PDA

View Full Version : Saturday, December 10

Sandy Navas
December 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM
So many upsets in life this morning - I have shed many tears while reading everyone's posts. May those who are ill feel the love of God and his healing powers.

On a somewhat brighter note - I often have to come and rescind things - I got a call from Donna yesterday afternoon that was a true shocker. She had an appointment with her physician for the latest set of tests (they evidently did a bone marrow biopsy along with some other tests last week) and now he reports emphatically that there is no sign of cancer anywhere! He went on to tell her that the PET scans are notorious for giving false positives. Now I am totally confused. Why do they even use the PET scans if that is the case? Does this explain why he never made a point of telling her two weeks ago that she had signs of metastases? Did she jump to conclusions because she read the codes on her discharge papers? Why did he code that she had metastases if he didn't believe it to be true? I worry about her so much.

Making progress on my projects for the year end. Just signed up for Suzi's next swap (what in the world am I thinking?), and making a mental list of things I need to accomplish. No Sunday sewing for a while - tomorrow we take three of the seven girls to see the university's theater groups production of "A Christmas Carol", and next week it is Sunday lunch at Mom's nursing home. What do you give a 95 year old woman who needs nothing other than peace and comfort . . . she's already got our love.

Sending a great big prayer for comfort and healing. Sending hugs and warm wishes for everyone.

Have a wonderful weekend.

cyndiofthevortex
December 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear about Donna's scare - I'm glad to hear she is okay. What a lot of trauma to go through. When I had my tests done last month for a health scare, all the doctors I saw said that it was probably nothing. I thought they were trying to make it so I wouldn't worry before I needed to, but they were right, it was nothing. What I thought was just kindness (as if that can be "just" anytime) was good doctoring. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. I hope Donna feels better, both physically and emotionally. You too.

I'm getting my projects done as well, though slower than I would like. This head cold is making me dopey. Didn't you have this last month? I have to force myself into my sewing room but once there I feel so much better. It really is great therapy. I have one wallhanging done, two tablerunners and two left just to bind. I hope to baste the other two wallhangings today, then quilt them simply. They all should be done in time to enjoy them this Christmas, so I want to finish them all soon and get them to their new homes.

Our foster grandbaby went to the ER last night with asthmatic bronchitis. He was very sick but seems much better today. We are all tired from the scare and the late night. It's hard to baste binding under normal circumstances (too boring, not creative) but it's even harder when I keep closing my eyes! Baby T could use prayer for his health.

Would your mom like some flowers? I think it's a nice gift for an elderly person who really does not need anything. Bethany is also making photo books of her kids for all the grandparents and a great-grandparent. Or how about a pretty Christmas pin?

Enjoy a Christmas Carol! I hope the DGC don't wear you out! I know how that goes.

Warmly,

Cyndi

Loonwatcher
December 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I too and aching for all those with troubles or in need for whatever reason. Both here on the forum and all over the word. We just had a horrible tragedy in our community. The wife of a long time, well known resident and her two great grand children were killed in a head on collision with a tanker truck on Thursday. Needles to say the family and community is devistated. I don't know they personal but my DH does. He saw Eugene, the husband, yesterday and he's completely overwhelmed with grief. Poor man is in his 70's. If we hadn't had such warm weather in Nov. they would have already been gone to Florida for the winter.

I'm sending my prayers for everyone here who needs them. Speaking of prayers, I love the TV show Survivor but this season it drives me crazy that they are continually praying for God's help to stay strong and win the challenges and ultimately the game. Come on people....God has better things to do than deal with prays about a GAME. The prayers I'm sending here is what it's all about. I hope God finds it in his wisdom to help all those who need it.

Hugs,

Loonwatcher
December 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
On a lighter note...

DH is upstairs finishing the spare room. I was going to go start on my great list of sewing that needs to be done for Christmas. But instead I think I'll go pack up my sewing room in the basement so I can move up to the new fresh and light sewing area upstairs.....YAY!!! So no sewing today, just organizing and then I'll get to it tomorrow.

toggpine
December 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Happy Saturday!

