think maybe my mom always scalded the milk a bit too much and it tasted burnt to me. Dad loved tapioca, calling it fish eyes, which I am sure didn't help any when they tried to get me to eat it. When dad had leukemia and was close to the end, he didn't have an appetite for much of anything. I told my sister, I know what he will eat and ran down to the store and bought a 4 pack of the snack pack tapioca. Sure enough, got him to eat one and a half of those right off the bat.

snippet
August 2nd, 2016, 04:28 PM
oh gosh I love tapioca! A Thai restaurant near where I worked served tapioca made with coconut milk. They were huge pearls and while I'm not a coconut fan it was delicious!!! When I was a kid, mom and I were the only ones who cared for tapioca, but that was good since we knew it wouldn't be eaten up. I haven't found any ready-made that I like though. I just have to make it myself. Then I can put whatever I like it in - like amaretto! :)

I'm a big pickle fan. I love pickled okra and the pickled veggie mix (I think it's called gardinera?) I'm on a hunt for a good sour pickle. Not a dill, but a sour. When I was in Florida, I found a nice 1/2 sour that I want to find near home.

I love Japanese curry. It's a comfort food in Japan and it does smell up the house so many are turned off by that.

That packet of Lipton chicken Noodle soup? When we were sick, Mom made this soup and stirred a beaten egg in it. It really looked like grassyass! lol I love it even now. Isn't it still around, but in a box?

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
I could never stomach tapioca, it was a texture thing, plus I didn't like pudding when I was a kid. I think maybe my mom always scalded the milk a bit too much and it tasted burnt to me. Dad loved tapioca, calling it fish eyes, which I am sure didn't help any when they tried to get me to eat it. When dad had leukemia and was close to the end, he didn't have an appetite for much of anything. I told my sister, I know what he will eat and ran down to the store and bought a 4 pack of the snack pack tapioca. Sure enough, got him to eat one and a half of those right off the bat.

Same with my aunt at the end. I don't remember the brand, It was at Ralphs (which we don't have here) and came in a tub. Then it was Stouffers mac and cheese. At least she was eating.

Carolnnc
August 2nd, 2016, 04:41 PM
Love tapioca and rice pudding. The one thing I love that no one in the family will eat is fried chicken gizzards. To keep me from cooking them at home my DH will drive me to a fast food place that's an hour and a half away for the best gizzards I've ever eaten.

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 04:43 PM
They still make Lipton chicken noodle soup.....I have some in my cupboard right now! Roger's dad told our girls that soy sauce was bug juice, and to this day, I don't think either of them use it!

I love pickled asparagus!! Not the spicy stuff though.

Remember the weird food post from a while back? I still love the canned tamales! Another food I used to like that they don't make anymore was the Gerber's Junior food of peach cobbler....that was soooooo good!

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 05:16 PM
Talk about weird foods (why did Cathy start this thread today - I've been eating everything I can since I read it this morning). We have a place called Green Dirt Farm near us - they raise sheep and make cheese and ice cream. They recently won a whole bunch of awards at some cheese convention or other. Anyway, they have a very soft cheese called Mayfair and it is a stinky cheese (my goat's milk friends will say that ALL sheep cheese is stinky). I personally love stinky cheese and this Mayfair is as near to Limburger as I've ever seen. But if you buy a chunk you'd better eat it all right away because nothing contains the odor in the refrigerator. Just finished Sunday's purchase - great with green grapes, too.

Snip Snip
August 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
I just looked up tapioca to see what it is made from. Taro root, or cassava root. Can be poisonous if not prepared properly. But of course, when we buy it is prepared properly. The website I was on said it is pretty nutritious and great for people needing to gain weight, as it is so high in carbohydrates. (so, a warning to the rest of us!)
I love it too, and remember fondly my mom preparing the old fashioned stuff for us.

