PDA

View Full Version : Stitching Night Owl @,@

kimsophia
July 11th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Hoot hoot! I am taking a break from the cross stitching. I can really see the end in sight! Whew!! I hope I can frame it myself to save some money.

Today I scored an IKEA coffee table and side table off of Craigslist for all of ten bucks! Woo!! My buddy helped (they are for his new apartment). I feel pretty good about the furniture situation for him. Some of these college grads are nearly giving their stuff away. He's gotten some great deals.

I hope everybody has a good night and pleasant morning! Hoot your latest! :)

bubba
July 11th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Hoot hoot! I am taking a break from the cross stitching. I can really see the end in sight! Whew!! I hope I can frame it myself to save some money.

Years ago, I took a class on how to frame cross stitch! You buy a foam board and cut it to size. Mark the middles on all four sides. Buy a box of T pins. Figure out how you want your stitching to be centered and find the middle on all four sides. Now take a T pin and put it thru the fabric and match it to one of the matched middle spots on the board, sliding it in from the cut edge so the top of the T is even with the side once it's pushed in all the way. To the same to the opposite side, then repeat with the remaining two sides.

Now, take your T pin and place it to the right of one of the center pins and repeat all the way around. Once all four sides are done, do the same, but place the T pin to the left. Make sure you keep the fabric tight, but don't stretch it too far because then the fabric will get skewed. Your pins should end up touching all the way around.

You will have sore thumbs when you are done, but it will work like a charm! Find mats, if desired, and a frame and seal it all up!

kimsophia
July 11th, 2016, 02:59 AM
What I can't figure out is how to get the frame. I see certain standard size frames in stores, like 8 x 10 or 16 x 20, but my sampler is 5 x 11.5.

bubba
July 11th, 2016, 03:31 AM
What I can't figure out is how to get the frame. I see certain standard size frames in stores, like 8 x 10 or 16 x 20, but my sampler is 5 x 11.5.

You may have to get that specially made, sorry!

LauraP
July 11th, 2016, 03:56 AM
When I was x-stitching they had a foam board with a grid and adhesive. You basically did like you do with quilt batting. Find the middle of the piece and get one side on smooth then do the other side. For frames look at garage sales. I always carry a measuring tape and who cares what the picture looks like. Don't forget a good washing and either a layer of Old English or a coat of paint can make all the difference in the world.

Andrea F
July 11th, 2016, 03:59 AM
Good morning!

Kim, it sounds like those tables were a "Schnšppchen" (great bargain) as we would call it.

Middle sister and I went to the hospital yesterday in the morning. Our younger sister had an emergency surgery Saturday night. She got delivered to the hospital the night before and they had to do diagnositics first, they weren't sure where her pain came from. When they finally operated her, it was high time. Her appendix was inflamed and there was already pus spreading inside her abdomen. Middle sister waited outside the operation room and til they let her out of ICU, which I didn't know, because she was afraid the little one might not come back. The girls still are traumatized by losing our dad and their mom only 2 years later a few years ago. The little one was in pain but felt better already when we visited her. The poor girl has so many health issues, it's horrible.

DS#2 was home for the weekend but only for a quick visit to wash his clothes and get his bag mended. It'll be two weeks until he comes home again. I still hate to see him go each time, I can't get used to it.
Today is work already because DS#1 still has two more weeks in his internship. On Friday, I just brought him there and he came back on his own. I needed to get some household stuff done...

Have a good night and a wonderful day tomorrow!

LauraP
July 11th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Stupid electronic gadgets! I was sleeping good and one of them started beeping. Took me long enough to find it that now I'm awake. And I was in the middle of such a good dream too! I love waltzing with a good looking man. Sigh, guess I'll go read. Luckily one of my electronic gadgets is a paperwhite kindle that I can turn the light down on so it doesn't bother my honey. Night all.

toggpine
July 11th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Some places have frames you can buy in sections. Two pieces each in the length you need.

I'm sure they have made advancements in adhesives, but we were never to use the sticky boards for needle work as, over time, the adhesive can melt through the work and show up as stains, or in some cases it actually ate the threads.
The T pins work, as long as you are careful about hanging it where dampness would rust them. We were trained to use the acid free board and lace the back using the same centering method.
I would recommend a matting if you intend to put it under glass. It will keep your stitches from coming in direct contact with the glass and preserve the threads.

I finished off the hand bag sample for fall sewing class, added the final border to the CoC quilt top, and picked another 4 quarts of blueberries. That makes 8+ Quarts for the year. We'll have muffins all year at this rate, as there is probably another 4-6 quarts of green ones still out there!
Off to tuck in the nest for the night!
Hugs, Cathy

bubba
July 11th, 2016, 04:13 AM
When I was x-stitching they had a foam board with a grid and adhesive. You basically did like you do with quilt batting. Find the middle of the piece and get one side on smooth then do the other side. For frames look at garage sales. I always carry a measuring tape and who cares what the picture looks like. Don't forget a good washing and either a layer of Old English or a coat of paint can make all the difference in the world.

If you use the board w/the adhesive, make sure it is the acid free stuff because it can eat away at your fabric over time.

Granny Judy
July 11th, 2016, 05:18 AM
I was just thinking that getting a matting acid free board with the opening the size of your piece would be a lot less cost.. then a standard size frame could be considered.

As far as stitching goes for me-- I got a bunch of FREE fabric at my guild meeting. I chose fabric that would work for backings on the Orphan blocks/quilts. Now I have 6 quilts to be quilted.. I bought the batting tonight at Wally World.. they sell batting by the yard.. 42 inch wide for 3.88. Cheaper than JoAnns or Quilt stores. For Abuse Center donations, I think these will be perfect.

I love the red and white quilt.. found some great backing fabric for it..at 2.88 a yard at Wally World. Will get photos when they are back from the LA-quilter's. In between putting stuff together for donations, I am still hand stitching on the huge Ghastlie's quilt I've been working on for such a long time. I'm at the borders now.. thankfully I'm seeing the end getting closer and closer.

LynneLeavell
July 11th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I frame my own Cross Stitching. I use the Self Mounting Boards (it has a sticky side) I just make sure that I have all creases and everything out and then I secure it down and then place it in whatever frame I am using and then take either a piece of Card Board or brown paper and put on the back and then put what ever I'm going to use to hang it with and then hang it. So far nothing has come undone and it has been years since they were framed.

Midge
July 11th, 2016, 03:31 PM

You may be able to make it work with a standard size frame, but have the frame shop custom cut matting for you. So you would end up with a piece with a lot of mat, but that can look very dramatic and really call attention to your piece, especially if you play with color contrast. Another option is 2 mats, using the colors from your piece.