PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Public Library & Book Donations

JCY
July 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM
In a previous thread, someone suggested making book donations to the Hamilton Public Library. I e-m'd them on July 20 & got a response today from Karie Cooley, the library director:

"In response to your e-mail, yes do accept book donations but with over 32,000 items in circulation, those donations must be cross-referenced against our current library holdings. If the book can augment our existing inventory, it is catalogued and shelved. If the donated book does not meet the criterion, it is sold in our library book sale and the funds from our sale are used to purchase new books. As a small library, we do rely heavily on book donations and the funds made on our book sale so donation is accepted.

"It gives me great pleasure to see someone show interest in our library, so I would like to tell you a little bit about us. This library features a children's section with books and interactive toys, a juvenile reading section, a young adult reading section, a large print reading section, an adult fiction section, and non-fiction section. We also have a collection of DVDs for patrons, four stationary computers, two laptops, and five tablets. We have story time during the school months and a summer reading program in the summer.

"We have frequent visitors from out of town who stop by while visiting the Missouri Star Quilt, should you be one of those visitors, please stop by and see us. We would love to meet you and personally express our thanks for your gracious offer to help our community library! Truly, Karie Cooley , Director."

So there you have it, folks. I think if you want to donate books to the library, you should contact them yourself. I found the library with a Google search & got the e-m from their web site. I think it should be up to each individual to follow up on the donation suggestion. If you have books to donate & want to pay the postage, it sounds like they are accepting donations. But there's no guarantee the book(s) will go on their shelves; they might be sold at their sale to raise money for new books.

shirleyknot
July 25th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Either way, it helps the library, right?

auntiemern
July 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a plan...Since the retreat is so close...I will see if I have anything, and take them with me when I go then. Thanks for the info.

Midge
July 25th, 2016, 04:59 PM
One thing I've learned from years of volunteering with nonprofit organizations is that in kind donations, while appreciated, can be far less useful than monetary donations. Money can be added to other monies and the items the library has wanted to purchase for a long time can be realized.

shirleyknot
July 25th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Not everyone has money to spare. Something is usually better than nothing.

Midge
July 25th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Not everyone has money to spare. Something is usually better than nothing.

Take the money you would spend on postage and send a donation. Donate the books you want to get rid of to your local library's Friends of the Library sale. More sensible I think, but maybe that's me.

quiltingtrish
July 25th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I would think if you are in the area that it would make sense to donate books. Otherwise, any local library would love to have your books. I donate to mine all the time. First they check their shelves, if they already have the book they contact 4 other local libraries. If they already have the book, then it goes to the quarterly fund raising sale.