PDA

View Full Version : It's Wednesday and I am back BUT!

Monique
July 27th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Good morning, as it is still morning. Made it there and back safely. What a nice slice of heaven it was. Lots of food, lots of fishing, great company.

I do have to tell the story though. Monday night, boys just in from fishing, getting dark and young lady runs into the camp. Accident, down the road. Les, Joel, me and the young woman take off in the van. I am there because she speaks French. I start to ask questions, how far, how long ago. She is wearing work boots. She thinks about an hour ago, it is probably 3-4 miles up the road. We come to spot, 4-wheeler overturned on top of the young man, only his legs sticking out. We call out to him, no movement. The three of us roll the machine off of him. Sadly, he is dead. No vital signs. So we go the next camp, no one there. Turn around, and head back. Get to the accident site, another vehicle has arrived. Joel and Les get out but again he speaks french. They call me out and Les stays with the young lady, who keeps repeating I kept asking him to slow down. The man knows the victim, was actually staying at his camp across the lake. He seems more concerned with his 4 wheeler than the dead man. HE asked ME what do we do next? You have to drive till you get cell phone reception and call 911. Should we stay with the victim, he says no, there is nothing more to do here. The young lady, terribly shaken up and upset gets into his truck and they drive off. I have a blanket in the van and we cover him. We head back to camp, no of us hungry but shaken.

I can tell you that I have that image burned in my head right now. I read in a paper today that he was 37 although I would have given him early 20's. Such a tragedy, neither was wearing helmets, and she had taken off his boots to wear and run for help. She is very lucky to be alive.

Thanks for listening, I just had to get that off my chest.

toggpine
July 27th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Ugh! That sounds like an unpleasant way to spend a vacation.
I'm glad you made it home safely.

We are expecting hot weather here today, but thankfully the marine layer rolled in overnight and has held off some of the heat this morning. I need to go finish picking the blueberries while it is still cool. I'm not looking forward to the heat in the kitchen this afternoon as I process all of the peaches and raspberries, but I don't want them to go to waste either.

I've made progress on the machine quilting, but not as much on the hand quilting. I am thinking about trying the new M* thread since it's on the daily deal. Anyone else try it?
Well, those blues aren't picking themselves, catch you later!

auntiemern
July 27th, 2016, 01:19 PM
So sorry you had such a terrible ending to your otherwise, wonderful trip. How very sad.

Bubby
July 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM
OMG Monique....what a tragedy and what a trauma for you and your group. It sounds there was nothing that could be done. The young woman is quite fortunate to be alive. You are home now and you can focus on other things....(((HUGS)))

Lori63
July 27th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Oh my Monique, what a sad thing to have witnessed. I work for an ambulance service, doing the billing. I always wonder how our medics do it, seeing things like that everyday. Glad you are home safe.

Hulamoon
July 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM
What a sad event. I would have that etched in my mind too. And I do.

When I was very young we had one of those camper trucks and we were winding around a mountain on a narrow dirt road. Some guy sped around us and when we got caught up his car was upside down. I never saw a body, but a blanket. You brought back a sad memory. :( I'm happy the girl is okay.

seaturtle
July 27th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Oh Monique, how incredible. So sorry for your experience. Glad to hear the girl is okay and you have made it home safely. Hugs to you.

Midge
July 27th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Monique, what a tragic end to your fun trip. I know this kind of thing is haunting. What can I say except laud you all for trying your best to help, and supporting the young woman who survived the accident.

Monique
July 27th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Thank you.

snippet
July 27th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Oh my gosh that is terrible! Sorry it was a sad part of an otherwise great vacation. So glad you spoke French!

When my daughter was a teen, the youth in our church took a yearly trip to Colorado to let the kids have fun in the snow. One year, their caravan of cars happened upon a deadly accident on a lonely road early in the morning. Although they had kids in the caravan, the adults had to stop and help. So they pulled off the road a ways from the accident and went back. They made all the kids call their parents and let them know what happened and what they did (some of the teens went back to help too). It became a sad but meaningful moment in each of those kids.

I'm still working through some PHDs - getting them sent off for quilting, making binding, labels, etc. All that leftover stuff that prevents the tops from really being finished. In between that, I've also been working on that Stargello. I got the center appliqued, and then I sandwiched the thing to batting and backing. I need to quilt it, but I need to wash out the basting spray and start over. My friend is too helpful and got some bad wrinkles in it and then pressed it down so hard the batting is practically fused to the fabric. I need to remember not to sandwich while she's around.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 27th, 2016, 04:20 PM
That is so sad! Not a good ending to a nice vacation.

Monique
July 27th, 2016, 05:31 PM
What a sad event. I would have that etched in my mind too. And I do.

When I was very young we had one of those camper trucks and we were winding around a mountain on a narrow dirt road. Some guy sped around us and when we got caught up his car was upside down. I never saw a body, but a blanket. You brought back a sad memory. :( I'm happy the girl is okay.

I am sorry Lorie.

quiltingtrish
July 27th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Oh Monique - how awful. There was a reason you were there - I am glad the girl found you all to help her even though it didn't turn out well.

rebeccas-sewing
July 27th, 2016, 07:21 PM
What a tragedy! I'm glad you had a good time on your vacation, but a shame it ended with such a traumatic experience. It's always so sad to hear of young folks taking chances thinking they are invincible. Glad you're home safe and sound. Did you catch any fish? Girl, where are the photos? Tell us more about the happier side of your time away.

Monique
July 27th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Mud pout and bass on a red devil.