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 05:38 PM
I just looked up tapioca to see what it is made from. Taro root, or cassava root. Can be poisonous if not prepared properly. But of course, when we buy it is prepared properly. The website I was on said it is pretty nutritious and great for people needing to gain weight, as it is so high in carbohydrates. (so, a warning to the rest of us!)
I love it too, and remember fondly my mom preparing the old fashioned stuff for us.
I worked at a hotel here for a little over a year and had to make a dessert that was taro/ tapioca. This was a high end resort(Sheraton Princeville) I had to cook and peel the taro and make this. I couldn't believe they were serving this. It was disgusting

http://daydreamel.blogspot.com/2014/07/taro-tapioca-dessert-soup-with-taro.html

auntiemern
August 2nd, 2016, 05:46 PM
Love this thread, Cathy.

I don't know Heavenly Rice but one thing from my childhood that I would love to have again (but only if Momma made it) would be the packets of Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup. The noodles were about half an inch long and fine like Angel Hair pasta. I'm sure there were things in there that have harmed me for life - but I still want some!!Sandy, we call that 'sick soup'. That is the only time mom made it...we still dovwhen we are ill.......for me though, it would have to be bread pudding. I LOVE the stuff.

Angelia
August 2nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
Love tapioca and rice pudding. The one thing I love that no one in the family will eat is fried chicken gizzards. To keep me from cooking them at home my DH will drive me to a fast food place that's an hour and a half away for the best gizzards I've ever eaten.

I married a man who shares my love of gizzards and livers--yum!

jjkaiser
August 2nd, 2016, 06:24 PM
Getting such a laugh out of this thread because I am Plain Jane when it comes to food and all these things you love are turning my stomach! Especially gizzards. Gross--ewww!! I do like handfuls of dark chocolate chips mixed with salted peanuts for a treat though. I guess the only weird food I eat no one else likes is olive loaf. Put that on a sandwich with cheddar cheese and mayo, yum. My dh likes lots of weird food and hummus makes me want to gag. I can't even look at it.

K. McEuen
August 2nd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Ok, love pickled okra and asparagus. I won't buy the pickled okra because it is like five dollars a jar and that is expensive. But, if a salad bar has it, and most out here do, I pretty much eat at least that much of it there. Olive loaf, ick! My sister loved it when we were kids. Mom would buy it, I wouldn't eat it, but I would open the package and pick out the olives and eat them and then my sister would complain because her olive loaf looked like swiss cheese and had no olives.

kimsophia
August 2nd, 2016, 06:44 PM
<<Is there anything that you like to eat (foods, meals, snacks,treats) that the rest of your family won't touch?
How did you first try it? (Grandma Jones might be to blame for this one.)>>

Radish sandwiches.

Iris Girl
August 2nd, 2016, 06:46 PM
Thing I miss from my childhood was toaster pizza. Buitoni made it and I loved it

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 07:59 PM
Lori, I would eat that soup!! I love poi too!! MM likes gizzards...blech!! One of my deputies would eat marshmallow cream and peanut butter sandwiches. I could never bring myself to try that. When I was a kid, my mom used to take bananas, cut them in half then quarters (so you ended up w/8 banana sticks). Then she spread mayo on them and rolled them in crushed bran flakes. I loved those things!! Sometimes I'm tempted to make some, but I just can't make myself do it. Another thing she made was lemon jello with grated carrots.

SewnByBee
August 2nd, 2016, 08:55 PM
LOL.....yea Milk and cornbread.....I'm the only one. I get it all to myself.

.... Wired I-D-K .... ...we like the Green Stuff.....which is Pistachio pudding, crushed pinapple, chopped toasted pecans and w/ or not/ marshmallows and coolwhip. Yummy,

Sometimes, durring football game times , some....summer sausage , cheese, and green olives and picked eggs.

FRIED Pickels

Fried Oreo's , Fried Creme Cheese

I love some heated peanut butter & marshmallow cream toast. Use to fix it for the kids all the time.