Things to do today: Finish cup o'coffee & catchup here. Pumpkin bread. Dough for gingerbread & roll-out sugar cookies (needs chillin' time). Last load of our laundry from yesterday. Sewing on the Annie dolls. Cutting and sewing of some new Funky Friends for the birthday next week. Probably won't get to all of that as everybody is home today and I'll be interrupted 462 times, but I'll try.
I hear the tragic stories like Nancy's and think about how irritated I get sometimes when I am interrupted for something super simple while working on a project. (Apparently Mom is the ONLY one who can pour apple juice, etc.) I bet that family would be happy to never finish another project, just to have their family back together. All I can do is love my own crazy family, and pray for solace in the middle of all of that grief.
On a happier note, I found flavored marshmallows! They had "grown-up" ones of chocolate mint, cinnamon bun, chocolate, german chocolate, and a coconut covered one. They also had the holiday-shaped vanilla ones with red stars and green holly leaves. The most fun of all were the gingerbread flavored & shaped! the kindergardeners did a Gingerbread Man Review as their "Christmas" concert to their parents & family. It was soooo cute! If I can find the link, I'll post the video clip one of the mom's uploaded. Now if I can only get the little Miss to stop singing "If you like Gingerbread stomp your feet" as she stomps through the house, we'll be fine.
I am off to go tune in the Christmas music station on the radio and get to baking!
Love you all my quilty friends!
Cathy

HandsOffItsMine
December 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm with Sandy, I shed some tears yesterday (so not me, I feel but not a cryer). At least the migraine has eased to only a tension headache. My prayer list was updated and asked God for additional blanket coverage for all of us and our families. :)

Sandy, sorry that Donna self-diagonosed herself which is known to happen to CP over the years. Saw a lot of that with Mom's 9 year battled taking her to City of Hope and other hospitals. TG that it hasn't metastasized into other areas and she can step back and regroup as well has her family and friends. I know it's also a rollercoaster for you, her good friend! She's lucky to have you as many CPs lose their friends before they lose the battle to cancer.

Enjoy the time with the girls, I'll live through you. I had such a blue day yesterday about being away from the boys, but feel a bit better today. I got their Xmas photo card, the family looks so cute. Kat's belly is starting to show. :O

Cyndi, I know those runs to ER are scary with little ones. Prayer for Baby T! You're ahead of me on projects, heck everyone is. I'm so behind, I need to get going...

Nancy, prayers for your community. Yes, normally they would have been in Florida, but only God knows when it's our time. It's those left behind that have the pain to deal with all of this. The victims are with God in Heaven at his side. I know my Mom (almost 12 years) is without pain, in a beautiful place, surely playing slots over Las Vegas or Monte Carlo with her Mother and Father...winning many jackpots.

Now, Nans get a hopping on getting all that stuff from the basement up to that new sunny room. I want to see pictures...lol. I'm going to have to post a new one as well, not working off the ottoman and dolphine table any more.

Today I so must:

Wrap up gifts to ship, cross-stitch Star Trek Next Generation for SonIL, make Surf Board Stockings at least. Take meds for headache...lol

Enjoy the day folks! Ruby

Monique
December 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Sandy, sorry about your friend.

My doctor asked for a repeat of a chest xray. WHY!!! I get really scared because my mom passed away 5 years ago this day of lung cancer. He told me it was just a precaution, and he would do all the worrying. His words were "If I get worried, you will be the first to know". I still get paranoid.

Nancy, what a horrific tragedy. There are no words. I know the community will rally around this family.

Healing prayers to all of you suffering today.

Well I survived at the Post office this morning. Trying to get the safe open was my biggest challenge and I still could not do it without help. I was not meant to be a thief, thank goodness.

I made my homemade buns yesterday to take to Christmas dinner with cousins this afternoon. Hubby is not coming, he got a better offer!! LOL!! He is going to the Ottawa Senators hockey game tonight with friends.

I think tomorrow we are going to an auction sale.

That's it for today.

InGodzHndz
December 10th, 2011, 05:03 PM
It's such a crazy time of year, isn't it? Isn't the birth of Jesus supposed to be a happy time? But it seems like our world is constantly getting bombarded with tragedies and stress.
My prayers are with all of you that are dealing with that kind of stuff in your life!

My biggest stress at this time is $$ for gifts. I can make lots of stuff, but for the kids? I'm not making toys! Though I did make one Snuggie, with another one for the oldest boy, and then one for the hubs.

