PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Does Quilters Yoga

toggpine
July 15th, 2016, 03:24 AM
OK. So that is what I call basting my quilts on the floor. I'm on my hands, knees, elbows and crawling around on the living room floor with my bum up in the air tacking these things together. Now I remember WHY I get the tops done, the batting cut and the backing sized for it, then fold it all up to be dealt with later.

I pin the backing fabric with straight pins to the carpet so it is stretched tight. Then I lightly spray baste down the batting and get it all smooth. Finally spray basting the top on. Since I don't really trust the spray baste to hold while I shove, spindle, and mutilate the quilt through the little harp on my Bernette, I safety pin it too.

My hands and knees don't like it so much, not to mention my fingers objecting to all of the safety pinning. If I had a spare room, and several thousand dollars, I'd go for the long/mid arm and frame. It has to be easier on the back!

I have two that are ready for the machine now. I have a couple of small ones up on the shelf and at least one if not two more big quilts left in the stack. I don't know of the big ones will go through my machine. I may have to bite the bullet and send those out, or hand quilt them. Ugh.

The zebras were the blocks that were rejected for a block swap years ago since the center square zebras had 'faces' and weren't just skin prints. (I never did put that set of swap blocks together!) The other is a bunch of inspirational messages for a friend. Again, done, but never quilted. (I did iron it before I basted it!)

Dad is back in the hospital again. This time they had to transfer him to a hospital in the next county. (about 40 minutes from Mom when there is no traffic.) All of the beds that had a dialysis unit available were full. Olympia was the first available. This is getting old in a hurry. Another 4 units of blood in the last 24 hours. That brings the count up to 14 in the last month, if our count is correct. We might be a few units light depending on how many units of platelets they gave him. So we are back on that roller coaster again. Whoo hoo.
Now we are starting to worry more about Mom than Dad. She is wearing herself out going back and forth to the hospitals. We have been trying to convince her to stay home, or only go for short visits and get some rest herself. She feels like she needs to be there to keep him company and let him know we haven't forgotten about him. Fine, until we book you a bed in the same room! :icon_rolleyes:

What is up in your neck of the woods?

Simply Quilting
July 15th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad and Mom. It can take a toll on spouses so easily. Are there any places that she could stay nearby? We have several hospitals around that allow a person to stay with the person in the hospital or there are housing places that are similar to the Ronald McDonald House only for regular hospitals.

Lots of fun today in the pool and at friends' house afterwards. The children should sleep well tonight. The weather temperature wise has been nice around here. It has been the storms that have not been fun. I am not looking forward to next week when temperatures are reaching 100 degrees plus the humidity on top of that.

This weekend will bring the annual fair quilt show and bedturning which I am looking forward to. There are always neat and amazing quilts. The bedturning which is at 2PM on Saturday will be hosted by the County Museum and feature quilts from the past made by local residents.

Have a hoot of a night everyone :)

kimsophia
July 15th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Hoot hoot! Toggpine, I know what you mean about assembling a quilt sandwich on the floor. Ugh! I've seen some methods on YouTube where you do it on a table, with various clips. That looks easier on the back and knees, but I don't have room for a big table, so I guess I would be hauling everything down to the church quilting room long tables...I'll worry about that later! :P Another idea I have seen is to make it up in sections and quilt those and assemble them all later. However, I bought a bunch of 108" backing fabric so it seems kinda dumb to cut it all to pieces...but maybe not. It was rather inexpensive, compared to the top fabric.

I'm just cross stitching a St. Nicholas here, but my cat decided that it was snuggle time, so he barged in and that project got set aside. DH is watching recordings of physics lectures from Stanford. Currently there is a train moving near the speed of light and blah blah blah...I have three monarch caterpillars busily eating milkweed in the butterfly cage. And that's about it for excitement!

Quilt shows at the fair, now that sounds fun. I've seen them a couple of times at the state fair and in the fall the local Mennonite Relief Sale has a show in our county. I've never heard of a bedturning, though!

just4me
July 15th, 2016, 08:16 AM
What is a bed turning? You've got me imagining a whole group of people going in a procession to each others' houses "en masse" and flipping everyones' mattresses?!!!
How envious am I of your talk of pools and warm weather......over here across the sea it's been a bitterly cold day, dark and glum outside all day and more of the same expected tomorrow.

MayinJerset
July 15th, 2016, 10:15 AM
What is a bed turning? You've got me imagining a whole group of people going in a procession to each others' houses "en masse" and flipping everyones' mattresses?!!!

Funny idea.

I imagine a bed turning to be piles of quilts on beds and someone turning one at a time to be displayed and discussed. Sort of a Trunk Show but using beds.

Simply Quilting
July 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM
How envious am I of your talk of pools and warm weather......over here across the sea it's been a bitterly cold day, dark and glum outside all day and more of the same expected tomorrow.

A bedturning has a bed that has any number of quilts are laid out on it. The maker of the quilt or speaker talks about the top quilt, once that is done, they remove that quilt and proceed to talk about the next quilt that was under the top quilt and so on until they reach the bottom quilt. Sometimes instead of completely removing the quilt, they just turn down the quilt. Many times because the quilts are so old or valuable, the two people (one on each side of the bed) wear white gloves to avoid getting any oils from their hands on the quilt. The tradition stems back from when housewives would get together in a lady's home and she would show off the quilt work that she had done.

LauraP
July 15th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Night Owl, does anyone around you have an RV that they could park at the hospital so that your Mom could stay there? Most hospitals will provide a parking spot.

rebeccas-sewing
July 15th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Wow! That a great idea, Laura.

MayinJerset
July 15th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Cathy, Sorry to hear your Dad is back in the hospital. You know the idea of a RV is a pretty good one.