My favorite.....my mom made okra and tatters, cut up into small pieces, lightly battered, salt and peppered, baked crispy. I sure wish I had some.
And some fried green maters.....& Cracklins.

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2016, 09:04 PM
Bee said Cracklins! Making my mouth water. Loving gizzards, liver and onions, liver loaf . . . the weirdest thing I've ever eaten (don't count jelly fish as weird) was a sea cucumber in a Japanese restaurant. Don't think I'd EVER order that one again. Do love me some olive loaf.

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2016, 09:18 PM
Okra, pickles, jello with fruit ........blech! I have to say jello with fruit is just wrong on so many levels. :D.

The worst meal my mom ever made when we were kids was liver and fried squash.....in the same meal!
Thank goodness we had a dog to feed bites to under the table. :D. We still pick at her about that awful meal.

My DH eats most anything I eat but he know I won't touch any food with bananas in it.

bubba
August 2nd, 2016, 09:36 PM

.... Wired I-D-K .... ...we like the Green Stuff.....which is Pistachio pudding, crushed pinapple, chopped toasted pecans and w/ or not/ marshmallows and coolwhip. Yummy,

We call the green stuff Watergate out here. It is one of MM's favorite things to eat!! I like the clear Karo syrup on my cornbread (made from scratch using the Fanny Farmer recipe!).....and we always have it with tuna fish and noodles casserole!

Midge
August 2nd, 2016, 09:56 PM
OK, so more food confessions. Love me some large curd cottage cheese. And yes, Sandy Navas, your brand is local. I think my brand might be local too, it's Breakstone. What is Heavenly Rice, you ask? Cold cooked rice mixed with a large can of drained crushed pineapple. Mix in a large number of mini marshmallows and a small jar of maraschino cherries, drained. Add a couple tablespoons of the cherry juice. Then whip some whipping cream and sweeten it with confectioner's sugar. Fold it into the rice mixture and chill. I was allowed to help my mom make this at an early age because the cooking was done in advance. So delicious. Now I have to make some for nostalgia.

What I hated with a passion was gooseliver. My dad loved it in sandwiches. I hate liver in any form. Also souse, which my Grandma made from scratch and aged in pig's heads hanging on the cold porch. I shudder still to think of that.

K. McEuen
August 2nd, 2016, 10:03 PM
Breakstone cottage cheese is my favorite. I got it out here at the commissary.

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2016, 10:39 PM
We call the green stuff Watergate out here. It is one of MM's favorite things to eat!! I like the clear Karo syrup on my cornbread (made from scratch using the Fanny Farmer recipe!).....and we always have it with tuna fish and noodles casserole!

Pat......please tell me you didn't eat syrup & cornbread WITH tuna fish noodle casserole! :icon_shake::icon_surprised::icon_scared:

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2016, 10:45 PM
Okra, pickles, jello with fruit ........blech! I have to say jello with fruit is just wrong on so many levels. :D.

The worst meal my mom ever made when we were kids was liver and fried squash.....in the same meal!
Thank goodness we had a dog to feed bites to under the table. :D. We still pick at her about that awful meal.

My DH eats most anything I eat but he know I won't touch any food with bananas in it.

When I was young I was put into a parochial school. We had uniforms including sweaters with pockets,. guess where that liver went. lol

MayinJerset
August 2nd, 2016, 10:59 PM
This thread is bringing back so many memories - My mother didn't like home made chicken soup so we often had the Lipton one with beaten in egg and maybe some bits of carrots. Would never make it now as it's loaded with salt.

Like pickled stuff but I can live with out them. Years ago when you bought a whole chicken you got the gizzards and liver - gizzards got the heave ho and I saved the livers until I had several and I fried them with some onions for my lunch.

