PDA

View Full Version : .....and they are gone!

bubba
July 14th, 2016, 01:03 AM
After dinner, I went over to Hancocks just to see what was left. Everything was gone!! So sad, so very sad :(

stationarymom
July 14th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Isn't it awful to lose a lqs. We have had very few around here in the past several years,and the one I liked went out of business.

tsladaritz
July 14th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yes, ours is almost empty also. Very sad.

jjkaiser
July 14th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Me too. Went to mine two days ago. Doors locked and everything cleared out. Do you suppose Joanns will be next??

quiltsRfun
July 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I'll miss my Hancock's. I've been shopping there for years. Whenever I start thinking about a sewing item I need my mind sees me at Hancock. It will be a while before I adjust to going to JoAnn as I seldom shopped there.

bubba
July 14th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Me too. Went to mine two days ago. Doors locked and everything cleared out. Do you suppose Joanns will be next??

No, I think Joanns is the winner of the battle between the two. They were a lot bigger and it was too hard of a fight for Hancocks.

toggpine
July 15th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Pat, our Hancocks was pretty dingy. I know paint doesn't make a store, but everything in there was that weird industrial beige yellow.
I was in there yesterday. Pretty much everything was gone then. There were 6 bolts of odd fabric, some even weirder yard, and some shoulder pads. I did pick up a T-shirt grid ruler. I'd have never paid $33 for it, but $3.30? Absolutely!
It is kind of sad, as I remember that being THE store for fabrics and odd notions no one else had. Grandma and I shopped there for some fabric for my dolls clothes.
The basic cottons got kind of sketchy and their flannels were pretty flimsy the last time I went in. Then there was the whole home furniture and decorations thing. I wish they would have stuck with fabrics in that floor space. I might have shopped there more often.

bubba
July 15th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Pat, our Hancocks was pretty dingy. I know paint doesn't make a store, but everything in there was that weird industrial beige yellow.
I was in there yesterday. Pretty much everything was gone then. There were 6 bolts of odd fabric, some even weirder yard, and some shoulder pads. I did pick up a T-shirt grid ruler. I'd have never paid $33 for it, but $3.30? Absolutely!
It is kind of sad, as I remember that being THE store for fabrics and odd notions no one else had. Grandma and I shopped there for some fabric for my dolls clothes.
The basic cottons got kind of sketchy and their flannels were pretty flimsy the last time I went in. Then there was the whole home furniture and decorations thing. I wish they would have stuck with fabrics in that floor space. I might have shopped there more often.

I actually shopped there a lot. Mostly for fabric for purse/bag linings. They had a great selection of notions and buttons too, and purse making supplies that were not easy to find elsewhere.

A couple weeks ago, MM bought me one of those bobbin winders and a dozen cans of the basting spray I like. I'll miss it....been shopping there since I was in junior high....many moons ago! I used to walk there, and that was before the 48th Street overpass was put in and I'd have to walk across the one on 38th Street! Two miles each way.

toggpine
July 15th, 2016, 05:24 AM
They did have a good selection of vinyl, oil cloth, and laminated cottons. They also had a wider selection of fake fur. I'll miss the option of shopping there.

RockinLou
July 15th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Ours is gone too, and I used to work there, so it's hard. It's especially hard because it was less than a mile away and now it's not a quick or easy 'swing by the store' kind of trip when I need a notion!! Hobby Lobby is next closest to me and I really find their notions to be lacking and sub par. Same as WalMart. The nearest JoAnn is almost 30 minutes away, though I'm wondering with the demise of Hancock if a JoAnn won't open up closer to the city now... It would be great! We used to have 3 hancocks in a 6 mile radius, surely the north perimeter of Atlanta could support a JoAnn!

tsladaritz
July 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Ran over yesterday and checked since I was there (next town over). Half the store is empty, other half is pretty bare. There seems to be mostly 'fashion' fabric (satiny, cheap pant fabric, etc) and some decorator bolts. I was sorely tempted with getting one of those at $4.50 a yard!

I did buy 2 yard minimum of 2 fabrics for fussy cutting that I would probably not have bought otherwise. They were normally $9.99 a yard.

They had a sign that said 6 days left. I did not think to ask how many days from yesterday that would be. oh well.