PDA

View Full Version : Hooting and Spinning Night Owl @,@

kimsophia
July 19th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Hoot hoot! And round and round go the bobbins on my embroidery floss bobbin winder! I have over 250 cardboard bobbins filled and don't have all my skeins done yet...but I'm not buying a fourth floss organizer box...lol Good grief, I didn't know I had this much thread. Well, I did buy the 100 skeins for the Christmas projects...

Is anyone up hooting tonight?! The Chicago Bulls won their summer league championship tonight! WHOOO! :D I screamed! Four buzzerbeater shots and one overtime!!1

Andrea F
July 19th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Good morning!

There are bobbins made of cardboard? Are they espescially for embroidery machines? I just recently realized how expensive embroidery threads are and how many one would need - maybe it's good that I don't have a embroidery machine... lol

We had a quiet weekend, I wasn't feeling well and pretty much did nothing besides washing all the drapes. Today it's going to be hot (around 90F), in a couple of days it's already supposed to cool down again. I don't deal well with the quickly changing temperatures, makes me get headaches and feeling nauseous and dizzy.

Today is hubby's birthday. We're going to have a little barbecue on Saturday for him if doesn't rain.

Have a good night and a beautiful day!

toggpine
July 19th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I'm nearly in the nest.
We took Dad to a doctor appt today and it ate most of the middle of the day. I hate those kinds of things, but what are you going to do? I didn't make the appointment,but no one else has a car low enough for him to get in and out of. The transport fees are eating up a lot of $ if he takes a cabulance or medical transport. $75 for maybe a 5 mile trip to the dialysis center. He goes at 5 am and is there for several hours, or I'd think about taking him. It's an hour minimum commute plus the $5 bridge toll. Then I'd have to sit around for a few hours to take him home. What am I supposed to do with Em? Ugh.
On the good side, I am still working on the quilting when I can. Tomorrow is an AM appt, so hopefully we can make it home shortly after noon and I can get some more done.
Artco had their summer sidewalk sale and I found some cute patterns for the kids.to.try with the after school sewing class this fall/wnter. $2 or less was a pretty good deal.
Well 6 am is going to come earlier than I want, so, good night friends!
Cathy

bubba
July 19th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Andrea, the cardboard bobbins are not for a sewing machine. You wind hand embroidery thread on them to store it in cases.

Cathy, does it have to be in a medical transport type vehicle if you don't do it? Why don't they try Uber? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper. Even a cab would be cheaper than $75!! Is he in a wheelchair? If so, can he be rolled to the car, put into the car, and then once he gets to dialysis, would they be able to get him out? I have a high SUV or I'd go do it for you. Riding/driving a low car scares the crap out of me. That is a long drive and day for you.

We took a chance today and drove down to Lacey for lunch. Whizzed right thru the Ft. Lewis traffic both directions! Too bad it's not like that all the time.

kimsophia
July 19th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Yes, like bubba said! :D I have three of these boxes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054G6LT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't pay $9.34 for mine, though. They were $6.09 when I got the last two boxes. The pink thing pictured is a little hand crank and it rotates the cardboard "spools". I love the look of skeins of floss but they frequently snag when you pull out the floss and as the thread gets used up the cuffs get too loose and fall off and then you lose the color number printed on them. So it's kind of a messy hassle.

But I've never done machine embroidery.

I'm almost done with only about a dozen more to spin but I'm taking a break. My eyeballs are going wacky. Not too wacky to go play Mahjongg Solitaire, though!

Jane917
July 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I also was confused about the cardboard bobbins. Thanks for explaining. I know nothing about embroidery.

Sorry about the transportation problems taking your dad to medical appointments. We had the same issues a few years back with my dad. When the assisted living center could not transport, they called a Cabulance. I think insurance paid for it. I don't remember paying any bills for transportation. His transportation was not as far as yours, and did not involve bridge tolls. I wish I had a good answer for you. Our town also had a public transport system to take people with disabilities to appointments. We never used that service, but at least it was available. We did our own transporting to regular doctor appointments, etc. but if assisted living thought he should go to the hospital in the middle of the night, the ambulance was called.

On another note, does anyone have a recommendation for a well built lightweight backup machine to take to classes and in our RV? Trying to stay under $500, but I would stretch that for quality. Doesn't need all the bells and whistles because I have my Bernina. My Bernina is from the early 90s, works like a dream, but is at the shop for her tune-up right now. She is either getting heavier or I am getting weaker. It is time to stop carrying her around and clunking her about.

Andrea F
July 19th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Oh, I see. I was seeing paper made bobbin spools in my mind... I remember my grandma having strands of thick shiny thread for cross-stitching gobelin pictures now that I think of it. (And by the way, Thomas finished one or two pictures for her when she couldn't see properly any more.) I kinda didn't make the connection between cross-stitching and that kind of thread. Well, it's hot and my brain is sweating :P

toggpine
July 19th, 2016, 02:03 PM
My car seats are lower than Mom's SUV, so he can stand from the wheelchair, use the walker to support himself while he turns and sits in the car. Getting his feet in and out can be the issue too. I can slide the seat back to give him more room.
Most of his appointments are not far from where he is staying, but it is where we live that is more of the issue. We are an hour away with the bridge between us.
The insurance will cover up to $475 in transport fees. Mom is trying to get him on the Access line, but that can take a couple of weeks. Hopefully, this week she will hear about that.
Now if we could just get him to take a shower! I'm going to need to detail the car to get the smell out.

grandma nurse
July 19th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Toggpine, I'm wondering if your father is gone on the days that he is to shower? I believe that residence are bathed 2 times a week on assigned days. I would talk to the care facility about the problem.

toggpine
July 19th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Oh, he could take a shower whenever. They do shower twice a week, but there are no assigned days. I negotiated a deal reminiscent of toddler days.
On the days he doesn't have dialysis, he can have pancakes, IF he takes a shower.
For some reason, the dietician at the care center didn't want him to have pancakes. They served them to him in the hospital, so he doesn't understand why he can't have them.
After consulting with the dietician, she can modify his meals to allow pancakes twice a week. The charge nurse will make sure they are on the days he doesn't have dialysis, currently scheduled for Tuesday and Saturday. He agreed if he got pancakes, he'd take a shower after lunch. No pancakes, no shower. Refusal to shower equals suspension of pancake privileges.
Geeze!