In our house today: My oldest son, Kyle, and I are going shopping for stocking stuff for the little brother and their daddy. We are also getting a birthday gift for the youngest, Drew, who turned 7 today! Gah...7 years ago, I was packing to go to the hospital to have the little stinker. I had a C section with my oldest (he was breach and early), so when this youngest didn't want to come out on his own (VBAC), I had to get another C-section.
SO....we are shopping today. And then dinner tonight with family.

pdjewelrylady
December 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
BIG HUGS and Special Prayers for all of you, my quiltylady friends and your families today and everyday!

Super fun day here :) I have "officially" created my first tutorial!! Polka Dot Party .... whooohooo!! thank you thank you for giving me the push to do it!! yipppeeee! Of course my husband says - oh you should make it a youtube video - no way - not ready for that - leaving it to Jenny and the MSQC gang!! hahahah :icon_heh:

Cathy! flavored marshmallows??? where O where??? i love marshmallows!! :icon_happy:

rebeccas-sewing
December 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Sandy - Flowers!!! My mom gets flowers from me. My sister places them on the piano next to her chair in the livingroom so she can see them every day. I don't know if she remembers they are from Joe and me but at least she can enjoy their beauty. I try to give her flowers that last for a while. I'm sure just your visits and the fact that you love her are present enough. I wish I wasn't so far away from my mom. I have a lot of guilt because I can't be there to spend more time with Mom and my sister. This is definitely the main drawback to moving away from family.

Glad to hear about Donna's good news. What on earth goes through these doctors' minds is a mystery to me.

Sandy Navas
December 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of flowers but the nursing home requests that we don't bring flowers in due to multiple allergies - plus she's in the special care unit - all patients with dementia of sorts - and some have been known to eat a few leaves and flowers when they slip away unobserved. Last year I did a lap robe for her. Guess a new sweater would be okay. Still thinking.

ElaineP
December 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Sandy, have you thought about making a bouquet of fabric flowers? I think I remember seeing some roses in a post on this form quite recently.

My thoughts go to all in need x

janluna
December 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
What a great idea Elaine! The flowers would never fade and die and the allergy thing wouldn't be a problem!
Sandy, I hope Donna will be ok. Are they going to check again to be sure? Poor kid, Cancer patients certainly don't need the stress.
Prayers for everyone who needs problems solved, and health reinstated. Hugs, Jan L
P.S. Ruby did you try Excedrin Migraine. It helps me, better than the migraine meds the doc gave me. Hope you feel better Honey. Hugs, Jan

toggpine
December 10th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Suzi, I found the marshmallows at Target. I haven't looked anywhere else for them, but they are made by KRAFT, so you should check the local grocery too. I found the red & green holiday shapes in the seasonal aisle, but the rest of the flavored ones in the baking department. Ours is a Target with a fresh grocery section.

I managed to get one batch of pumpkin bread baked. One batch each of gingerbread & sugar cookie dough are chilling in the fridge for tomorrow. I have a casserole in the oven and another in the freezer. Once supper is served (and cleaned up) I'll head out to the barn for evening chores, then I'm for the sewing room.
You all have a good evening! Off to make a salad to go with the casserole.
Hugs, Cath

quiltingtrish
December 11th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone! Had a great sewing day today. My friend and sister showed up to sew at church and was there from about 10 this morning until 7. I helped both of them to finish a 10 minute table runner. Very exciting since it was my sisters 1st project. Hers was actually supposed to be a quilted table runner that we started a few years ago and only got the top made before she got very sick. She decided she liked the 10 minute look one so much that she turned the top into one of those. I know it's sitting on her dining room table as I type. I got some quilting done on my huge snowman quilt. Ran out of the red thread I need so will pick some up tomorrow on the way to my dad's.

Anyone else watching the new Hallmark movies this season? I love these shows. Kind of takes you away from those hurting and some of the sadness of the season that are bound to be around.

Katie started a new job today. She is milking 500 cows. It took from 10:30 this morning until 5:30 tonight. Not sure how it works on after-school days - I think her hours run from about 5:30 until 10. She'll start sleeping better I think.

Got pretty cold today for the first time in a long time. I don't mind the cold, it's the snow I mind. I know they go together, I just look forward to Spring cause I know it's just around the next corner!! Those gorgeous flowers need their nap time too.

Well, long day coming again tomorrow so I guess I should head in.
Prayers for those needing them, my list is long but God knows it's never a chore for me to pray for His help.

Hugs,