Oh No, Someone doesn't like pudding? We only had dessert on Sunday and chocolate pudding was one of the usual desserts we kids had when we returned from the Sunday matinee movie. My-T-Fin pudding had ads in the Sunday funnies that showed a large extended family hanging out all over the house while enjoying cups of chocolate pudding in short stemmed pudding glass cups. I always wanted our pudding to be put into those special cups but we didn't have any so we kids had to endure eating our pudding from Grandma's cut glass crystal bowls. As kids we all liked puddings except something called Junket. As soon as you took a spoonful it began to break up and turn to liquid.

Mother didn't bake much so I began making an one egg cake for our Sunday dessert, made a thin confectionaries glaze for the top and we thought we were in dessert heaven. That is until California Pies opened a factory a few blocks away from us. They made large deep pies for restaurants and sold the broken pies for 25 cents. They made the best pineapple cheese pie we ever tasted, never able to make a pie like it but that's good because like rice pudding I'd just eat the pie for all my meals and snacks until it was gone.

All this dessert talk has me drooling while I have my dessert of 2 oatmeal cookies, a glass of plain seltzer and some dried prunes. At 80+ it's time to pay for eating those desserts so now I have a low sugar, low carb, low salt and low starch diet. What fun but large curd cottage cheese is something I keep on had for lunch or a snack with fresh fruits.

Hulamoon
August 3rd, 2016, 12:00 AM
My mom used to make sugar sandwiches on Wonder bread. I had a feeling it was bad for you without seeing any nutrition facts.:icon_heh:

SewnByBee
August 3rd, 2016, 12:34 AM

Syurop on the cornbread ?
I'd rather heat the syrup and sir in some butter and dip me a biscuit in it. Sopping up every drop.

Fresh cracklings are fine.

You know, I never liked the Jello fruit thing eigther, so I was pleasantly surprised to like the pudding with pinapple, but I do. I love cooked pinapple too. On the grill or heat the rings in a skillet. ....yum.

toggpine
August 3rd, 2016, 12:59 AM
The only fruit/Jello combo that works is orange Jello with mandarin oranges. I bought the 4oz glad cups and make single serving portions for Em's lunch. She loves them.

I had no idea the memory lanes this thread would lead us down!

I remember trying pickled pigs feet when I spent the summers with my grandparents in Oklahoma. The were like salty jelly. Not something I'd eat again.
Now deep fried catfish and hush puppies, sign me up!

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 01:40 AM
Pat......please tell me you didn't eat syrup & cornbread WITH tuna fish noodle casserole! :icon_shake::icon_surprised::icon_scared:

Syurop on the cornbread ?
I'd rather heat the syrup and sir in some butter and dip me a biscuit in it. Sopping up every drop.

Fresh cracklings are fine.

You know, I never liked the Jello fruit thing eigther, so I was pleasantly surprised to like the pudding with pinapple, but I do. I love cooked pinapple too. On the grill or heat the rings in a skillet. ....yum.

I was raised on tuna fish and noodles and we always had cornbread, warm from the oven, with butter and Karo syrup on it!!! We just had it a couple weeks ago and my mouth is watering just thinking about it......try it, you will love it!!!

Did you know if you make jello in one of the round Tupperware bowls and mix fruit into it (making sure the bowl is full), seal the bowl and sit it on its side in the fridge, the fruit will go to one half and you will have half fruit jello, and half plain, for those that do not like the fruit in it? I always loved the strawberry banana jello with sliced bananas in it! I don't think they make that flavor anymore :(

LauraP
August 3rd, 2016, 01:49 AM
The worst meal my mama ever made was pancakes with tuna fish gravy. Swear on my soul she made it. Once! Nobody would eat it. We had a lot of pancakes cuz they were cheap and could stretch a loooooong way. Sometimes they ended up being more like crepes.

pcbatiks
August 3rd, 2016, 01:55 AM
The worst meal my mama ever made was pancakes with tuna fish gravy. Swear on my soul she made it. Once! Nobody would eat it. We had a lot of pancakes cuz they were cheap and could stretch a loooooong way. Sometimes they ended up being more like crepes.

