PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Lovers

kziggy
December 10th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Ok Kindle and or e book lovers. I was sewing last night and I was listening to a very good book and I wanted to share with you. I think that some of you may like it. I have to say I am excited that my library is now doing ebooks More reading for me!!!! So the book I read is called the body finder. I wanted to share this info with you girls. Also wanted to ask you if any of you have made kindle covers??????? :D:D

janluna
December 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Mine is a KOBO. My husband bought it and a beautiful leather case for it for Mother's Day last year. I still love my books, and certain authors that are favorites I still buy the book to keep. I have so many books that they are everywhere in my house. Joe calls me a biblamaniac. I may have spelled it wrong but it means : a person who loves and collects books. I think he bought the KOBO out of desperation! That way they are in the e reader and not on the overstuffed bookcases he put in or the boxes of books I have. LOL Oh well, I could be collecting something that is bad. At least I can go back and read them again. I use my e reader all the time. Right now I'm reading all the Charles Dickens classics over again. I'm hopeless! I go through at least 4 books a week. I don't sleep much. So while Joe sleeps I read. LOL Your idea is a good one. People could make covers for blenders and mixers and toasters, etc. too. I made wallets for everyone one time. I love working leather too. I don't do it often but it's fun. If you do, people really like getting wallets and key carriers, and dog collars for there dogs. You can write the pets name and phone number right into the leather. There all kinds of things to do and give. I love bird houses for outside. My friend Carol works in wood and I have a giant parrot for my porch. I still have to put it up. I guess I'm going to have to do it cause Joe is too busy. He works so hard. He worries me. Anyway, I love books and people could even make book covers to protect the jackets. Sometimes they are more valuable than the books they cover. LOL
Sorry, I got off on a tangent didn't I. Your idea is a good one. Hugs, Jan L.

HandsOffItsMine
December 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I love techie toys, have most of them. However...not for my books. I like the weight of a good hardcover and the feel of the paper as my finger skims the page, the sound of the page as I flip to the next page as I'm engrossed to find out that happens next.

One of the hardest things of down-sizing and moving out of state was getting rid of 31 years of books, they've moved with us 13 times, normally to bigger homes or same size. They weren't going to fit in 700 sq. ft. - I donated them to my friend who has a non-profit bookstore that supports a prison library book program across the states. He was very happy to rent a truck, bring some strappy volunteers to get the boxes and boxes of books before we left CA. At least it helped a good cause.

Now I buy them at the thrift store in our little town unless it's one of my favorite authors then I'll buy the new hardback at Costco. Then the next visit I bring them back for them to resell and I look for new ones to buy. Hit repeat. :)

Maybe I'll break down and ask for one for my BD in June now that I rather have room for fabric and notions versus a book collection. LOL Space is at a premium in here and Don demands that I leave the queen size bed ALONE. Gee, men!

janluna
December 10th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Ruby, You are so funny! You wouldn't steal Don's bed now would you!?! LOL Did you ever notice that everything wrong with a female is because of men? There is MENstruation, MENopause, and my fav, MENtal illness! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

KiltedQuilter
December 10th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Ruby, seems you and me have the same disease! Novelitis!
My hubby bought me a Reader thingy, it has lots of great books on it but I tend to only use it when I am away(mum's, holiday etc). I am reading The Passage right now and it's the biggest book I have ever seen! I love shopping for books and have WAY too many(luckily my hubby is the same), nothing beats picking up a book!

kziggy I will have to google your book, never heard of it.

EDIT: Back from Google-land.... sounds good! :D

Nena
December 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Ruby, You are so funny! You wouldn't steal Don's bed now would you!?! LOL Did you ever notice that everything wrong with a female is because of men? There is MENstruation, MENopause, and my fav, MENtal illness! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

this is funny-but so true. Since I am going through this nasty menapause--I will be more then happy to blame it on the men!!!!

MRoy
December 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I don't have an e-reader, but I'm considering buying a KINDLE as a birthday/Christmas gift for myself. Kziggy, I've seen tutorials and instructions for making covers on the web. They don't look very difficult. Enjoy!

Marebear
December 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I LOVE my Kindle and couldn't live without it!
I love it since it is so light-weight - the reason I bought it was a 25 pound hardback that I wanted to read and couldn't hold. So I got a Kindle and never looked back.

My Kindle got me into quilting too :)
I saw the cutest cover at the Moda BakeShop and from there on started quilting and never looked back either!

That cover was my first dive into the quilting world. I made several and gave them as gifts. I didn't do the applique, but did learn a few things from making it, and fell in love with quilting too.

kziggy
December 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Oh those are so neat! My kindle has a leather cover right now but I like most females in the world would like more then just one!!!!!

tortugaquilter
December 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I am hooked on Kindle too. I have a leather cover in green (I am a greenaholic), but I did make myself a little green sack to carry my Kindle in my purse etc because I didn't want anything to slide down between the cover and the Kindle face and scratch it.

See Kindle opens up new possibilities besides reading. There are now some quilt books out on Kindle, and then I love the quilt fiction too. Merry Christmas!

SuzyQue
December 10th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I love my Kindle. My family surprised me with it for my birthday last summer. I read in it everyday. The print is so easy on the eyes, the weight is right, it always fits in my purse, it holds tons of books.......it is so perfect in so many ways. I have tons and tons of books! Bookcases in every room! Totes in the closets! And now, I am filling the Kindle! I have also been called a Bibliophile, Jan! My Kindle has a nice black leather cover, but I did make a purse with a padded pocket to slip the Kindle in when I am out. I have thought of making a padded sleeve, but haven't gotten to it yet. I never thought you would get real books out of my hands, and I still read them!, but the Kindle is very nice!!!

Loonwatcher
December 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I love my Kindle. Great for traveling and teh screen works well outside. Love to sit in the sun by the lake and read a good book. Still need to make myself a kindle cover. I did make a little bag for my kindle and iPod for traveling - just the basics I need while on the plane.

For all you kindle lovers, there's a facebook page you can like that posts links every day to free (yes I said FREE) kindle books or you can just go directly to their website which is

http://ereadernewstoday.com

Enjoy!

Lisaau
December 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I love my kindle as well and I adore pink so this is my cover that l've got for mine.... Its also in a leather cover

kziggy
December 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM
oh yes there are many great links for free books. I have a great pink leather case but I love hello kitty and I wanted to make a hello kitty case.

KiltedQuilter
December 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hello Kitty would be super cute, miaow! :D
http://www.smileycodes.info/emo/hellokitty/32.gif

mianmom
December 13th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I have a color nook and love it! I dont know how i lived without it!

JVO
December 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
My husband has a Kindle and I have a Sony. Can you share some of the free sites? The Sony I can borrow books from the local libraries, but not the Kindle. Are there free sites for the Kindle?

Loonwatcher
December 15th, 2011, 09:22 PM
My husband has a Kindle and I have a Sony. Can you share some of the free sites? The Sony I can borrow books from the local libraries, but not the Kindle. Are there free sites for the Kindle?

Try this one that I posted earlier in this thread. I've gotten almost 100 free books.

http://ereadernewstoday.com

kziggy
December 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
you can also go to smashwords.com sourcebooks.com and amazon.com and look at there free books alot of times they have good free books..

kziggy
December 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM
oh and anyone who would want to make me a pretty hello kitty cover I would love you forever. I have tried two times and had to give up. I could not figure it out. I cant follow sewing patterns and well that means no pretty cover for me.