Yikes........I just slapped my hand over my mouth to keep from saying eeewwww loud enough to wake up my DH. :D

I've never even heard of tuna.....fish.........gravy........just typing it is making me gag!

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 02:12 AM
Tuna fish gravy does not sound good at all!!!! In the 40+ years we have been married, there are only five meals MM did not care for....but neither did I!

I forgot to mention that when we got married and had the kids, I made the tuna and noodles one night and prior to this he had refused to eat it. Finally, he did and found it to be delicious! I was so happy!! Till I went into the kitchen after dinner and found the can of tuna still sitting on the counter! I had forgot to put it in! Now he likes it so well that even he makes it!

kimsophia
August 3rd, 2016, 02:25 AM
Tuna fish gravy does not sound good at all!!!! In the 40+ years we have been married, there are only five meals MM did not care for....but neither did I!

I forgot to mention that when we got married and had the kids, I made the tuna and noodles one night and prior to this he had refused to eat it. Finally, he did and found it to be delicious! I was so happy!! Till I went into the kitchen after dinner and found the can of tuna still sitting on the counter! I had forgot to put it in! Now he likes it so well that even he makes it!

That sounds like the best kind of tuna casserole to me! :D

TMP
August 3rd, 2016, 04:22 AM
I don't think I could eat tuna gravy. I have never had tapioca pudding. My mom once made scrambled eggs and brains. I am not sure exactly what kind of brains but I bet it was pork.
Mama also made pickled beets. I think that is the only way I have ever eaten a beet.

Neller
August 3rd, 2016, 04:30 AM
Tapioca: Yum!
Pancakes with tuna gravy: that just sounds horrible, although I did try to make Nestle''s Quik with grape juice once and that was pretty nasty!

What I love that my family hates, is mashed up graham crackers and milk. Break up a bunch of graham crackers in a bowl, and add enough milk to make it look like mush and eat it up! Yum yum!

TMP
August 3rd, 2016, 04:40 AM
When my daughter was small she loved liver and onions. I can remember being in the grocery store with her and she would beg me to buy pork liver ( other kids screaming for cookies not mine it was liver). I could eat it once a year but she wanted it all the time.

toggpine
August 3rd, 2016, 05:11 AM
LauraP, you win the award for the weirdest meal. I'm glad your mom only tried it out once!

I think they still make the strawberry banana Jello. Different stores seem to carry different flavors. I can't always find the black cherry one either.

bhaggerty
August 3rd, 2016, 07:55 AM
Love this thread, Cathy.

LOL, made that for my kids 2 nights ago!! Added chicken breast chunks though!!

Ok, I also love tapioca, but I really love Milk pie !!

bhaggerty
August 3rd, 2016, 08:01 AM
I worked at a hotel here for a little over a year and had to make a dessert that was taro/ tapioca. This was a high end resort(Sheraton Princeville) I had to cook and peel the taro and make this. I couldn't believe they were serving this. It was disgusting

http://daydreamel.blogspot.com/2014/07/taro-tapioca-dessert-soup-with-taro.html

LOL!! I have stayed at that hotel several times and eaten that dessert multiple times!! We have a time share there! I will call you next time we are there!! Hahahaha!
P.s. The dessert was good! Like tapioca!!!

bhaggerty
August 3rd, 2016, 08:03 AM

Cornbread with syrup is the BEST!!!!

Hulamoon
August 3rd, 2016, 08:52 AM
LOL!! I have stayed at that hotel several times and eaten that dessert multiple times!! We have a time share there! I will call you next time we are there!! Hahahaha!
P.s. The dessert was good! Like tapioca!!!
I'll find you some taro and you can make it at home.:lol: It's really itchy if you don't cook it right though.

mischiefkat
August 3rd, 2016, 09:20 AM
When I was the only child, my father worked 3-11. My mother and I would go to my grandpa's and she would cook supper for him. One of his favorite dishes was liver and onions. So one night she cut up a piece of liver on my plate, I tasted it and then asked for ketsup on it. Tasted it again then said "What is this s--t" To hear her tell it, her and grandpa about fell off their chairs. His favorite dessert was apple pie. My favorite to this day. Kathy

Sandy Navas
August 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM
Growing up I suffered from severe acne - all kinds of remedies were offered and everyone told Mom and Dad to keep me away from sugars. Therefore, when the rest of the family enjoyed pancake breakfast I had pancakes with pickles and ketchup. Dad found a place where he could buy a whole case of ketchup and that was what was under the Christmas tree for me one year.

I think I could handle tuna gravy if it was quality tuna. Not the stuff I've recently found in cans labeled white chunk.

We used to eat Wonder bread sugar sandwiches, too. But one of my favorite was Wonder bread with mayo, peppermint leaves, salt and pepper. Oh, and milk toast. Wonder bread toasted, torn in pieces, sprinkled with sugar and milk poured over.

What I would LOVE, Mrs. Little's mac and cheese - she was our lunch lady and made the best mac and cheese ever. That was the alternate Friday meal with salmon patties and creamed peas every other week.

SewnByBee
August 3rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
I was raised on tuna fish and noodles and we always had cornbread, warm from the oven, with butter and Karo syrup on it!!! We just had it a couple weeks ago and my mouth is watering just thinking about it......try it, you will love it!!!

Did you know if you make jello in one of the round Tupperware bowls and mix fruit into it (making sure the bowl is full), seal the bowl and sit it on its side in the fridge, the fruit will go to one half and you will have half fruit jello, and half plain, for those that do not like the fruit in it? I always loved the strawberry banana jello with sliced bananas in it! I don't think they make that flavor anymore :(

Pat, you can make Strawberry / Bannas, using the
strawberry sause, it comes in a bowl,
( like you poor on shortcake ). Slice the Bannas up,
In a container, poor the sauce over coating all or less, however you like. Chill for a bit.....it's grate.

My daughter and I love fried Salmon patties and biscuits, ....KFC liver and biscuit too......we can eat a bowl of battered okra by itself. ....

When I was a little one, my mom said I begged for
Buttermilk, she would feed it to me in a spoon, I still love a cold glass of Buttermilk topped with a sprinkle of salt & it's grate for your tummy too, for a nervous or ulsored tummy. If my lip gets a sore, means my tummy needs Buttermilk,
works everytime. ( an old Dr. told me that, as I had tummy trouble as a kid.)

I'm out on that pancake super thing....
...nope....notta....lol.

Now , Ill be in on the catfish too.....

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. This was fun.........
Bee

Hulamoon
August 3rd, 2016, 10:11 AM
I think I could handle tuna gravy if it was quality tuna. Not the stuff I've recently found in cans labeled white chunk.

Sandy have you ever tried Italian tuna? It comes in glass. I watched an episode on the Food Network and this looked really yummy.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pasta-al-tonno.html

pcbatiks
August 3rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Therefore, when the rest of the family enjoyed pancake breakfast I had pancakes with pickles and ketchup. .

Hey Sandy.......that explains at lot! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Sorry.......I couldn't help myself. :D

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2016, 01:01 PM
This has been fun - the forum needed a bit of laughter.

snippet
August 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Oh my gosh, y'all are making me gag with all this sugar sandwich, tuna fish gravy, and marshmallow sandwich talk!

I'm so glad I'm normal! lol :icon_mooooh:

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 02:30 PM
Cornbread with syrup is the BEST!!!!

Here's hoping you use the clear Karo syrup!!! It's yummy!!

Anitamae56
August 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM
I like maple or plan syrup or honey and mix it with peanut butter, I don't always put it on bread or crackers , just eat it by the spoon.

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 02:38 PM
I remember coming home from school one afternoon and smelling a delicious aroma! It was dinner and it smelled like a Sunday dinner!! I asked my mom what we were having. My tastebuds were atwitter when she told me beef! Wow!! Roast beef in the middle of the week...what was going on?? Well, as we ate dinner, this was unlike any roast beef I had ever tasted. Afterwards I mentioned that, and it was then she said I never said it was roast beef, I just said it was beef because I knew you would never eat heart! I could not get to the bathroom to puke fast enough!!

Another thing she used to make was creamed peas on toast.....blech!

My dad would eat saltines with the milk and sugar. I like graham crackers with butter on them. Another thing my dad always did was a slice of cheddar on his apple pie.

Our KFC does not carry that liver glob....never heard of it and I hope I never see or smell it!

toggpine
August 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Sugar sandwiches? I like wonder bread toasted with cinnamon sugar on it. Not sure if I could do it untoasted though.

Mom didn't make milk toast, but would make extra rice, and we would have that warmed with cinnamon and sugar with milk.

pcbatiks
August 3rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
Creamed peas? creamed peas? As in little green english peas?? OMG.......on toast or any where else that made me shiver! Blech.....

Caroline T.
August 3rd, 2016, 03:52 PM
Okay ya'll are making me not only hungry, but homesick for the south. I haven't read all the posts, but I do remember sugar sandwiches on Wonder Bread during the times when there wasn't enough money for even peanut butter, much less jelly. Peanut Butter and banana sandwiches when we were "rich", and grits with lots of butter & pepper. Yummy.

But my all time favorite, and still is my #1 comfort food, is my Aunt's corn bread baked in a cast iron skillet. She would add minced onion and a whole kernel corn to the batter. I made this for a GF once, she took one bite and exclaimed: "OMG there's CORN in this cornbread" and promptly refused to eat any more. Go Figure....

SewnByBee
August 3rd, 2016, 03:53 PM
The beef...... yea, ......they tricked me into eating Bambi, ......ok.....the best beef ever.

Sundays, we're the day for a nice meal. I remember, mom cooking all day, and we would usually have desert too. She would make this one only on special days, it was like a combo Dump cake / pinapple upside down cake. Very tasty.

We are going to make a watermelon fruit / mix.
Melons, honey dew & canlope + 1/2 grapes, strawberries, toasted pecans, use 1/2 watermelon as the bowl, let it sit over night. So fresh and so good..... has anyone tried this ?

Neller
August 3rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Creamed peas? creamed peas? As in little green english peas?? OMG.......on toast or any where else that made shiver! Blech.....

Creamed new potatoes and peas! Yum, yum, yum!

pcbatiks
August 3rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Okay ya'll are making me not only hungry, but homesick for the south. I haven't read all the posts, but I do remember sugar sandwiches on Wonder Bread during the times when there wasn't enough money for even peanut butter, much less jelly. Peanut Butter and banana sandwiches when we were "rich", and grits with lots of butter & pepper. Yummy.

But my all time favorite, and still is my #1 comfort food, is my Aunt's corn bread baked in a cast iron skillet. She would add minced onion and a whole kernel corn to the batter. I made this for a GF once, she took one bite and exclaimed: "OMG there's CORN in this cornbread" and promptly refused to eat any more. Go Figure....

Grits! Yay......I love grits.....and Caroline I agree they have to have lots of butter, pepper and salt..........yummy!

pcbatiks
August 3rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
Creamed new potatoes and peas! Yum, yum, yum!

Okay Nancy........that's just a waste of good creamed potatoes....... :D

quiltingaway
August 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM

I love this! And we call it the green stuff too :)

Carol336
August 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM
Lorie, I think your Mom and my Mom may have been related - Mom called a lot of things grassyass.

Cathy - pickled anything - okra is high on my list. We have a store here where I buy pickled asparagus - pricey but since Al doesn't eat it I can stock up on a jar now and then.

Love me some cottage cheese, too, but large curd and there's a specific brand we get here that I like better than the others - Belafonte (don't know if it is local or not).

Just finished a bowl of my homemade Italian sausage and kale soup and it was better than yummy - but I'm still craving some pickles.

Oh yum....I love me some of Sandy Navas' homemade italian sausage and kale soup!!!!!

quiltingaway
August 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM
Getting such a laugh out of this thread because I am Plain Jane when it comes to food and all these things you love are turning my stomach! Especially gizzards. Gross--ewww!! I do like handfuls of dark chocolate chips mixed with salted peanuts for a treat though. I guess the only weird food I eat no one else likes is olive loaf. Put that on a sandwich with cheddar cheese and mayo, yum. My dh likes lots of weird food and hummus makes me want to gag. I can't even look at it.

I love hummus! And hated the olive loaf growing up :) My son and his family eat really healthy and I often joke that the grandkids are probably the only ones who take hummus and veggies for their school lunch.

Sandy Navas
August 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
Packing some peas to ship to our LA (aka Louisiana) friend . . . watch out, Pam!

Mom always made extra grits and would put the leftovers in a bread pan and into the refrigerator. The next morning she'd slice and fry the grits and we'd eat them with butter and syrup.

One of my very favorite meals that Mom made was fried catfish, cottage cheese and Van Camps pork and beans alongside some homemade cole slaw (made with a homemade dressing and always had chopped tomatoes in it).

Oh, and we at peanut butter with pickles.

Mom, in her waning years, belonged to a Senior Citizens' Group and they had a pot luck once a month. Mom always took her favorite strawberry jello with fruit cocktail. One time, not finding any fruit cocktail in her cabinet, she used canned sweet potatoes. She was totally miffed because no one at it. She finished it - though I think it took her over a week - she couldn't get anyone else to even try it.

Going to try to find some tuna in glass though.

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM
Oh yes.......fried corned meal mush is the best!!! I don't make it from scratch, but buy it in tubes at the store. Slice it up, dredge it in flour and fry it in coconut oil! Then top it off with butter and real maple syrup......

.......wondering if I have any in the fridge now!

Cokie
August 3rd, 2016, 05:58 PM
I had forgotten about sugar sandwiches! I was at my doctor's office the other day after I got out of the hospital, and I told him I hoped to never eat jello again - I was on a clear liquid diet for several days and I got jello for 3 meals/day! He said that when he was a boy, he got jello and applesauce when he was sick, and to this day if someone gives him jello or applesauce he thinks he must not be feeling well! I told him that the applesauce was OK with me, that I didn't remember Mom giving me that when I was sick as a girl. He asked what she gave me and I said, "Milk toast." He said, "What's that? Toast with milk on it?" So I had to explain. This thread has been so much fun to read and like others have said, it has brought back some good memories.

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM
When we were sick, we got tea or 7Up.....to this day drinking 7Up or Sprite makes me want to be sick!

kimsophia
August 3rd, 2016, 06:58 PM
7-Up and crackers! :)

Hulamoon
August 3rd, 2016, 07:06 PM
7-Up and crackers! :)

That was my go-to for tummy aches for me and the kids. Alka seltzer made me throw up.

bubba
August 3rd, 2016, 07:12 PM
My mush was bad....had to crack open a can of my tamales and followed it up w/pumpkin pie and whipping cream!

kimsophia
August 3rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
That was my go-to for tummy aches for me and the kids. Alka seltzer made me throw up.

I could not stomach Alka-Seltzer until my thirties. Even then I only took the kind for colds that had an orange flavor to it. They also made a cherry flavor. I have gotten to the point where I can take the original flavor.

I had a conversation once online with an East coast native about Fluffernutters. I had no idea what she was talking about...turns out that we didn't have one component in Iowa grocery stores. It is peanut butter sandwiches with a product called marshmallow fluff, which she explained is not marshmallow creme (which we have here). However, when I look online it says they are made with marshmallow creme, so who knows...

snippet
August 4th, 2016, 02:43 AM
7up sherberts were one of our favorite sick foods.